Confirmed with Link: Ron Francis extended 2018/2019

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=891781

RALEIGH, NC – Peter Karmanos Jr., Chief Executive Officer, Owner and Governor for the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has signed Executive Vice President and General Manager Ron Francis to a contract extension through the 2018-19 season. Francis will be available to discuss the extension today at 3 p.m. in the fourth-floor conference room at PNC Arena.

“Ron has rebuilt our organization the right way, stocking our team and system with young players who will help this franchise compete for the Stanley Cup year in and year out,†said Karmanos. “I’m thrilled that he will continue to see the job through. The future is very bright for the Hurricanes in Carolina.â€

Francis, 53, is in his 11th season in management with the Hurricanes and his third as general manager. Under his leadership, the Hurricanes improved 15 points in the NHL standings in 2015-16, despite utilizing the youngest group of forwards and the youngest corps of defensemen in the NHL. Francis has added young talent to the organization including Noah Hanifin, Teuvo Teravainen, Sebastian Aho, Haydn Fleury, Jake Bean and Julien Gauthier. The Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., native previously worked for the team as director of player development, assistant general manager, associate head coach and director of hockey operations.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
He's going to take us far, he's done wonderful things for the organization since his tenure as GM. Can't wait to see how the team looks in 2-3 seasons! Very well deserved extension.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Reading the threads on the main prospect board, Pronmann came out with a couple of lists. He ranked the teams with the best prospect pools and Canes came in 5th, behind Tor, AZ, WPG, and CLB

In his ranking of the top 120 prospects, he had Aho at #10. I can't see the whole list, but someone posted how many prospects in the top 120, the top 5 teams have: Leafs have 8 prospects total, Coyotes have 9, Jets have 4, Canes have 8, Jackets have 5.

I'd have to say this is the first time I've ever seen anyone rank the Canes this high. Of course, this is probably the worst stretch of hockey they've played over the past 7 years so they should have a good pool, but some of the credit obviously goes to Francis as well. Now the real test is to turn prospects into NHLrs.

Last edited:

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Seems like a lotta term for a guy who hasn't won a Cup as gm yet :sarcasm:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well there's an obvious extension. It's hard to be even excited about it.

The change in philosophy and just general attitude is night and day. Hiring Peters was a solid move, and a lot of the rest is just being a good gm by staying out of the way. Let the scouts pick good players. Don't trade them too soon. Invest a little in development. Don't make moves that jeopardize the future for a present that doesn't really have a chance to win. He's actually made very few moves, which was exactly the right move.

Building depth is hardly impossible. Just keep your hand off the phone for a couple of years, and staying out of your own way helps a lot. Take advantage of other teams money issues when it presents itself. RF has done a great job of sticking to a straight forward and basic plan. The real judge will be what we do from here. Of the new found depth, who do we invest in? How do we fix the goalies? Turning a bad team into a mediocre one was the first task. Turning a mediocre one into a winner is what makes you great. This guys has been my hero since I was 12, there's no one I'd rather see succeed in this role.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
In 3 seasons (maybe 2), we'll see how good of a job Francis has really done as he'll have been at the helm 5 years which is long enough to make his mark. I like a lot of what he's done and the methodical approach he's taken, but in the end, they have to start winning and doing it regularly.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
In 3 seasons (maybe 2), we'll see how good of a job Francis has really done as he'll have been at the helm 5 years which is long enough to make his mark. I like a lot of what he's done and the methodical approach he's taken, but in the end, they have to start winning and doing it regularly.

I think with what we what we have, this is the last season we aren't over the bubble team.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Part one of the Francis plan has been great. Be patient and collect a lot of great young assets. We'll see how good he is at part two, which is some combination of a couple guys outperforming their fairly high expectations to become very high end players, and/or being able to cash in on some of those assets at the right time with the right big move or two to make things happen.

Francis seems like he's got what it takes to make that happen. I just hope he is capable of making some bold moves here in the next year or so to really propel us to the next level, and doesn't stay too vanilla. He's likely going to hold a lot of cards with a fairly good cap situation and a ton of assets. Hopefully he'll be just at good at leveraging those to get us to the next level as he has been in getting us to where we are right now.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think with what we what we have, this is the last season we aren't over the bubble team.

Until we get better goaltending and more talent up front, or the players we have upfront start performing substantial better, that's going to be a tall order IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad