Signing(s): Rockies hire Bud Black to be their new manager

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
surprised he left his front office gig with the angels to take that job

but a good hire for sure. he got some horrendous padres teams to overachieve during his time in SD

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I like this hire by the Rockies, though they are in a tough division with LAD and the Giants.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Actually Rockies seems to be on the right track this time. They finally have some legit pitching with Gray, Anderson, Bettis and Chatwood. Black is a hell of manager. Arenado and Story is great punch in the middle. McMahon and Rodgers will join the party soon.

They for sure needs some bullpen improvement. Rockies have some good comlementary pieces that could return pretty good packages - LaMahieu, Blackmon and even CarGo and McGee. They will be fine.

Sep 19, 2008
Well he finally got another chance. Remains to be seen if Nationals blew their chance with him. Can't really complain though.

HE didn't do much in San Diego and he didn't have a talented team there. He has an okay team in Colorado but not a contending team by any means.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
surprised he left his front office gig with the angels to take that job

but a good hire for sure. he got some horrendous padres teams to overachieve during his time in SD

How much influence did he really have in Anaheim?

I don't think anyone would pass up a managing gig to be an assistant to GM

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I'm sure he's excited to work with their pitching core and their young hitting talent. Not a bad situation.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
How many of them made the playoffs?

go look at the 2010 and 2014 padres and tell me just how those teams managed to win as many games as they did. hint: it wasn't the talent on the field

playoffs don't matter when you're talking about a crappy team simply overachieving

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Well he finally got another chance. Remains to be seen if Nationals blew their chance with him. Can't really complain though.

HE didn't do much in San Diego and he didn't have a talented team there. He has an okay team in Colorado but not a contending team by any means.

How many of them made the playoffs?

post-53126-Bill-Murray-looks-at-camera-gi-68fK.gif

Congrats JWK!

Sep 19, 2008
Really dude?

Typically in debates you bring a point to foster discussion instead of "Really", or a sole facepalm gif. Because then you aren't really explaining how you disagree but rather get lazy and don't bring up any counters.

At least Murray and Terry have some counter point. But tell me how I'm wrong. I'm telling you he didn't do **** in San Diego. And that's true. He didn't. We'll see what happens here but I've never seen how he is such an appealing candidate. Some guys do better their second time around though. Belichick was a failure in Cleveland and learned from that. Now he's the best.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Typically in debates you bring a point to foster discussion instead of "Really", or a sole facepalm gif. Because then you aren't really explaining how you disagree but rather get lazy and don't bring up any counters.

At least Murray and Terry have some counter point. But tell me how I'm wrong. I'm telling you he didn't do **** in San Diego. And that's true. He didn't. We'll see what happens here but I've never seen how he is such an appealing candidate. Some guys do better their second time around though. Belichick was a failure in Cleveland and learned from that. Now he's the best.

Bud black made the playoffs with the padres the same amount of times the nationals have won a playoff series.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Blaming Black for the Padres not making it to the playoffs with rosters that would struggle to string together 65 wins in a vaccuum is asinine. He turned awful teams into mediocre to solid teams...as Murray said, no manager, no matter how good, is worth that many wins in the standings.

Black got respectable results from a directionless organization lacking talent.

Plus in the current system Black's teams would have made it as the second wildcard twice (2010's 90 win team finished 2 games back of the eventual champions in the division race and 1 game back of the Braves in the wildcard race and 2007's 89 win team finished 1 win shy of tying the division leaders and lost a play-in game for the wildcard).

Last edited:

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Congrats JWK!

Thanks buddy! Although he was my 3rd or 4th choice, I can't complain as long as he doesn't use Scott Oberg in key situations and have position players bunt at Coors. The bar is set low

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Blaming Black for the Padres not making it to the playoffs with rosters that would struggle to string together 65 wins in a vaccuum is asinine. He turned awful teams into mediocre to solid teams...as Murray said, no manager, no matter how good, is worth that many wins in the standings.

Black got respectable results from a directionless organization lacking talent.

Plus in the current system Black's teams would have made it as the second wildcard twice (2010's 90 win team finished 2 games back of the eventual champions in the division race and 1 game back of the Braves in the wildcard race and 2007's 89 win team finished 1 win shy of tying the division leaders and lost a play-in game for the wildcard).

Lest we forget two managers in the 47 year history of the Padres have brought them to the playoffs. His odds weren't favorable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad