Speculation: Romanov's next contract

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
Is Romanov really worth investing eight years? Isn't it strange for a rebuilding team to sign players for that long knowing there will be so much uncertainty to come?
Yes he definitely is. He’s already proved himself and it’s only the beginning. If we wanna start building some certainty on this team then it’s a good idea to lock him up.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
With all the ridiculous young defensemen contracts handed out last year, it kind of sucks for the team with him needing a new deal. Could be a gross ask from his agent

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I mean 4-5m is probably what he will make in his prime, no need to give him that kind of money when we can sign him that in 2-3 years when he will have real prove it.

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
I feel like this place is still drooling over the idea of Romanov rather than the player we have here. Anything over 2.5m-3m seems like a ridiculous overpayment, two seasons in the books and it’s a stretch to call him a #4. Love his unique skill set but cmon.

Reactions: Vachon23

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
I do realize this he was a top 4 on the worst team in the league, and I might be in the minority here but I also think he's shown that he's a legitimate top 4D (or better) in the making and if Romanov as a player believes this too, then he has absolutely no reason to settle on an 8 year over a bridge.

I'm sure he realizes he'll be closer to a top 4D in 2 years than he is now, thus earning him better money in 2 years. If he thinks he's plateau'd or simply wants security because he's not risk adverse then sure, he'll take that 8 years contract like KK did.

That being said, I also don't think Hughes should throw an 8 year his way as well. Give him 2 more years to prove himself.

What's the upside?

He's not playing PP, so he's not going to rack up points.

Absolute best case for a shutdown D is a Lindell/Pelech type contract at 5.5-6. And most are in the 5 million range. With some like Pesce/Carlo at 4.

You really going to gamble 30 million guaranteed, that you may never see if you get injured/suck, for 1 million AAV (8 million total/4 after tax)?

I understand for Caufield, who could score 40 next year and raise his AAV by 3 million, but not Romanov. The market for that type of D is pretty set.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Well obviously I'm exaggerating in this case, but I'm eager to be educated on Romanov. You say he was "handling" his minutes. I say he was drowning more often than not. What am I not seeing with this kid?

Well to start, let's look at his minutes. He played more total and PK minutes over the year than any other skater on the whole team. As a 21/22 year old.

Meanwhile he was on the first PK unit, and had next to no PP time, with guys like Clague playing 3 times his total PP minutes in 1/4 his TOI. He also had the lowest OZ start% on the team.

It got to the point where I wondered if they were intentionally holding him in a wasted year to sign him more easily this summer.

He was 6th league wide in hits this year (among Dmen) and dominated all other Habs Dmen in total and per game (guys like Chiarot, Edmundson, Savard - not fairies).

Top 20 league-wide in blocked shots and 1st on the team while all of Petry, Edmundson, and Savard (and Clague, and Kulak) had a higher giveaway/60.

All at 21/22, with significantly improving advanced statistics after hiring MSL.

I'd say he's the perfect candidate for a long term deal, because his positive qualities are more subtle and he shouldn't command the price more accurately portrayed by his impact.

Reactions: viceroy

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Well to start, let's look at his minutes. He played more total and PK minutes over the year than any other skater on the whole team. As a 21/22 year old.

Meanwhile he was on the first PK unit, and had next to no PP time, with guys like Clague playing 3 times his total PP minutes in 1/4 his TOI. He also had the lowest OZ start% on the team.

It got to the point where I wondered if they were intentionally holding him in a wasted year to sign him more easily this summer.

He was 6th league wide in hits this year (among Dmen) and dominated all other Habs Dmen in total and per game (guys like Chiarot, Edmundson, Savard - not fairies).

Top 20 league-wide in blocked shots and 1st on the team while all of Petry, Edmundson, and Savard (and Clague, and Kulak) had a higher giveaway/60.

All at 21/22, with significantly improving advanced statistics after hiring MSL.

I'd say he's the perfect candidate for a long term deal, because his positive qualities are more subtle and he shouldn't command the price more accurately portrayed by his impact.

Its worth pointing out that even if his advanced stats were significantly improved (I haven't checked that part), they still weren't good, either relative to the team or in general.

A long term contract for Romanov is still risky, because he's got the tools that excite hockey guys, but don't necessarily lead to winning. Which isn't to say he can't or won't improve, but the risk is obvious.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
It will be very interesting to see how Hughes handles this contract... and the other young guys... I'm glad Gorton will there and the capologist too... hope they can make it all work longterm.

Reactions: Canadienna and the

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I'd sign him 8yrs x 32M$

In my eyes, he's proven......get him long term, he's a keeper
That's a very good contract for both parties.

However get him a Russian teammate, I want him to feel comfortable here if we are going long-term. I always fear he might bounce because he doesn't feel "at home".

Last edited:

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I really like Romy but it wouldn't be smart at this moment to give him a really long term contract. We need to give him the chance to show what he can do offence wise (PP2 for example).

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
Realistically speaking, you guys are all overpaying for now. He might get there and we all want him around for a long time based on what he's showed so far this year and what we think his potential can be.

He hits like a truck and blocks shot, can skate and has a decent first pass. No real offense so far though, he could develop some more as he eases into his role in the league...
If he signs a bridge right now 2m to 2.5m per . If he signs for 8 years, he can't justify 4m/year .no way he gets more than Edmundson Chiarot or Savard so far. 3.5 per max

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
To put it into perspective - Romanov is 6 months older than Harris.... And a whole lot further down the development road. He's a guy that is feared throughout the league for his massive hits, and he's only gotten better with more responsibility. It's tough to believe that this will only be his third season in Montreal coming up, because it feels like he's a young veteran.

I'd bridge him at this point - 2.5 Million per for the next 3 years - before signing him long term on his next deal. He gets a significant raise but doesn't go past the vets, Montreal retains his RFA rights, and he can play himself into an impressive deal if he performs, or the Habs can sign him to a smaller deal if he doesn't improve. Win win situation for all involved.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
shouldn't get more than 2.5M/1-2 years on a prove me deal (then lock him up for 6 years if it's all good)

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Short term until they clear contracts and the cap starts to rise. They should have lots of guys on entry level contracts so they can start going long term on some guys in 2-3 years. As long as they don't hand out no trade contracts and the team is good they can trade older guys for prospects to manage the cap and pipeline.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You realise that this top-4 role was on the worst team in the league and he was regularly exposed in this role? We might as well played Corey Schueneman in this role, or Kulak and it wouldn't make any difference. It sure doesn't mean we should be paying any of them north of $1,5M on a 2-year deal.
We must avoid the Bergevin mistakes, where we ended up with a team that was in last place but over the cap.

For Habs to be a contender, prime Romanov would have to be a 3D or better yet 4D. His salary plan should get him there in a few years. There has to be room for 2-3 guys more expensive than him.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
$256 million is still a lot of money. I would shoot for a bit less.
Ya, should’ve omitted the “x” lol

We must avoid the Bergevin mistakes, where we ended up with a team that was in last place but over the cap.

For Habs to be a contender, prime Romanov would have to be a 3D or better yet 4D. His salary plan should get him there in a few years. There has to be room for 2-3 guys more expensive than him.
We also need to not duplicate an NHL record 731 man games lost like we did last year….think that has something to do with us stinking so bad.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
What's the upside?

He's not playing PP, so he's not going to rack up points.

Absolute best case for a shutdown D is a Lindell/Pelech type contract at 5.5-6. And most are in the 5 million range. With some like Pesce/Carlo at 4.

You really going to gamble 30 million guaranteed, that you may never see if you get injured/suck, for 1 million AAV (8 million total/4 after tax)?

I understand for Caufield, who could score 40 next year and raise his AAV by 3 million, but not Romanov. The market for that type of D is pretty set.
Lmfao! Until Colorado picks him up and his offensive stats increase by a magnitude while still playing solid defensively…

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Easy 4,5 per year for 8 years. Habs need to keep this guy for long long time. He is already a pretty good top 4 defenseman. He is going to be better in few years.

Reactions: Tetragrammaton

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Man you guys are very bullish on Romanov.

2 year bridge please. Don't want anything to do with 8 years right now. If he pops during that 2 years and becomes a high end player and we have to pay 5.5M instead of 4.75M on a long term deal that's a good problem to have, and the risk of throwing 8 years at him right now is enormous.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
To put it into perspective - Romanov is 6 months older than Harris.... And a whole lot further down the development road. He's a guy that is feared throughout the league for his massive hits, and he's only gotten better with more responsibility. It's tough to believe that this will only be his third season in Montreal coming up, because it feels like he's a young veteran.

I'd bridge him at this point - 2.5 Million per for the next 3 years - before signing him long term on his next deal. He gets a significant raise but doesn't go past the vets, Montreal retains his RFA rights, and he can play himself into an impressive deal if he performs, or the Habs can sign him to a smaller deal if he doesn't improve. Win win situation for all involved.

He's for sure getting better and better.

I look forward to seeing his peak, which may not be until his mid to late 20's.

Heck it took Petry until his mid 30's to hit his peak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad