Rookie Classes - 2017 vs. 2018

Which class of rookies would win a best-of-seven series?

• Total voters

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Simple enough question here:

Given the two rosters below, comprised entirely of rookies from each of their respective seasons, which do you think would:

a) Win a best-of-seven series if they started play tomorrow?

b) Win a best-of-seven series if they started play five years from now?

Kyle Connor - Matt Barzal - Brock Boeser
Alex DeBrincat - Clayton Keller – Yanni Gourde
Pierre-Luc Dubois – Nico Hischier – Alex Tuch
Jesper Bratt – Alex Kerfoot - Danton Heinen

Thomas Chabot – Charlie McAvoy
Mikhail Sergachev - Will Butcher
Sam Girard - Ryan Pulock

Juuse Saros
David Rittich

Brady Tkachuk – Elias Pettersson – Andrei Svechnikov
Robert Thomas – Colin White – Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Casey Mittelstadt – Filip Chytil – Brett Howden
Drake Batherson – Mathieu Joseph – Eeli Tolvanen

Rasmus Dahlin- Miro Heiskanen
Dennis Cholowski – Henri Jokiharju
Maxime Lajoie – Marcus Pettersson

Cal Petersen
Adin Hill

With regards to the rosters, I did try and squeeze in as much talent as possible, so a few of the forwards may be out of position. With regards to the 2018 rookies, I tried to balance their early production this year with projections of how I think they'll end up as the season goes on, so guys like Mittelstadt and Tolvanen found their way in despite slow or AHL-filled starts.

Reactions: c4rdsh4rk

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
2018 just based on Pettersson and Dahlin. They're both gonna be top 5 players in the league for a long time.
Hmmm....

IMO, these 3 are a lock for the top 5 for the next decade+. McDavid, MacKinnon, Matthews.

Do you agree? You would say that Pettersson & Dahlin are going to fill out the rest of the top 5?

That's quite bold. Don't forget there are new superstars coming into the league every year or two, Lafreniere being the next potential true "superstar". That's not to mention guys like Eichel, Kucherov Rantanen, Pastrnak,etc.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
If they played a BO7 tomorrow 2017 would sweep the series. A third line of PLD - Hischier- Tuch are you kidding me?

Bratt-kerfoot-heinen is arguably better than white - Kotkaniemi - Thomas right now too.

2017 has 3 lines that are first NHL first line talent as of this second

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not really a fair poll as the 2017 group has one more year for players to break out.
I think though the 2018 group ends up having the two best players of the two years in Dahlin and Pettersson so I voted them to win in 5 years.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Wasnt the rookie class of 2017 Matthews, Laine, etc one? Or does it go by the end of the season. I thought barzal, keller etc would be from class of 2018 and Dahlin+Petterson etc would be 2019

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Wasnt the rookie class of 2017 Matthews, Laine, etc one? Or does it go by the end of the season. I thought barzal, keller etc would be from class of 2018 and Dahlin+Petterson etc would be 2019

Honestly, you're probably right. Oversight on my part, but hopefully people get what I'm going for.

Reactions: hamzarocks

c4rdsh4rk

Sep 17, 2007
2017 now but i think 18 has more elite guys in 5 years to beat the depth of team 17

plus cal petersen will be the most effective goalie of the bunch.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
2017 is deeper, but man that 2018 power play unit would be insane.

Tkachuk – Pettersson – Svechnikov
Dahlin - Heiskanen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad