Votes: 45 73.8%
  • Alex Pietrangelo

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Even

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Roman Josi won a Norris and was a 2nd place finalist. In both seasons he finished 6th and 7th in hart voting, which is pretty damn good for a defenseman.

Pietrangelo has never been a Norris finalist, though he came close twice.

Answer is Josi for peak.

Reactions: bh53

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Josi had the better peak. I think Pietrangelo has been the better defencemen for most of their careers though.

If I were starting a team I'd take Pietrangelo.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd take Petro. It's not a coincidence that he won a Cup as the #1D of two different franchises. Josi at his peak was more "flashy" but Pietrangelo is the guy you win with.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Josi for sure, everything else is just revisionist history and goes well in line with the recent trend with putting down offensive defensemen. Josi blew Pietrangelo out of the water in basically every poll here on the forums and on every list year after year. Pietrangelo even lost to Theodore when the poll asked who was the better D in 2022. And he wasn't that good during last season that the Cup win elevated his peak to a better than Josi's.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Roman Josi won a Norris and was a 2nd place finalist. In both seasons he finished 6th and 7th in hart voting, which is pretty damn good for a defenseman.

Pietrangelo has never been a Norris finalist, though he came close twice.

Answer is Josi for peak.
That's also because award voting (even for dmen) obsesses over counting stats.

EK was absolutely not the best defensman in the league last season. The Norris needs to stop being treated as the Art Ross for defence but it is and that explains Josi's superior voting record.

I have no problem with people voting Josi because I think it's close but not for these reasons. Pie won two cups as a #1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad