Roenick and the HHOF

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
So according to that logic, only Gretzky, Lemieux and Jagr can say that they were the best forward in the game during the last 30 years.

Sakic was the first team center 3 times in his career. He's the 2nd best forward of the 1995-2004 era, I dont need to hear the he was never the best garbage.

yes actually. I think it is safe to say that from 1981-2001 they were the only skaters who ever held legitimate claim to being the best in the game, and there really shouldn't be any disagreement over that. Sakic was one of the best players in his day, maybe even the best center, but he was never outside of that one season Jagr's equal, nevermind better and that eliminates him from being the best in the game.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I've mentioned this before, but Roenick fails one of my basic tests for the Hall of Fame: he's a primarily/all-NHL player who you cannot make a convincing argument for on his playing merits alone, so his nationality has to get brought up to try and shore up his case. The only time a player's nationality should come into play is if he was a non-NHL player whose biggest case was made through international tournaments, which really only applies to pre-1990 players now.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Hasek was traded from the 2nd place Sabres after a heartbreaking elimination in the 7th game of the conference semi-finals at the hands of Mario Lemieux and the Penguins.Buffalo was not a poor team but it fits the pro Hasek mantra to call them poor.

Hasek wasn't traded. His rights were traded because he was a pending UFA who wasn't going to stick around. That isn't the same thing at all.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
yes actually. I think it is safe to say that from 1981-2001 they were the only skaters who ever held legitimate claim to being the best in the game, and there really shouldn't be any disagreement over that. Sakic was one of the best players in his day, maybe even the best center, but he was never outside of that one season Jagr's equal, nevermind better and that eliminates him from being the best in the game.

I get what you mean even if I disagree with it.

ummm, Pavel Bure's peak is your standard? That can only be used if it was his peak keeping him out. Its his longevity, or lack-there-of that is keeping him out. Roenick's peak is more than good enough. Joe Sakic didn't have as good a peak as Pavel Bure, would you keep him out of the hall? How about Shanahan, he also had an inferior peak. Some of the dumbest reasoning I've ever heard.

But I still dont get Bure's peak being above Sakic's.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad