News Article: Rollie Melanson not returning

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
What Rollie does well:

-Despite what people seem to think, his style is actually not that deep. Benoit Allaire or Sean Burke have their guys playing on the goal line practically. His basic system is "toes in the blue" with t-pushes into position. It's a good system that allows you to be aggressive or more passive. "Toes in the blue" is just right because you can telescope further out or retreat back in depending on the circumstances.

-Focus on movement systems. Again, Carey Price to this day credits Melanson for all the movement drills that Price STILL DOES. Rollie helped make Price silky smooth.

-Game-like drills. He is famous for being able to recreate game situations with his drills.

-Tailored advice to the goalie. His adjustments for Theodore were not the same as for Marky and Marky's advice was not the same for Miller/Luongo. A simple example is glove positioning. Marky at the moment is being encouraged to rein in his glove in order to make him play with less holes and with less movement. Luongo had the traditional Quebec glove position which was pinned to his side so Rollie was encouraging him to get his glove forward and up.

A good goalie coach is hard to find. For example, what makes Alex Auld a potentially good goalie coach? I would argue nothing at the moment. He hasn't put in his dues at the lower levels. He's only been a goalie coach since 2014. To my knowledge he hasn't had any prominent students save for Miller this summer and I would argue that he may have done more harm than good there.

I agree that it is hard to find a good goalie coach.

But I will disagree about Auld. Granted I am biased.

He worked with Lack prior to the 2014-2015 season, as well as at the 2015 all-star break, just before Miller went down and Lack put the Canucks on his back. After they were knocked out by Calgary, he was on the Oval again with Lack, training him in head trajectory. I got to watch on the ice as Auld explained head trajectory (not with Lack, just a student). I watch him first hand twice a month when he is at our team’s practices and we talked about Miller - only in generalities, Alex never said anything that had not already been reported in the media. Anything I post is from what is already in the media or radio interviews. I don’t agree that he did more harm with Miller – up until last night’s 48 save performance by Markstrom, Miller had a better SV% and AdjSV%, and in any event Miller’s SV% and AdjSV% is better than his previous season.

I think Rollie was an ideal fit for Lack, and both Rollie and Cloutier are great for Marstrom. I think Ranford would work best with Miller - Ranford was in net for the 1990 Stanley Cup (which should command respect), works with another outside-in goalie in Quick. I think Cloutier might work well with Demko. But after those three, I would go with Auld (works with Pasco, familiar with Canucks org, availability, already approached by Miller). And since Rollie appears to be leaving and Ranford may not be available for another year, I could see it coming down to Cloutier or Auld.

Last edited:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
A good goalie coach is hard to find. For example, what makes Alex Auld a potentially good goalie coach? I would argue nothing at the moment. He hasn't put in his dues at the lower levels. He's only been a goalie coach since 2014. To my knowledge he hasn't had any prominent students save for Miller this summer and I would argue that he may have done more harm than good there.

Hasn't put in his dues you say? He's totally getting hired. Plus Linden knows him personally.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Celebrini put in his dues. Although I disagree with letting go Burnstein, I don't think you can argue with getting Celebrini into the organization.

But again, I am biased as our kids sometimes scrimmage together. It's funny the stories you hear from 9 year olds.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I agree that it is hard to find a good goalie coach.

But I will disagree about Auld. Granted I am biased.

He worked with Lack prior to the 2014-2015 season, as well as at the 2015 all-star break, just before Miller went down and Lack put the Canucks on his back. After they were knocked out by Calgary, he was on the Oval again with Lack, training him in head trajectory. I got to watch on the ice as Auld explained head trajectory (not with Lack, just a student). I watch him first hand twice a month when he is at our team’s practices and we talked about Miller - only in generalities, Alex never said anything that had not already been reported in the media. Anything I post is from what is already in the media or radio interviews. I don’t agree that he did more harm with Miller – up until last night’s 48 save performance by Markstrom, Miller had a better SV% and AdjSV%, and in any event Miller’s SV% and AdjSV% is better than his previous season.

I think Rollie was an ideal fit for Lack, and both Rollie and Cloutier are great for Marstrom. I think Ranford would work best with Miller - Ranford was in net for the 1990 Stanley Cup (which should command respect), works with another outside-in goalie in Quick. I think Cloutier might work well with Demko. But after those three, I would go with Auld (works with Pasco, familiar with Canucks org, availability, already approached by Miller). And since Rollie appears to be leaving and Ranford may not be available for another year, I could see it coming down to Cloutier or Auld.

Well that is good information so if Rollie were to leave and Auld com in it might still be a good fit. But I still don't like hiring outside the guys who have been in the trenches so much longer. But good to know he wouldn't just be hired on his playing resume.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
More from Freidman today:

As for his replacement, the fascinating thing is the list of people with connections to the organization and coaching staff. It’s pretty long as these things go. The two most sensible names are former Canucks Alex Auld and Dan Cloutier. Cloutier’s a team consultant, and has successfully worked with Jacob Markstrom. There are differing opinions on his willingness to take the full-time job, but, if he wishes to do so, he'll be a strong candidate.

Auld is a local guy with a perfect temperament for the city. But, if you expand the circle, there’s Eli Wilson, with a connection to Willie Desjardins from Medicine Hat. Melanson is a fan of his, too. Dallas’s director of goaltending development, Mike Valley, knows Desjardins and assistant coach Glen Gulutzan from their days with the Stars. But he’s in a good situation and might not want to leave. Bill Ranford’s been mentioned, but not sure Los Angeles would be so willing after losing Kim Dillabaugh to Philadelphia. Dark horse: Toronto took a long look at Scott Murray before last summer’s hire of Steve Briere. Murray joined Washington, but may be Mitch Korn’s replacement if Korn ever decides to retire. Longer shot: Michael Lawrence, who spent the last couple seasons coaching in Switzerland. Just some names to keep an eye on.

I had forgotten about the talk about Wilson.

I've seen a lot of Elite (but not Mike Valley), Veit, and Pro Formance, but have not had a chance to see any Eli Wilson camps. Would also like to see a Korn camp.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Interesting ... guess Rollie will be focusing strictly on the prospects? Maybe allows him to stay back east with Utica since I remember reading it was a location issue for him. Glad he's still working with the young guys ... did a good job with Markstrom.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
As great of an outcome as could have been expected. I am a little lukewarm on Cloutier as goalie coach though. Then again I am sure he is an expert in what makes a bad goalie in the NHL.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Melanson working exclusively with Demko is the best possible thing that could happen to Demko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad