Role expanded for Hagg as season progressed with Lehigh Valley

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
robert_hagg_lehigh_valley_031315.jpg
Photo: Lehigh Valley Phantoms defenseman and Philadelphia Flyers prospect Robert Hagg (L) posted two assists in seven games for Sweden at the 2015 U20 World Junior Championship (courtesy of Corey Silvia/Icon Sportswire)

</p> With his first regular season of AHL hockey now completed, Robert Hagg will have 79 AHL games under his belt (including 10 games from 2013-14). While he’s showed flashes of brilliant play in the offensive zone, Hagg seemed to spend the second half of the season really focusing on expanding his identity to a two-way defender who can shut down opposing team’s scorers as well.

“You can’t ever forget he is 20 years old,†Lehigh Valley Phantoms head coach Terry Murray said of Hagg.… read more

The post Role expanded for Hagg as season progressed with Lehigh Valley appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I liked what I saw from Hagg this season and am excited to see what growth will come next season. I think next year should be the year we should be giving him some NHL games. He's a big guy and very fluid with his skating and puck handling. He's good at winning puck battles along the boards and in tight situations. He's good at the short pass and the long stretch passes. There's no real flaws in his game except that he tends to lack a sense of urgency. I think that will come with age and from experience. Maybe a good coach could coax that out of him. Either way, he seems destined for the NHL, his potential is entirely up to him in my opinion

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Hagg gets lost in the hype of the other D prospects but he is going to be a very good NHL player.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I like what Murray did in giving him a shut down role. I think Hagg will be a better pro then amateur player. Some guys get better as the game gets more structured.

I really like his game.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
He improved as thr season went on. My buddies live up there and watched and went to games. They said he didnt look good in the beginning but turned it on as the season progressed.

Thats good to hear

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hagg may repeat AHL next year, but a trade by the all star break of a veteran D man or two won't surprise me, depending how Hagg, Ghost and Morin develop. I think Hextall wants young players to force him to make a move, rather than give them a job and hope they can handle it.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don't really envision a scenario where he's in the NHL for an extensive period next season, which will come as a disappointment for some, but right about where I thought he would be- making his NHL debut 3 years post-draft.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't really envision a scenario where he's in the NHL for an extensive period next season, which will come as a disappointment for some, but right about where I thought he would be- making his NHL debut 3 years post-draft.

Me either, Murray said he thinks Hagg is still a year out. Unless they get hit hard with injuries next year at a certain point I don't think we see much of him in the NHL. I still think he's a secondary call up option with Gostisbehere, Morin, & possibly Alt (older player who could be approaching waiver exemption next year) ahead of him.

If a guy like Sanheim or someone we draft cracks the lineup out of camp than I think you can call off all bets of him seeing in a game let alone multiple.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Next year will be interesting, I think Alt's injuries hurt both Alt and Hagg, if he can stay healthy and they get to play as a pair, they might come up together. Alt/Hagg and Morin/Ghost, that could be quite a defense to start the season in the AHL!

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
It's good to hear, I definitely noticed his progress as the year went on as well. I still think he's a little ways away. Honestly I really don't think we'll be seeing any d prospects outside of Ghost at the NHL level for any extended period of time unless something goes terribly wrong on the injury side of things. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, in fact it was expected by most.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Me either, Murray said he thinks Hagg is still a year out. Unless they get hit hard with injuries next year at a certain point I don't think we see much of him in the NHL. I still think he's a secondary call up option with Gostisbehere, Morin, & possibly Alt (older player who could be approaching waiver exemption next year) ahead of him.

If a guy like Sanheim or someone we draft cracks the lineup out of camp than I think you can call off all bets of him seeing in a game let alone multiple.

Pretty much a 0 percent chance of that happening.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Pretty much a 0 percent chance of that happening.

You own a crystal ball? It all comes down to whether Sanheim can put the necessary weight or not this summer. If he does his chances go up as his game is ready enough.

If the Flyers draft Provorov or Hanifin both very well could crack our roster next year with a good camp.

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I said before if Sanheim adds 10-15 pounds this off season and comes into camp proving he wants to stay, he might get the games before they make the decision. If he shows he still is just not ready no harm in sending him back for another season in juniors.

We all forget Morin was close to making the team last year as well. He hasn't stalled in his development because of his injuries, he still has a legit chance of making the team out of camp IMO. Maybe AHL is in the works for him but I wouldn't be surprised to see him on our opening night roster.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Adding 10-15 lbs is gonna take time for sanheim to pull off.
I'm a workout warrior, like I lift 8 hrs a week, and can't put on an ounce. Then I spend 2 hrs a week rollerblading, walk and run all over town.

SchennSational1022*

Adding 10-15 lbs is gonna take time for sanheim to pull off.
I'm a workout warrior, like I lift 8 hrs a week, and can't put on an ounce. Then I spend 2 hrs a week rollerblading, walk and run all over town.

You're also not a 19 year old kid, I assume. Much easier to gain weight as a young kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad