Rumor: Ron Hainsey

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
I know you can never tell about things from hockeybuzz but what do you think about Ron Hainsey?
Eklund says Caroling,Columbus,Washington,Nashville in on him

Would you like to sign him?
For how much?
How long?
What would he bring to our team?

Rankelson

Sep 23, 2010
Hainsey would be an ok addition to the 2nd or 3rd pair and I would give him 2 years and around $2 - 2,5M per. He is asking a lot more though so I wouldn't bother to go to a bidding war over him.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'd love to get Hainsey. He's great in the locker room and a solid puck moving D who has really upped his game in the defensive zone since his move to the Peg. In addition, getting him would allow us to send Jones back to Juniors and take our time with his development.

The issue I see in this is his potential cost. The reason I don't believe we'd get him because he was making $4.5 and is now only 32. I really don't see a big paycut in his future. I bet his contract is no less than $12/3 yrs.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I'd love to get Hainsey. He's great in the locker room and a solid puck moving D who has really upped his game in the defensive zone since his move to the Peg. In addition, getting him would allow us to send Jones back to Juniors and take our time with his development.

The issue I see in this is his potential cost. The reason I don't believe we'd get him because he was making $4.5 and is now only 32. I really don't see a big paycut in his future. I bet his contract is no less than $12/3 yrs.

If we did happen to sign him I don't think it would move Jones back to the CHL. I think he would end up on the third line and that is perfect for him. Ellis would be the one we would have to look into moving imo. We have 3 right handed d-men signed for the next 3 years and Jones would be restricted after that. Hainsey on a 2-3 year deal would give us a little more time to make sure Ekholm isn't rushed into playing heavy minutes.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
If we did happen to sign him I don't think it would move Jones back to the CHL. I think he would end up on the third line and that is perfect for him. Ellis would be the one we would have to look into moving imo. We have 3 right handed d-men signed for the next 3 years and Jones would be restricted after that. Hainsey on a 2-3 year deal would give us a little more time to make sure Ekholm isn't rushed into playing heavy minutes.

Possibly, though I believe in interviews some of the coaching staff said they are expecting Ekholm to make the club this year. Though, granted this is pre-Hainsey.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
I know you can never tell about things from hockeybuzz but what do you think about Ron Hainsey?
Eklund says Caroling,Columbus,Washington,Nashville in on him

Would you like to sign him?
For how much?
How long?
What would he bring to our team?

Okay, so that means he'll sign with Florida, thanks

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Hainsey being signed (i doubt it happens) likely costs Ekholm a spot, which I'm fine with...I've seen no evidence that he's NHL ready.

That said...eklund.
I'm going to disagree a bit here. In his one brief game he was noticeable with the puck and invisible without for the most part, which is what every defenseman strives for, for the most part.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
If, and that is a BIG if, we sign him who do we trade? We don't have the Cap space to spend a whole lot and especially to have 7-8 D-men on the roster:
Weber-Josi
Klein-Jones
Hainsey-Bartley/Ekholm/Ellis/COR/?

Not sure that is in our best interest, especially at $12/3...

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
No to Hainsey. Let the kids take their lumps and learn as a unit. The kids up front are going to have to learn too. Rather have the kids learn than to give the minutes to vets who aren't in our long term plans. The only thing Jones, Ekholm, Ellis and Bartley need is minutes on the ice. Hainsey takes away from that.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
If, and that is a BIG if, we sign him who do we trade? We don't have the Cap space to spend a whole lot and especially to have 7-8 D-men on the roster:
Weber-Josi
Klein-Jones
Hainsey-Bartley/Ekholm/Ellis/COR/?

Not sure that is in our best interest, especially at $12/3...

We have the space, but you'd probably have to be certain a deal is in place for Smith/Spals/Other before hand to help.

As far as the D space goes, at mentioned, one of Ekholm or Jones heads back to the minors (which I'm OK with)... and COR?? Wasn't he in Cincy last year?

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND

Seth Jones starts the year with Nashville, period. If anyone is the odd man out, it's Ellis, who has tried and tried and failed to make a serious NHL impact.

I would pass on Hainsey, though, unless he comes in as a Bouillon-style tryout contract.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
he would be a nice addition but those of you who think our fourth line is overpaid Im sure would totally flip out if we paid a guy 4 million(which is what he will cost, minimum) to play on our 3rd pair.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Would be nice to have, but not at that asking price. Would want him for 2.5 for one year or something.

If he is signed, I bet Ellis or Ekholm is moved along with a forward.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
We're letting the kids play on D, unless Eckholm comes to camp and falls completely on his face, or Ellis comes in and hasn't gotten stronger and still get too easily pushed around.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
We're letting the kids play on D, unless Eckholm comes to camp and falls completely on his face, or Ellis comes in and hasn't gotten stronger and still get too easily pushed around.

I won't say "likely", but both are certainly possible.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
At this point, if we bring in no one, we are counting on one of Jones, Ellis, Ekholm, and Bartley being ready for top four minutes, and two of the remaining three being ready for third pairing minutes capable of filling in on the 2nd pairing in case of injury. That isn't too outlandish or anything, but it's something to thing about. If two of those four falter, we're in trouble.

Gilbert may be a cheaper option, albeit a little worse. Can we get either one a one year deal? We can always sign them for a year and ship them off as a rental if the other guys step up, assuming they'll agree to a single season contract.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
If Bartley can improve on his Rookie season last yr (ranked 16th best D rookie in points) and Jones plays better than (Schultz, Weircioch or Muzzin to name a few) or just as good then I think our D will be just fine!

Bartley overall had a good season (IMO). He was ranked in the top 20 in all categories except a couple and several he was ranked in the top 10 (for rookie D). I think VB will surprise a lot of Preds this coming yr!

I don't think we need to spend the $$ on Hainsey. Package a few forwards and go get a Top 6 to help us out. That is what we need.

BK Supman

Mar 5, 2013
We could probably use him, but I don't see us making any moves on the defensive end unless one of the youngin's plays so bad that it becomes a necessity

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
If you had the choice then when you sign Hainsey or Gilbert?
Both have some flaws so who would you rather have seeing how both are still out there?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If you had the choice then when you sign Hainsey or Gilbert?
Both have some flaws so who would you rather have seeing how both are still out there?

Hainsey is a much better defenseman than Gilbert. Gilbert's game isn't that different from Franson really, with many of the same weaknesses.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00