Rockets owner hasn’t given up on dream of Houston NHL team (mod: Houston thread)

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Dallas owns the market in Austin, and that will never change, it's one of the reasons you'll never see another league there, NFS
I don’t think so. MLS has a team in Dallas area but still gave a team to Austin anyway. Not to mention NBA has a team in San Antonio which is very close to Austin.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I don’t think so. MLS has a team in Dallas area but still gave a team to Austin anyway. Not to mention NBA has a team in San Antonio which is very close to Austin.
Houston's been in trouble for years anyway, the Dynamo have been ignored much the same way the Revolution have in New England

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

MLS doesn't have the same rules as the NHL does in terms of territory rights and FC Dallas doesn't play in downtown dallas.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Think Ottawa is a possibility if the issues between Melnyk and the city on the new arena become untenable? That’s the only other team that might be option in the future with the Coyotes new owner committed to Arizona.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
So what..... or should I say.... who is the “right team?”

Calgary has a new arena in the works, so do the Islanders.....and Florida’s is locked in.

Carolina isn’t going anywhere for a while and Arizona I’m sorry to say isn’t either. Even with a planned move to the Central.

Fertitta can look anywhere he wants. He’s not getting a franchise on the cheap.

The Quebec Nordiques obviously :sarcasm:

Houston and the NHL are a match that just can't get together on time (last round of expansion) or gets called off at the last minute (Oilers in 1998). The NHL will always keep the door open for them though.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Think Ottawa is a possibility if the issues between Melnyk and the city on the new arena become untenable? That’s the only other team that might be option in the future with the Coyotes new owner committed to Arizona.

The only option for quebec is a eastern conference relocation there is no room for Quebec as long as there is 16 eastern conference teams which was one reason why NHL decided against granting them #32 spot. No one wanted a 17th eastern team. No one was gonna force Detroit or Columbus back to the western conference and no one wanted Quebec in the central division. NHL didn't want to go 15/17.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
The only option for quebec is a eastern conference relocation there is no room for Quebec as long as there is 16 eastern conference teams which was one reason why NHL decided against granting them #32 spot. No one wanted a 17th eastern team. No one was gonna force Detroit or Columbus back to the western conference and no one wanted Quebec in the central division. NHL didn't want to go 15/17.

My question was in relation to a Houston relocated team, not Quebec. I personally don’t believe either Houston or Quebec are getting teams in the near future unless Ottawa become in play. Whether that ever happens is what I was curious about.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
My question was in relation to a Houston relocated team, not Quebec. I personally don’t believe either Houston or Quebec are getting teams in the near future unless Ottawa become in play. Whether that ever happens is what I was curious about.

If ottawa becomes in play i doubt the NHL would allow a eastern to western conference relocation due to the same issue that Quebec dealt with. It'll cause an unbalance league and who current in the central division be forced over to the eastern conference? I doubt any of the owners wants to do that. If Ottawa has to move i kinda expect they'll probably end up in Quebec than Houston.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
If ottawa becomes in play i doubt the NHL would allow a eastern to western conference relocation due to the same issue that Quebec dealt with. It'll cause an unbalance league and who current in the central division be forced over to the eastern conference? I doubt any of the owners wants to do that. If Ottawa has to move i kinda expect they'll probably end up in Quebec than Houston.
Nah, western team moving east is no where near as bigger deal. Just move Chicago or Nashville east. Neither one of them will complain.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Since Melnyk is not interested in selling the Senators, I don't see how they can be in play. Even with the circus show and declining attendance the past many seasons, the fact they own the their arena, they would still be better off staying there than paying rent in a building Fertitta controls.

If he wanted to sell. At least one offer was made, rejected and reportedly around 400 million. With Fertitta looking for a deal, would he pay that much plus a relocation fee to the point where more local interests won't match? I highly doubt it.

Plus if the 'right team' means a competitive one, the Senators in most years will be the furthest thing from that as long as Melnyk owns them.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Nah, western team moving east is no where near as bigger deal. Just move Chicago or Nashville east. Neither one of them will complain.

I don't think the NHL wants non eastern time zone teams in the eastern conference and it took a long time before Nashville became a successful franchise and being forced to the eastern conference can potentially undo that. It would be easier to move Ottawa to the Quebec since that requires zero realignment changes and makes little impact on travel distance. I doubt chic ago wants to move over to the eastern conference.

I always view the league will do something that offers the least resistance hence why Arizona is moving to central once Seattle joins instead of flipping 3 teams.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I don't think the NHL wants non eastern time zone teams in the eastern conference and it took a long time before Nashville became a successful franchise and being forced to the eastern conference can potentially undo that. It would be easier to move Ottawa to the Quebec since that requires zero realignment changes and makes little impact on travel distance. I doubt chic ago wants to move over to the eastern conference.

I always view the league will do something that offers the least resistance hence why Arizona is moving to central once Seattle joins instead of flipping 3 teams.
I mean...why? Western Conference stretches over 3. One hour time difference means nothing.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The Blackhawks would jump at the chance to have more home games vs the original 6 and to Renew their rivalry with the redwings.
doubtful, and is there a source to that, Centrum, there's already too many teams after both Toronto and Detroit switched and are in the same division, Chicago's not in the ETZ

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Just a reminder there was a reason why Detroit and Columbus wanted to move to the Eastern Conference and won't go back.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Bro, no one cares. One hour time difference is not a big deal, at all. Chicago is literally only two hours away by car from ETZ.

The NHL and the teams that who makes the decisions on alignment care. They cared about the alignment issue (at the time pre seattle) enough to not give quebec a team and cared enough about keeping the alberta teams in pacific and Colorado Central thus moving the coyotes to central division once Seattle begins playing in 2021.

The fans may not care but the decision makers do. And if they don't want a central time zone team in eastern conference then they aren't going to.

Plus regarding Ottawa NHL would want a owner that'll keep them in Ottawa before allowing them to leave to go somewhere else. Chances are there will probably someone that would too.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
The NHL and the teams that who makes the decisions on alignment care. They cared about the alignment issue (at the time pre seattle) enough to not give quebec a team and cared enough about keeping the alberta teams in pacific and Colorado Central thus moving the coyotes to central division once Seattle begins playing in 2021.

The fans may not care but the decision makers do. And if they don't want a central time zone team in eastern conference then they aren't going to.

Plus regarding Ottawa NHL would want a owner that'll keep them in Ottawa before allowing them to leave to go somewhere else. Chances are there will probably someone that would too.
Decision makers care so much about time zone that they let Western Conference stretch in to three time zones but they can't have Eastern Conference stretch in to two? Does that make sense to you?

One hour difference. Think about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad