Ron Francis

Pear Juice

Dec 12, 2007
Gothenburg, SWE
A discussion board where everyone just gave their opinions on certain subjects without discussing them would be pretty damn boring in my eyes. Of course opinions are subjective, but by all means, please try to articulate them anyway. Determining a specific hockey player's 'greatness' is no exact science, thus this 'burden of proof' that you're talking about does not exist.

To use the same analogy that you did. If I join a political debate with the single argument: 'You guys are all wrong and I don't care to tell you why.'. Then I'd probably be either thrown out or laughed at by the others. At the very least, my contribution to the debate is non-existant and the points that I actually do have (but aren't explaining) are not communicated to the others. If I have already decided that the people that I am discussing with won't listen to what I am saying, then why do I join at all?

I'd very much like to hear your take on Ron Francis and his career. If it's all about seeing him play then fine, I'll accept that. Just don't go into defensive mode as soon as somebody doesn't hold your opinion.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Geez Vagrant, I'm probably one of the biggest Francis supporters around here, and argued about him with Thornton numerous times, but even though he's exaggerating a bit again (Gilmour? Oates?), he's mostly right. If you take a look at the names in the top 50, Francis just can't crack it no matter what (no, he's not even better than Sakic). Brett Hull is 67th, Stastny 73rd. I'd put Ronnie somewhere in between them.
Which is completely reasonable, even though I disagree.

Between the 70-110 spot, everyone is going to be very close, and then it comes down to opinion on what is more important based on preference.

I was just sitting back and watching the dog pile mentality that occurs when you run a quick checklist of all the tired and cliche points that people make about Francis and the fact that they're off base and without merit. I didn't offer to debunk them because I don't have to in order to have an opinion. That's what these boards are for, correct?

No where in the user agreement does it say, if you post an opinion you have to post seventy lines of useless rhetoric to back it up but reading through this board in particular sometimes you'd think it was a mandate.

I think Francis is so underrated it's criminal. I think a lot of those points I mentioned above were baseless. I don't have the burden of proof to defend those points because they're subjective in nature.

I also raised some points in my initial post that I think points could be made in opposition against in regards to Francis, as it was only a list of what to prepare to hear, and didn't so much intend to call those in particular baseless as much as those who hold fast to those reasons and those reasons alone.

I would break out the list and start moving names around, but it's obvious that kind of thing isn't looked upon very highly here and is issued as more of a challenge than a reasonable consideration. Not many have the objectivity to reevaluate the work they've compiled and the opinions that contradict their findings.
No, you did not offer to because you are incapable of putting up an argument. All the points you cited that get brought up against Francis are not baseless. They are LEGITIMATE points that if you contest, should provide an explanation why because they are sound points.

With all due respect, these boards would be pretty boring if everyone just posted their beliefs without giving explanations...no one would learn anything that way...and to be honest, I come to the history boards in particular to learn things about the history of hockey and to hear different opinions than mine.

Quite frankly, I'm interested in why you believe Francis is a top 10 offensive player of all time. I agree with you that he's underrated, but not to that extent...I generally put him around 50-70 in the all-time player ranking (as opposed to top 30).
Exactly

I sort of picked and chose certain quotes from here without referencing them properly, sorry.
Ugh. This is going to be messy. Please learn the proper use of the multi quote function so that we can keep this clean.

Now if it was a list of the most consistently good players in history, he'd probably be top 10.
Isn't that exactly what an all time list should be, people who got it done over and over irregardless of circumstance?
The top 10 is a list using several criteria. Prime, peak, consistency, Longevity, Regular season and playoff value, among others. Consistency is only 1 part of it.

Another thing to remember is this. Scoring 77-90 points in the 80's is akin to scoring 60-83 points now. Its not eye popping. Merely "Star" caliber.
His top 20 point finishes are as follows. 17th, 11th, 12th, 20th, 20th, 15th, 5th, 4th, 8th, 5th, 17th, 9th.

Probably, I didn't see a lot of the greats play unfortunately.
which is a shame. but you are in the right section to see clips of them:)

Please do, there may be 30 or even 50 better defensive forwards but how many of them put up the points Francis did. Let's say he's 50th, isn't being the 50th best defensive forward and the 5th best scoring forward reason alone for a higher placing on the list.
If you mean "Two way forwards" instead of "Defensive forwards, then I can name a fair deal of excellent two way forwards as well.

There is a very subtle change in the way they started awarding the Selke in the 90's, as they stopped giving it to the best Defensive forward and started giving it to the highest scoring forwards who backchecked well for a short burst. Gilmour and Francis were never the best defensive players in the league, but they were good and scored in bunches, so they got the Trophy. Fedorov is an exception because he actually WAS the best defensive forward while scoring a bunch, short as his prime was.

However, if you start going only by "Two way forward", then dozens of stars from the early days of Hockey fall into the mix because you could not play in the league back then if you could not play both ends of the ice well. Howe, Mikita, Hull, Morenz, Lemaire, Lindsay, Trottier, Kurri, Beliveau, Henri Richard, Clapper, etc etc

Wow, not me, Francis was a better player in every way possible.
In longevity and Consistency Francis wins. Gilmour was a guy who went to the next level in the playoffs in a way Francis never did, and he absolutely carried that leaf team on his back. Gilmour managed 95 assists when nobody on his team even had more than 34 goals. 127 points when his next 2 closest teammates had 74 and 65 points.

His playoffs were spectacular and he was every bit as good a backchecker as Francis. Gilmour was one of the best clutch players in the league. Francis was not. Francis stats took a downslide in the playoffs, while Gilmour's went up.

Jagr, like I said in my opening post, I didn't go back and look at the list but I'm sure there are a lot more who I wouild put behind Francis, maybe I'll go back and pick out the names when I have a little more time.
What???? Why in the heck would Francis be ahead of Jagr?
I am among the biggest Jagr downplayers on this board, but even I would not think of dropping Francis within 30 spots of Jagr. Jagr was THE best player in the world for a good stretch, and was a country mile ahead of Francis. No amount of Defensive play or leadership closes the enormous gap between them offensively. Jagr is a 7 time 1st team all star, and a 1 time second teamer.
Jagr consistently stayed the leagues best scorers, even after Francis left to go back to the Canes, and Francis scoring dipped below what it was without Jagr, although he stayed "consistent"

He played on some pretty poor teams for most of his career, he didn't have much help in Hartford or Carolina and he didn't play on Jagr/Lemiuex's line in Pitt. No matter what you think he is the 5th greatest scorer of all time, look at the stats, I don't think he's one of the 5 most talented offensive players but you can't dispute the stats.
Uh, heck yes you can dispute the stats. We are doing it now. Playing a long time and scoring a lot does not equal being the best scorer. In order to be great, you need to be great, not just good.

Second. Barring special circumstances(Lemieux/Gretzky), Teams and Linemates only have a marginal impact on personal scoring.

He's better than Sakic imo, not as much of a goal scorer but a petter passer and better in his own end. And Francis is worlds better than Hull. No matter how well he could put the puck in the net, he was nowhere near the all around player Francis was, and didn't do it for nearly as long.
Hull is one of the Great Debates around here, but Sakic is not. Sakic is better than Francis by a large amount. Bigger game breaker, scorer, nearly equal defensively, and better leader.

Yzerman was not a good defensive player for a lot of his career, he learned that towards the end, and Sakic (though good in his own end) isn't in the same league as Francis.
Francis was not a good defensive player until the late 80's either.

And Yes, Sakic and Yzerman stand well beside Francis defensively. Offensively and regarding playoff play and Clutch leadership, they are far and above Francis.

Jungosi

Jan 14, 2007
Rendsburg / Germany
I really don't see how what I said could be construed as trolling. I didn't attack anybody and posted my opinion. The responses to my posts were closer to trolling than anything else in the thread.

The responses you recieved were as far away from trolling you can get. You listed several points that are put up against Francis. Most of them are statiscly proven.

He has 5 top-10 finishes in scoring (5,4,8,5,9). 4 of them with Jagr or Lemieux.Led the league in assists twice but Mario and Jagr help SO much here.He never won a Hart trophy and has one Selke + 3 Lady Byngs. A lot of people don't give the Selke-voting of the early 90's a lot of credit because it was more like 100 points and solid defensively then extra ordinary defensively. A good but not really dominant resume. Compare it with similar players ahead of him :

Peter Stastny - 6 times in the top-10 (6,3,2,4,6,5). His best mate was Michel Goulet. Great player but obviously nowhere near Jaromir or Mario. Not as good defensively as Francis but no slouch either. Great playoff performer on an "Okay-team". Neither of them has a post-season allstar selection. Both have 3 inoffical third-team selections (http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=407941&highlight=stastny+all+star) Stastny had a slightly harder competition.

A look at their Hart placements : Stastny (4,8,7) , Francis (9,6). Francis did not get mentioned at all in his best offensive years.

I'm not a fan of counting cups and I'll put it like this : Stastny had almost certainly won a cup or two with those Penguin teams. So all in all a similar result but if you put Stastny on a team that would have boosted his stats a bit you'd see the difference more clearly.

Gilbert Perrault - Spectecular player , 5 top-10 finishes in scoring (9,3,5,8,4) + 2 2nd-team all star selections and 3 times a "third-team all-star" (behind Esposito and Clarke mostly). Hart finishes (10,5,8,7). Good playoff resume but no cup. Kind of unlucky in that department. Not sure about his all-round game. Centered the famed French Connection line with Rick Martin and Rene Robert. Similar results but I think a lot of people have Perreault higher because of his style.

Sergei Fedorov - Has a Hart , a Lester and two Selkes. Two times top-10 in scoring (3,9). Sick playoff-performer.Francis. Is nearly the opposite of Francis. Inconsistent and moody. But he was a serious Conn Smythe candidate 4 times. He was there when it counted. One of the best all-round players of all-time (a notch below likes of Trottier and Clarke but better than Francis.). Lot of people bash him for his character issues and prefer Francis for being consistent and quiet and it really comes down to personal preferrence here I guess.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Just for what it's worth, I don't see any trolling here yet. Emphasis on "yet". :laugh:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Just for what it's worth, I don't see any trolling here yet. Emphasis on "yet". :laugh:

Well it won't be coming from my direction! I know i'm making a lot of people angry with my refusal to feed the sharks but i'm not going to go around attacking anybody because they disagree.

Nothing wrong with a heated exchange as far as i'm concerned. I just try not to enter battles that even if debated properly will result in no changed minds. You kind of have to accept your audience.

My first post in this thread was a cliff notes version of what the thread was going to be about and people didn't take too kindly to being preempted and told that view was invalid in my opinion. Such is life.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Well it won't be coming from my direction! I know i'm making a lot of people angry with my refusal to feed the sharks but i'm not going to go around attacking anybody because they disagree.

Nothing wrong with a heated exchange as far as i'm concerned. I just try not to enter battles that even if debated properly will result in no changed minds. You kind of have to accept your audience.

My first post in this thread was a cliff notes version of what the thread was going to be about and people didn't take too kindly to being preempted and told that view was invalid in my opinion. Such is life.
Actually, people didn't take too kindly to you citing the Legitimate points against Francis and calling them baseless without explaining why you think legitimate factual points are baseless.

Then the Kicker
Francis was a rare combination of scoring prowess, leadership, and stellar defensive play to the likes that have not been seen since.
A blatant exaggeration that only the most hardened home team fan would make. There have been several of this type of player since(And during Francis run), many better(Sakic, Forsberg, Yzerman, Alfredson, And more recently the emergence of Datsyuk and Zetterberg). Francis was a "Great" defensive player, not a stellar one. Stellar two way player yes, but Defensively, he is behind many. He was Not a Bobby Clarke or Dave Keon, Jari Kurri, Bryan Trottier or even a Sergei Fedorov.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
You know, I've never really liked the "he was never top-5 at his position argument" in any discussion, and Francis especially gets shafted by it. By the time he entered the league, Gretzky, Messier and Trottier were all more or less stars in the game. Just a couple years after his rookie season Steve Yzerman and then Mario Lemieux joined the league. When Trottier declined, Sakic entered the league. My point is, when all-time greats like Newsly Lalonde, Milt Schmidt, Henri Richard, and Cyclone Taylor would struggle to establish themselves as top-5 centers league-wide, had their career paths followed that of Francis, how do you penalize Ron Francis for it? Then you factor in the many other centers who competed with Francis at the time, and you can very well see why that's the case. I'm not going to argue he should be much higher than 91, but when you consider how good of a player he was for such a long time, and how realistically the whole era thing was stacked against him(not to mention where he played), it's easy to see why he should be in the 70s or so on an all-time list.

Germz

4th liners ftw
Aug 14, 2008
Toronto, ON
Ron Francis was a very good player for a very long time. He was a model of consistency, a polished two-way player, an underrated playmaker, a fine leader, and one of the most respected, gentlemanly sportsmen ever to have played the game. Hockey is better for having had him, and could use more just like him. Any team would have loved to have had him. And he was also underrated as a clutch performer. He excelled at winning key faceoffs. And 16 points in 23 games during the 2002 playoffs (at age 39), captaining the Hurricanes to the Finals, was a terrific final achievement.

All in all, very deserving of his first-ballot HHOF induction.

But I don't feel that he has been mistreated at 94th overall. I think that's a fine testament. I can't speak for the old-timers, but of his contemporaries, he doesn't deserve to rank above the others just above him. Scott Stevens is at 92nd, almost in a dead heat with Francis, and I think that's fair. I would agree that Makarov and Fedorov, at 77th and 80th, deserve to be above him. The same goes for Forsberg at 74th, Stastny at 73rd, and MacInnis at 64th. The only debatable one of these is Brett Hull, who I have never liked (especially since Adam Oates fails to make the list). But at least Hull, for all his flaws, was considered in his prime to be the BEST in the league at something. Francis, as good as he was, was never that dominant.

Does Francis deserve to be ahead of MacInnis, Forsberg, Stastny, Fedorov or Makarov? I don't think so, although you can make the argument. And think of all the players Francis DID beat to make it to 94th: Leetch, Oates, Lindros, Bure, Selanne, Sundin, Modano, LaFontaine, Nicholls to name a few. Some had more dominant peaks than Francis but lose out presumably because of lack of lengevity(edit) and overall play (Lindros, Bure, LaFontaine). Others were very consistent but were either less dominant or played less of a complete game (Sundin, Selanne, Modano, Oates, Nicholls).

So overall, with regard to his contemporaries at least, I think Francis is treated fairly on this list, although there is room for debate.

I can't begin to compare players from past eras, though.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I just want to know who on this list everyone thinks Francis could be ahead of?

My list was posted earlier as I was part of the HoH top 100 project. Obviously there will be a few changes but I had him in my top 50. Lowest I would probably move him is #60. Mikhailov, Tretiak, Cleghorn (I was sold on arguments for him) and probably Busher Jackson (omission on my list) I would have in front of him from those below #55, and there's a few like Dionne I would have below them. Somewhere between Moore and Kurri sounds about right to me.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people saying he's about where he should have been. I just disagree.

Last edited:

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
I don't see how a player we have in the top 100 of all time (an incredible accomplishment) can be seen as "underrated". Unless you can give suggestions and arguments why he is better than those listed ahead of him....

As Thornton_19 already noted;
"the distance between players between 70-110 is very small. In fact, it generally comes down to preference. Each player has a legitimate case."

I look forward to hearing any argument that places him any higher than 70.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Not many have the objectivity to reevaluate the work they've compiled and the opinions that contradict their findings.

I assume you just looked at our final list and didn't take time to read about the process for our Top 100 project (which is understandable, really, there are dozens of threads on the topic). First we required each individual poster to submit a list. Next, we had a thorough round-by-round discussion/debate. Finally, we voted on the final list. The whole process took about 3 months.

One poster compiled & analyzed the pre-discussion and post-discussion (final) list. Among other findings, we noticed that the average player changed about 9% in rankings, after three months of fairly intense debates. I think this is solid evidence that the posters here are willing to change their opinions based on compelling arguments-- most of the players on our list are dead or retired, so it's not like they added anything to their legacies over the summer.

For example, I'm a big supporter of Bill Cook. I could have said "Cook is a top 30ish all-time player", left it as an opinion, and never supported it. You're correct -- anybody is free to have any opinion, supported or not. However, if I just left that as an opinion, and never made a case for Cook, nobody would have any reason to change their minds. I (and others) provided some strong reasons why Cook was underrated, and why the "conventional wisdom" about him was wrong. Cook's ranking jumped 14% after the discussions. I think the HOH Top 100 project shows that we're open to revising our opinions -- as long as we have a good argument that our old opinion was wrong.

Last edited:

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Anyone who wants to legitimately discuss Ron Francis is free to do so.

Anyone who wants to incite other posters without contributing content is also free to do so. Due to cutbacks in the economy, these individuals will be taxed by way of infraction points.

Thank you for your time.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Actually, people didn't take too kindly to you citing the Legitimate points against Francis and calling them baseless without explaining why you think legitimate factual points are baseless

You didn't actually say anything that I didn't there. In your opinion, those points were legitimate in bold, and to me those points were illegitimate in bold. That is where the difference of opinion originates, you see. As I said, others here are expressing their views as to why those points are legitimate without corroboration and the same luxary is afforded to me. In subjective viewpoints, you cannot nail down anything legitimate in comparison. I think they're wrong and said as much. You think they're right and were offended by my assertion. What am I missing here?

Maybe I should be offended by those that are spreading these supposed illegitimate points around, but i'm not of that variety. I don't have to have everybody in the world agree with the view from my seats. Call it a difference in approach.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
So I'm curious, do you also believe Alex Delvecchio is hugely underrated at 96, or Norm Ullman at 99? Johnny Bucyk at 87? Becuase these guys all compare very closely with Francis, and they're all lumped together in the same area of the list. You should be up in arms with Mike Gartner's exclusion from the list based on your criteria. Although I suppose we don't know what your criteria is, since you have steadfastly refused to support any of your arguments or provided any evidence contrary to ours.

Randall Graves*

Ron Francis is one of the best true two way players I have ever seen, he is massively underrated no doubt about it, and vagrant already outlined the predictable arguments.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
So I'm curious, do you also believe Alex Delvecchio is hugely underrated at 96, or Norm Ullman at 99? Johnny Bucyk at 87? Becuase these guys all compare very closely with Francis, and they're all lumped together in the same area of the list. You should be up in arms with Mike Gartner's exclusion from the list based on your criteria. Although I suppose we don't know what your criteria is, since you have steadfastly refused to support any of your arguments or provided any evidence contrary to ours.

I try to stay away from the evaluation of players that played the majority of their games before I was of age to evaluate them based on criteria that matters.

I assume that at least three quarters of the people here never saw Delvecchio take a live shift in his prime. When you're dealing with players that you didn't watch play a great deal in your lifetime you have to be careful to avoid falling victim to the nostalgia of your sources. I know that Thornton 19 is an older gentleman and did have the tremendous opportunity to see a lot of these players live and I trust he is fair in his evaluation, but I do reserve the right to respectfully disagree with his take on Francis in particular.

I do think it's unfortunate to not see Mike Gartner on the list. I think he was a better player than many give him credit for. I just fail to see the point behind making a list of players that include guys that most people can't even find video of to evaluate their greatness.

But from what I do see from the players that I do know, a lot of the current day stars are getting the shaft based on everybody being so familiar with them that they know the insides and outsides of their flaws where as with the elder statesmen those are less obvious because there is naturally less exposure to them.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Mike Gartner is a great comparison for Francis (although Francis was better). Both tended to be overrated right after retirement due to career numbers and consistency, when neither one was ever considered a dominant player in the league when he played. If anything, I think Francis is too high. I'd have him towards the end of the top 120 probably.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I try to stay away from the evaluation of players that played the majority of their games before I was of age to evaluate them based on criteria that matters.

I do think it's unfortunate to not see Mike Gartner on the list. I think he was a better player than many give him credit for. I just fail to see the point behind making a list of players that include guys that most people can't even find video of to evaluate their greatness.

If that's the case, then it's completely illogical to claim Francis is underrated on our list, or that Mike Gartner should be on the list. You don't want to evaluate older players who you didn't see, yet you then go and claim that Francis and Gartner should be rated higher than them?!

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
If that's the case, then it's completely illogical to claim Francis is underrated on our list, or that Mike Gartner should be on the list. You don't want to evaluate older players who you didn't see, yet you then go and claim that Francis and Gartner should be rated higher than them?!

No sir, that wasn't my claim at all. I simply noted where Francis was ranked according to his contemporaries and take issue with that. Fedorov, Stevens, Perrault, Forsberg, Hull, Coffey, Chelios, and how far from Yzerman and Sakic the list has him ranked.

In accordance with how those players were ranked, it seems odd to me to have him ranked as low as he was ranked. I cannot speak to players like Syl Apps and the Tim Horton's of the world, though his work with donut holes has been admirable enough.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
No sir, that wasn't my claim at all. I simply noted where Francis was ranked according to his contemporaries and take issue with that. Fedorov, Stevens, Perrault, Forsberg, Hull, Coffey, Chelios, and how far from Yzerman and Sakic the list has him ranked.

Fair enough then, though with no reasoning behind your opinions they carry very little weight IMO.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Vagrant, I have to agree. Everyone else - or at least those who participated in the Top 100 project - has their opinions, and the reasons behind them, on the record.

Why not step up and give the logic behind your opinion? It's more difficult, but it's probably more rewarding as well.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Every single one of those players was in the conversation for best player at his position for more than one year of his career. Yzerman and Sakic for pretty much their entire careers. Francis was never in the conversation for best player at his position.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
You’re not going to draw me out with amateurish reverse psychology. There are no shortages of holes in every one of those points to divulge into but it’s not really worth the time when you know that 95% of your audience has already decided. It’s like scheduling a presidential debate for November 8th. It isn’t a coincidence that I was able to preempt a lot of these contrived talking points about Francis. I’ve seen it happen on this board for years.

I'm a Pens fan who cheered for Francis when he was at his statistical peak with the boys in black & yellow. And I gotta say the comment about him being among the greatest all-time defensive forwards is a stretch. He was very good, but, hey, a lot of guys are very good. His defensive skill stood out because of his offensive prowess and because, as a first- and second-line center during his career, he was one the ice far more often than third- and fourth-line defensive specialists.

What I loved about Francis is that he worked his ass off and maximized his skills. There was not an ounce of unrealized talent with him. From faceoffs to front-of-the-net midair redirections on the PP (man, was he good at that!) to dilligent defensive play, he was a student of the game who complemented his natural talents with an amazing degree of professionalism and hard work.

I don't know if he should be #51 or #64 or #82 or #97, but I don't think he's top 40 or so, and that's coming from a guy whose knowlege of hockey history is really limited when it comes to the pre-1980 guys. Hell, in under 20 seconds I came up with 10 active players since 1990 who I'd probably put ahead of him.

Ronnie's one of the greats, but he's not one of the great greats.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
You know, I've never really liked the "he was never top-5 at his position argument" in any discussion, and Francis especially gets shafted by it.

That argument is especially unfair for those who play in the 30-team NHL. It was easier to be among the top five centers in a league with only 12 or 21 teams.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
That argument is especially unfair for those who play in the 30-team NHL. It was easier to be among the top five centers in a league with only 12 or 21 teams.

But it does matter when you compare players of the same era. Yzerman and Sakic played the same era as Francis, and they were consistently top 5 at their position. Whereas Francis pretty much never was. Hence, they are rated significantly higher than him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad