Rockets owner hasn’t given up on dream of Houston NHL team (mod: Houston thread)

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Nitpick #1: it wasn't a "he" that owned Atlanta. It was a "they" and "they" after getting the Thrashers and Hawks in 2003 quickly became a splintered group that spent years split into two factions suing each other. One side wanted the Thrashers; the other side didn't. Free guess which side ended up with the team.

Actually, that's not entirely true. No part of ASG really wanted the Thrashers. Belkin merely was willing to take them as the means to also get the arena/Hawks. The non-Belkins wanted absolutely nothing to do with hockey and only wanted the arena/Hawks. So, the choice was between reluctant acceptance vs. active disdain.

No matter how it all turned out, the Thrashers had a 0% chance of an engaged and committed ownership. That possibility died years earlier when David McDavid's nearly finalized purchase of both teams and the arena died at the last minute due to Time Warner's corrupt, insider-dealing sweetheart side deal with ASG.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Vegas also has Mandalay Bay, to pick from if it warrants that, Bookie, they didn't buy the San Antonio Stars which are now the Las Vegas Aces

Mandalay Bay Events Center seats 11,000. Big enough for he WNBA, but too small for the NBA. The MGM Grand Garden Arena, at 16k max would be barely big enough, but it's really a convention hall with a lot of portable seating (literally every seat in the venue folds up to open up the floor). All other arena plans are vaporware, or, in he case of the Thomas & Mack Center at UNLV, where they have the NBA Summer League for rookies and tryouts, not truly modern pro quality. Oh, and both the Mandalay Bay and MGM Grand Garden Arena of them are owned by the same company, MGM Resorts, that is co-owner of T-Mobile Arena. That's the only viable venue for an NBA team.

The MSG Sphere is not a sports arena by any stretch of the imagination. It's an amphitheater.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
As for the steakhouses, people do realize that Fertitta is a multi-billionaire because he owns a bunch of resteraunt chains, right? This purchase has zip to do with the NHL and everything to do with making more money in his primary industry. It's not like he had $650 million sitting around and thought, "Hm, do I buy a hockey team or a steakhouse chain?"

Reactions: Llama19

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
As for the steakhouses, people do realize that Fertitta is a multi-billionaire because he owns a bunch of resteraunt chains, right? This purchase has zip to do with the NHL and everything to do with making more money in his primary industry. It's not like he had $650 million sitting around and thought, "Hm, do I buy a hockey team or a steakhouse chain?"

Well it’s quite apparent he’s not willing to pay that amount for an NHL franchise so he won’t get one.

Especially when he keeps running his mouth about it.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
This and him getting hockey has nothing to do with each other.

It has more to do with the idea of the Toyota Center having a hockey tenant, which is ultimately the reason for him wanting to own an NHL team. If he is so interested in seeing the concept of how hockey will look in Houston, perhaps he'd like to run a trial version? See how filling the venue with 36 extra dates will look and if the city embraces hockey once again. And offloading the team would not be difficult on the ECHL level as opposed to the AHL level.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It has more to do with the idea of the Toyota Center having a hockey tenant, which is ultimately the reason for him wanting to own an NHL team. If he is so interested in seeing the concept of how hockey will look in Houston, perhaps he'd like to run a trial version? See how filling the venue with 36 extra dates will look and if the city embraces hockey once again. And offloading the team would not be difficult on the ECHL level as opposed to the AHL level.
the point is wouldn't you need an NHL affiliation which is now a requirement for an AHL team, see why Minnesota owned the franchise now in Iowa, the ECHL has set the bar between Portland, Worcester, and Newfoundland no matter what direction you go in, does he have 650K to engage or entice the ECHL to grant him a franchise, even if the decision is going the expansion route

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I am still betting either New Orleans or Memphis ends up moving.
Memphis isn't moving I don't see the Pelicans either, since the arena is close by the Superdome there, aqib, Memphis actually draws from Southhaven, Mississippi, which is why no hockey team has been successful there, I don't think you want to relocate both the Grizzlies and the Hustle, which Memphis owns outright

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I am still betting either New Orleans or Memphis ends up moving.
Both ownership groups don't seem to intend on selling or moving them, at all. Pelicans are owned by Saints ownership, and Memphis has local ownership as well.

EDIT:Looked in to Memphis, and its not local. Maybe they will move but they can't until 2021. So who knows? I suspect NBA won't let them though.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Both ownership groups don't seem to intend on selling or moving them, at all. Pelicans are owned by Saints ownership, and Memphis has local ownership as well.

EDIT:Looked in to Memphis, and its not local. Maybe they will move but they can't until 2021. So who knows? I suspect NBA won't let them though.
Memphis is one of the least wealthy US areas in the big 4 to have a team.

Aero 75

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, Tx
The reason Tilman Fertitta probably won't put an ECHL team in Houston is that if they do well attendance wise, his comment that "hockey struggles south of the Mason-Dixon line" would be proven wrong (which it is anyway). Then the NHL could come back and say "Well, looks like hockey did well attendance wise in Houston, so your comment was wrong. That'll be $650M for an NHL franchise, sir."

Reactions: varsaku

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
Memphis is one of the least wealthy US areas in the big 4 to have a team.
That's the main reason the NFL bypassed Memphis to allow the Houston Oilers to move to Nashville. Way more $$$ in Nashville and the decision is vindicated by the explosive growth of the area since.

But the arena location in Memphis is incredible being just off of Beale Street much like Bridgestone Arena in Nashville. They just seem to have to figure out how to make people feel safer to draw more tourists... I had to do a training session at FedEx the week before last and I told everyone that I had great BBQ ribs and I didn't get stabbed walking down from Rendezvous (Charlie Vergos Rendezvous - Original Memphis-Style BBQ and Ribs Since 1948) and the Peabody down to Beale Street. There were cops on EVERY interstate exit in Memphis and when I asked the trainers at FedEx, they said that there had been random people all over Memphis taking pot-shots at cars for weeks... Just does not have the vibe of a place I'd want to get trashed on Beale Street and expect not to get rolled for my wallet or worse like all of the bachelorette's can in Nashville.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s still going to remain a standstill. Tilman controls the only nhl viable arena in Houston. And the nhl decides where teams play.

Only outside shot of a team landing in the Houston area is for someone to build another arena there but likely in a different county. Houston contributed to the construction so I doubt they have any interest in giving the green light for another arena in the area even if privately funded.

So is there a county near Houston that is close enough to draw from them still? That’s the nhls only chance to be in Houston but not deal with Tilman.

Aero 75

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, Tx
It’s still going to remain a standstill. Tilman controls the only nhl viable arena in Houston. And the nhl decides where teams play.

Only outside shot of a team landing in the Houston area is for someone to build another arena there but likely in a different county. Houston contributed to the construction so I doubt they have any interest in giving the green light for another arena in the area even if privately funded.

So is there a county near Houston that is close enough to draw from them still? That’s the nhls only chance to be in Houston but not deal with Tilman.
A couple of years ago, there was a rumor that a group was looking to build an NHL arena in The Woodlands, 30 miles north of Houston in Montgomery County. Nothing ever came of it, so that's probably all it ever was, a rumor.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
A couple of years ago, there was a rumor that a group was looking to build an NHL arena in The Woodlands, 30 miles north of Houston in Montgomery County. Nothing ever came of it, so that's probably all it ever was, a rumor.
Which would have been a horrible idea.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
That's the main reason the NFL bypassed Memphis to allow the Houston Oilers to move to Nashville. Way more $$$ in Nashville and the decision is vindicated by the explosive growth of the area since.

But the arena location in Memphis is incredible being just off of Beale Street much like Bridgestone Arena in Nashville. They just seem to have to figure out how to make people feel safer to draw more tourists... I had to do a training session at FedEx the week before last and I told everyone that I had great BBQ ribs and I didn't get stabbed walking down from Rendezvous (Charlie Vergos Rendezvous - Original Memphis-Style BBQ and Ribs Since 1948) and the Peabody down to Beale Street. There were cops on EVERY interstate exit in Memphis and when I asked the trainers at FedEx, they said that there had been random people all over Memphis taking pot-shots at cars for weeks... Just does not have the vibe of a place I'd want to get trashed on Beale Street and expect not to get rolled for my wallet or worse like all of the bachelorette's can in Nashville.

Uh... I was in Beale Street a month after they found a dead body in one of the alleys and on the weekend they enforced a policy of making it so you needed a cover charge to get into the area was the weekend me and my brother went down there for a soccer match. They had security guards and police officers at every nook and cranny and traffic was a pain in the ass to get to the Air BnB we got a chance to spend the night in.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Memphis isn't moving I don't see the Pelicans either, since the arena is close by the Superdome there, aqib, Memphis actually draws from Southhaven, Mississippi, which is why no hockey team has been successful there, I don't think you want to relocate both the Grizzlies and the Hustle, which Memphis owns outright

Memphis's lease is up in 2027 but out clauses start in 2o21. They aren't a great draw considering they are the only major league team in town. I can't see the city putting up a billion in 2027 for a new arena. Their valuation when the owner bought out a minority investor was $1.3 billion which is relatively low by NBA standards.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012

Tom Benson's widow is 72 so who knows what she will do with the team. Also the lease expires in 2024 I am not sure the city can fund a new one

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
@aqib The only way they will move a team Is if the city's refuses to do what the nba wants. One of the reasons why the Sonics moved is that stern went up to Olympia to ask for help for a new arena and they told him to take money from the players pockets and have the league fund it themselves.

Last edited:

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I'm obviously late to this thread, and I wasn't familiar with the Rockets owner by name, so from the headline and through the article I thought it was talking about the Kelowna Rockets until I got to "he bought the Rockets from Leslie Alexander for $2.2 billion," - then I knew something was up.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
@aqib The only way they will move a team Is if the city's refuses to do what the nba wants. One of the reasons why the Sonics moved is that stern went up to Olympia to ask for help for a new arena and they told him to take money from the players pockets and have the league fund it themselves.
Consider that the Key Arena was renovated in the mid 90’s at the cost to the city. That was when Seattle was applying for an expansion NHL team and the Sonics owner at the time was a partner in the bid. He bailed out last minute. Seattle would have built a new arena instead of renovating it had the NHL awarded them a team.

15 years later the NBA wants a new arena.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Consider that the Key Arena was renovated in the mid 90’s at the cost to the city. That was when Seattle was applying for an expansion NHL team and the Sonics owner at the time was a partner in the bid. He bailed out last minute. Seattle would have built a new arena instead of renovating it had the NHL awarded them a team.

15 years later the NBA wants a new arena.
League's rarely turn there backs on city's that built them an arena even when they get in ownership or financial trouble The NHL has given Arizona multiple chances and the NBA went out of its way to protect Sacramento. I think all the political fighting and bad blood from the league office and team owners has made the NBA wary of looking into Seattle again until the arena is rebuilt and the NHL has at least a few solid years of success

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
League's rarely turn there backs on city's that built them an arena even when they get in ownership or financial trouble The NHL has given Arizona multiple chances and the NBA went out of its way to protect Sacramento. I think all the political fighting and bad blood from the league office and team owners has made the NBA wary of looking into Seattle again until the arena is rebuilt and the NHL has at least a few solid years of success
Arizona doesn't count, Centrum, why, the League actually took control of the franchise for over 3 years, how and why was Sacramento protected, I think you're confusing Sacramento with the Clippers

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

We do have David Bonderman a minority owner of the Boston Celtics as one of our NHL majority owners.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Rest assured if the NHL hadn't been able to find people willing to own the Coyotes in Arizona they would have moved them by now.

The Kings are on their third arena since moving to Sacramento in 1985. Had the city not put up nearly half the funds needed to build that third arena they could have very well ended up with Chris Hansen in Seattle.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad