• Fruit Stripe

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
On the topic of gum and jobs, when I was much younger and behaving badly at one of my previous jobs, as a projectionist at a cinema, you know, back when they used actual film at cinemas instead of this fancy digital stuff, I would bring in bottles of Fireball whiskey to work and keep a pack of Big Red on my desk to explain the cinnamon smell.

Wait, who was it who indirectly called me a Whiskeypalian in the other thread?

Highest Boss

Jan 15, 2014
Illinois
1653070681919.png

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
On the topic of gum and jobs, when I was much younger and behaving badly at one of my previous jobs, as a projectionist at a cinema, you know, back when they used actual film at cinemas instead of this fancy digital stuff, I would bring in bottles of Fireball whiskey to work and keep a pack of Big Red on my desk to explain the cinnamon smell.

Wait, who was it who indirectly called me a Whiskeypalian in the other thread?
That was I. And in a small world, I worked as a projectionist myself in my younger days. Not so much whiskey as, um, other things.

Pre-game trip to Baskin Robbins to get his gum from here every game.

DVRv3vZVwAExcxy.jpg
Would melt before you got in the car today.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
That was I. And in a small world, I worked as a projectionist myself in my younger days. Not so much whiskey as, um, other things.

Would melt before you got in the car today.

I somehow lasted five years at that job. Not because I got caught, mind you, because I did. When I did get caught, the manager who caught me promised to not report it as long as I shared. I just made sure to have a full bottle every time I was working with that particular manager. On a side note, Fireball tastes halfway decent mixed with diet Coke, which I could get for free from the concession stand downstairs.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I somehow lasted five years at that job. Not because I got caught, mind you, because I did. When I did get caught, the manager who caught me promised to not report it as long as I shared. I just made sure to have a full bottle every time I was working with that particular manager. On a side note, Fireball tastes halfway decent mixed with diet Coke, which I could get for free from the concession stand downstairs.
Reminds me of one of my music professors that caught on to it not just being diet coke in the diet coke bottle for my 8AM composition classes on Fridays. Of course, it also being 8AM on a f***ing Friday they got it and their only requirement for allowing me to keep doing it and getting an A in the course was bringing a bottle for him as well each Friday.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Reminds me of one of my music professors that caught on to it not just being diet coke in the diet coke bottle for my 8AM composition classes on Fridays. Of course, it also being 8AM on a f***ing Friday they got it and their only requirement for allowing me to keep doing it and getting an A in the course was bringing a bottle for him as well each Friday.

Pretty much why I got away with it too. I lived half a mile away from the cinema and didn't drive. I was also the Thursday night projectionist, which meant I stayed late after closing to do all the maintenance and weekly building and breakdown of film, since new movies would tend to open on Fridays. If you didn't know, in the film era, movies ship on smaller reels that are approximately 20 minutes of footage each. The Thursday night projectionist's job is to basically string them all together and attach trailers to the beginning so they can play continuously ("build up"), and do the reverse ("break down") to the old ones, so they could be shipped back to the studio. Depending on how many new movies (sometimes multiple prints of the same movie if it was a big release) we were getting and/or how many old movies we were dropping, I could be there very late on a Thursday night, sometimes into early Friday morning, and one time when we got three copies of a particularly long movie (Peter Jackson's 2005 version of King Kong) as well as some others, and the Friday morning projectionist called in sick, I ended up working 24 hours straight.

Of course, in 2005, I was still 19 years old, so I hadn't started the whole bringing Fireball to work thing yet. It was also a different cinema than the one where I did that.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad