Rogers Gamecenter Live

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
Just a few questions for anyone using Gamecenter recently. I used to have a subscription about 5 years ago, but found it to be buggy and the play was not very smooth to watch once the game action started (seemed to be a bit stuttery). I thought that I would give it another go hoping that the quality has improved, so I signed up this morning. The only game on there at the moment is the final game of the SCF. I'm watching it through the PS3 and the picture is great until the game action starts, then it just seems stuttery, like there is just not enough frames/sec.

Does anyone one know if there is any way to get a better frame rate or is this as good as it gets?

Also, is there any way to turn off the bar at the bottom of the screen that shows goals and shots on a game that I'm not watching live? I don't want to know when and how many goals are scored before it happens. I want to enjoy the game as though I'm watching it live.

Is there any way to pause the game? There is no option on the controller for that. A 30 second skip would also be nice, but it doesn't have that either.

I tried to call their tech support, but they don't seem to be too knowledgeable regarding the game.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
Hey Jeff, I was thinking of subscribing to GCL too, but aren't the Oilers games blacked out if broadcast on TV (not including national broadcasts)

Thanks

I live in BC, so the only games that will be blacked out for me will be when they are playing the Canucks. (unless I have Sportsnet in my cable TV package, in which case they will lift the blackout).

Edit: If it's a national broadcast, it won't be blacked out either. Here's a link to the Blackout rules. https://gamecentrelive.rogers.com/en/support-game-availability/

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Hey Jeff, I was thinking of subscribing to GCL too, but aren't the Oilers games blacked out if broadcast on TV (not including national broadcasts)

Thanks

I live in Saskatchewan, and last year I watched half on tv, half on GCL.

I don't remember any of them being blacked out.

Dakine879

Apr 24, 2015
Edmonton
I should have qualified my post by saying I live near Edmonton so I would be considered an "in market" viewer as per Rogers rules so I think oilers games would be blacked out

I don't have cable TV . And don't have a plan to get it ever again thanks to Internet programming but I might be screwed on watching the Oil thanks to some big corporation from Ontario

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
You can turn scores off in the option menu. There definitely is a pause and fast forward option. I'd guess it's start for pause, and r1 for fast forward, but it's been like a year and a half since I've used Game Center

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Has anyone here used Hockeystreams before? I'd like to be able to watch games on my computer when i'm at work so Gamecenter is no good for me.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
I do know it's much much smoother if you use it on your home computer or laptop.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I guess no one has tried HockeyStreams.com. The streams are great, only 109.99 per year and you get all nhl, ahl, ohl, qmjhl, whl, and international games. It doesn't have the interactive features like gcl but it is definitely better than and cheaper than gcl. Only issue is you have to register on a waiting list because they are trying to make it less laggy and are growing the server slowly.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
You know, two years ago I ordered Centre Ice for god knows how much it was just to watch Oilers games, and every single game felt like a visit to the dentist. Maybe I'll pick up Game Center at the half way point if the Oilers don't look totally pathetic.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Just a few questions for anyone using Gamecenter recently. I used to have a subscription about 5 years ago, but found it to be buggy and the play was not very smooth to watch once the game action started (seemed to be a bit stuttery). I thought that I would give it another go hoping that the quality has improved, so I signed up this morning. The only game on there at the moment is the final game of the SCF. I'm watching it through the PS3 and the picture is great until the game action starts, then it just seems stuttery, like there is just not enough frames/sec.

Does anyone one know if there is any way to get a better frame rate or is this as good as it gets?

Also, is there any way to turn off the bar at the bottom of the screen that shows goals and shots on a game that I'm not watching live? I don't want to know when and how many goals are scored before it happens. I want to enjoy the game as though I'm watching it live.
Is there any way to pause the game? There is no option on the controller for that. A 30 second skip would also be nice, but it doesn't have that either.

I tried to call their tech support, but they don't seem to be too knowledgeable regarding the game.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

I had GCL for part of the season last year. Used the app on Roku so my experience will be slightly different than yours. The in-game stream quality was fantastic, no issues there.

You can hide scores in the menu, but my biggest gripe with this is that it still shows your progress in the bar (when watching a game that had already completed). I complained to the NHL (in the US using VPN otherwise they'd forward me to Rogers in Canada) and told them how poorly designed the app is. I don't want to know the score, yet you show me that there is 1 minute of video time left and the clock in the game says there is 1 minute left of a 2-1 game. Gee...I wonder if they'll tie it up and head to OT? Some of these app developers are just plain moronic! Before you jump on me for saying that, I'm an app developer as well.

The other big issue is that if you don't start the game before it ends, they cut off the feed for about 3-4 hours after in order to cut out the commercials and intermissions. They do this on every feed except on a computer. Again, ridiculous! Just leave the full unedited game until the edited version is ready, then switch the file at the source. It's that simple! I complained about this as well.

I may sign up for Rogers internet next week so I'll see soon if both complaints fell on deaf ears or not. I have zero faith in the NHL so more than likely I'll be complaining about these again soon. I suggest you do the same.

Edit: On Roku you can pause, FF and RWD. FF and RWD move 10s each. I haven't found a way to edit that, which would be another nice to have feature.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
I guess no one has tried HockeyStreams.com. The streams are great, only 109.99 per year and you get all nhl, ahl, ohl, qmjhl, whl, and international games. It doesn't have the interactive features like gcl but it is definitely better than and cheaper than gcl. Only issue is you have to register on a waiting list because they are trying to make it less laggy and are growing the server slowly.

Yep and until Sept 13th it's $99.99. Also, you can freeze your account in the offseason so you can get up to 2 seasons for that depending on when you decide to freeze it.

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008

Just signed up for this last week and I'm pumped. There's already a bunch of archived games on there from last season and before. When I was looking into this pretty much every where I looked it said that Hockey Streams was way better. No blackouts and playoffs in NA. I'm cutting cable so getting the playoffs was a must for me. Plus tons of other content like World Juniors, Olympics etc. Apparently sometimes they show MMA fights on there as well.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I've been happy with hockeystreams for sure.

Nice to be able to choose your broadcast to home/away too if you don't want to listen to the Sportsnet motley crew.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I have been considering Hockeystreams, but they are basically an illegal service that could get cut off at any time no?

OilNation

Aug 26, 2014
I have been considering Hockeystreams, but they are basically an illegal service that could get cut off at any time no?

I have been using hockey streams for 3 years now. It's seems to be getting better and better every year. That is the one downside of it (the legal side) but they haven't had a issue yet. I liked it better then game center forsure.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah they're pretty much illegal.

So why pay if you're going that route?

reddit.com/r/nhlstreams is free at least

/r/mlbstreams was in HD this year, using YouTube's streaming service so i don't see why hockey won't be this year

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

/r/mlbstreams was in HD this year, using YouTube's streaming service so i don't see why hockey won't be this year

Yeah sort of my thoughts as well.

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008

Well apparently in the Netherlands what they're doing is legal so there is no chance of them being taken down. The issue is if the NHL were to go after users in NA. I'll take my chances.

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
I had GCL for part of the season last year. Used the app on Roku so my experience will be slightly different than yours. The in-game stream quality was fantastic, no issues there.

Edit: On Roku you can pause, FF and RWD. FF and RWD move 10s each. I haven't found a way to edit that, which would be another nice to have feature.

Just to chime in, had it on the Roku as well and it was fantastic for me. Really enjoyed it. No lag, full HD broadcast.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
As for the question on Blackouts. Last year, there weren't blackouts of Oiler games and I live in Edmonton. Last year was the first time that this was the case, so I'm not sure if that is the plan again for this year.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008

You can hide scores in the menu, but my biggest gripe with this is that it still shows your progress in the bar (when watching a game that had already completed). I complained to the NHL (in the US using VPN otherwise they'd forward me to Rogers in Canada) and told them how poorly designed the app is. I don't want to know the score, yet you show me that there is 1 minute of video time left and the clock in the game says there is 1 minute left of a 2-1 game. Gee...I wonder if they'll tie it up and head to OT? Some of these app developers are just plain moronic! Before you jump on me for saying that, I'm an app developer as well.

The other big issue is that if you don't start the game before it ends, they cut off the feed for about 3-4 hours after in order to cut out the commercials and intermissions. They do this on every feed except on a computer. Again, ridiculous! Just leave the full unedited game until the edited version is ready, then switch the file at the source. It's that simple! I complained about this as well.

I may sign up for Rogers internet next week so I'll see soon if both complaints fell on deaf ears or not. I have zero faith in the NHL so more than likely I'll be complaining about these again soon. I suggest you do the same.

I was really hoping that they would have made some improvements since I had it 5 years ago, but it sounds like they have not. I typically watch the game after I get home from work. Sometimes the game is still in progress and sometimes it has ended already. It really sucks if I can't watch it for 4 hours after the game ends. There were also a few times that I would be watching the recorded game and it would suddenly jump ahead to the live play and ruin the game for me:rant:

I totally agree with you that there isn't much thought put behind this app. I really wish they would give you the option to turn off that progress bar. It looks like the best you can do is turn off the goal marks on it (I have no idea why anyone who is watching the recorded game would even want to know how many goals will be scored and when). Maybe I'll try watching it on a different device then the PS3 to see if the video is smoother.

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB

Thanks

That is changed since the new Rogers GCL. Even if you are in the tv region, if Rogers has the rights to the game (which they do for just about everyone except for Winnipeg), it is shown on GCL without blackouts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad