Confirmed with Link: Roland McKeown Signs One Year Two-Way Deal

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
The contract will pay McKeown $700,000 at the NHL level and $70,000 at the AHL level with a $90,000 guarantee.

Not sure what the advantage of doing 700/70 with 90 guarantee vs just doing 700/90...

Can't wait to see how the 5-7D slots pan out through camp.​

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The contract will pay McKeown $700,000 at the NHL level and $70,000 at the AHL level with a $90,000 guarantee.

Not sure what the advantage of doing 700/70 with 90 guarantee vs just doing 700/90...

Can't wait to see how the 5-7D slots pan out through camp.​
If his AHL salary was $90k, it would have to be at least that in his next Qualified Offer. Now they can QO him with $70k AHL salary next year.

There may be other reasons. $70k is the max ELC AHL salary, maybe they don't want to stray away from it for tweeners and rather pay them with guarantees.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I'm still puzzled why Haydn Fleury gets a one-way deal and inside track on an NHL job, while this guy is basically on the outside looking in, when they are the same age, same draft class, and have accomplished basically the same amount as pros. I guess the lesson here is to get drafted in the first round, even if you don't deserve it.

Reactions: cptjeff

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I'm still puzzled why Haydn Fleury gets a one-way deal and inside track on an NHL job, while this guy is basically on the outside looking in, when they are the same age, same draft class, and have accomplished basically the same amount as pros. I guess the lesson here is to get drafted in the first round, even if you don't deserve it.

At least as far as the 23-man roster is concerned, I see them potentially keeping 2 extra defensemen with TVR still uncertain. Would not be surprised if Forsling and McKeown are on the active roster (along with Clark Bishop since Maenalanen is still waivers-exempt) when the season starts.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

I get what you are saying, but Fleury has played 87 NHL games, 67 two seasons ago mainly in the top 4 as Faulks partner. McKeown has a grand total of 10 NHL games in a very sheltered role.

That’s probably the biggest reason.

I’ve always liked McKeown. Viewed him as a poor mans Paul Martin- jack of all trades. Hope he gets a shot.

Reactions: Chrispy

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I get what you are saying, but Fleury has played 87 NHL games, 67 two seasons ago mainly in the top 4 as Faulks partner. McKeown has a grand total of 10 NHL games in a very sheltered role.

It's hard to believe we were really that bad two seasons ago. We also got 75 games from Joakim Nordstrom, 71 from Victor Rask, 49 from Phil DiGiuseppe, 48 from Marcus Kruger, 37 from Lee Stempniak, 33 from Klas Dahlbeck and 31 from Josh Jooris.

Fleury's 0-8--8, minus-2 production didn't even stand out as particularly horrible in that context.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Fleury has played in the NHL on regular-ish basis in 17/18 and served full 5 years in Entry-level system like a trooper.

He was eligible for two-way QO with ~$875k NHL salary, but apparently let it expire on the regular date of July 15 and signed the very next day for lesser salary of $850k one-way.

Maybe the de Haan trade with Priskie trade falling through and them liking him probably got him earmarked for the third pair. We don't know what took so long in signing McKeown, was is dependent on Williams or what.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
It's hard to believe we were really that bad two seasons ago. We also got 75 games from Joakim Nordstrom, 71 from Victor Rask, 49 from Phil DiGiuseppe, 48 from Marcus Kruger, 37 from Lee Stempniak, 33 from Klas Dahlbeck and 31 from Josh Jooris.

Fleury's 0-8--8, minus-2 production didn't even stand out as particularly horrible in that context.

The amazing part about this is that those 7 players became, on net, Nino, Martinook, and McKegg. Tank you very much, Paul Fenton!

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Good depth signing. His career would probably be better served on a team that needs Defencemen though.

I think the "you can't ever have too many defensemen" principle applies here. Canes were fortunate with injuries last year, but it's nice to have an elite farm and the defending Calder Cup champs to back up the team just in case, no matter how good our primary roster is.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Fleury has played in the NHL on regular-ish basis in 17/18 and served full 5 years in Entry-level system like a trooper.

He was eligible for two-way QO with ~$875k NHL salary, but apparently let it expire on the regular date of July 15 and signed the very next day for lesser salary of $850k one-way.

Maybe the de Haan trade with Priskie trade falling through and them liking him probably got him earmarked for the third pair. We don't know what took so long in signing McKeown, was is dependent on Williams or what.

Yeah, I wasn’t trying to comment on Fleury’s play, just explaining why he probably got a one way deal vs. McKeown

I get the physical machinations that led us to this point. What I don't get is why McKeown didn't get some of those 97 unimpressive games that Fleury got to see if he had something to offer. But when you consider that Fleury was Ronnie's first-ever draft pick, I guess it makes sense. I'm just saying that I'm not so sure it's been fair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad