Rocket League-(PS4/PC/XB1/Switch)

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Hey so... downloading this right now. Never played before so I expect to be awful. :laugh: Any tips for a total noob?

In no particular order

1. Don't chase the ball 24/7 in non-solo games.

2. When you're not close to the ball, try not to go where the ball is but where you think it's heading. So if you see someone else closer to the ball and it looks like they'll get to it first, try to guesstimate where the ball will be heading after they hit it and position yourself accordingly.

3. Manage your boost, don't burn it at unnecessary times. When you flip forward (or backwards) you gain speed and can hit sonic speed (or whatever it's called) after you do it a few times in a row. The longer you play the more you'll get accustomed to all the boost pad locations so it will be easier to subconsciously go over them. (and if you don't know, the pads with the small ball over them completely fill your boost bar)

4. Use a controller (if on PC) and change your controller layout. The default layout can definitely be improved upon. I would recommend putting boost on RB/R1, powerslide and air roll on LB/L1, scoreboard on select, and change camera on B/circle. (and voice chat on Y or X)

5. Change your camera settings. Once again the default can be improved upon. Some pro players have posted their settings, or you could just google best rocket league camera settings. You don't have to use any guide exactly the same, you can tweak it to your liking. Though you should probably keep FOV at or near full. Also, turn off camera shake.

6. You'll probably want to have ball-cam on most of the time. There will be times during the game you'll need to switch to free cam, but you'll figure it out the more you play. (or look up youtube vids on the topic)

7. Don't worry about not being an aerial master right away. It takes a lot of people 100+ hours to hit them consistently.

8. Don't always hit the ball as hard as you can. There are times when no one is pressuring you and you can slowly dribble the ball up the field.

9. Don't go after the ball at kickoff if you're furthest away from the ball (right in front of the net).

10. Unless you've been watching people play for a while, you should probably go through the tutorials in-game. It goes over the basics and even the training modes can be useful.

11. Have fun. It's just a game, and some people take it way too seriously and can ruin the experience for others with negativity.

There are tons of very helpful youtube vids with guides and tips for improving. You should check them out if you enjoy the game and want to get into it more.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Only tips I have are watch instructional videos (there are tons of how to videos on YouTube), do training/practice offline, and play a lot. No other way to get better.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Hey so... downloading this right now. Never played before so I expect to be awful. :laugh: Any tips for a total noob?

1. DO THE TUTORIALS. If you do the tutorials, you'll instantly be better than 25% of the people who play. There's plenty of non-obvious things you can do with your car, and minor quirks you can use to your advantage.

2. Try out practice mode. It can be fun, and helps you improve on timing plays, aerials, etc.

3. Don't chase the ball. There's nothing more frustrating than playing with a partner who does nothing but chase the ball all game and hope to hit it. Play smart.

4. Pick your spots. If you think someone else is going to get to a ball first, it's probably not wise to gun for that ball. You don't want to play too passive, either (and you can get hugely rewarded from deflection plays or picking up a ball someone else misses), but you need to know when to challenge and when to react. There's not always a set answer, and each player will have to find what's comfortable for them. But you can get hugely punished if you gun for a ball, and someone else beats you to it, as you'll be way out of position.

5. PLAY PLAY PLAY. Nothing is going to get you better than playing the game.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Thanks guys. Yeah so far I haven't even touched the online stuff yet. I did the tutorials and I'm just playing 1v1 exhibition matches to get comfortable with the controls and stuff. I feel some definite improvement already. Not sure I'm ready to head online yet but soon. :laugh:

Eventually I'll also need to try out 2v2 but dunno if I'm ready for that lol

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Hoops is whack. :laugh:

Thanks to that mode, i finally have all the achievements since i scored my first aerial goal in like 500+ games. :laugh:

I've gone up to score goals like that, but i guess i wasn't high enough off the ground for it to be official.

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Hoops is so ****ing frustrating yet so fun :laugh: This game continues to set an example as to what makes quality DLC.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Hoops is fun. But I recently discovered ranked matches and am having a blast against all the inferior opponents.

I had a string of 9 or so games where I scored between 3 and 6 goals a game by myself. 1000-1500 points a game.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Hoops is wayyyy better than I expected. Very well designed, these devs sure know what they're doing.

Any chance hoops becomes a ranked game?

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Hoops is fun but I wish they'd work on their matchmaking. I had 200+ hours early in the games release and my skill rating was pretty high because of it. Now, I'm really rusty and the game doesn't factor in the fact that I haven't played for months. I keep getting paired up against people that are A LOT better than me and it's really frustrating.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
My friend and I finally hit Rising Star in doubles after going up and down the divisions in Challenger Elite for two months. :laugh:

Also, Psyonix said on the rocket league subreddit that season rewards for this season would be based on the highest rank you got in any game mode at any time. You don't need to finish with that rank.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Season 3 has officially begun.

http://www.rocketleaguegame.com/news/2016/06/patch-notes-v1-19-title-update-7/
THE HEADLINES

- Added four new premium Battle-Cars…
(DLC) Neo Tokyo-inspired vehicles “Esper” and “Masamune”, and Classic Cars “Aftershock” and “Marauder” will be available July 18th.
(DLC) Six Decals for each new vehicle

- Added all-new “Neo Tokyo” Arena to all casual and competitive playlists.
- Added all-new “Pillars” Arena to Rocket Labs playlist.
- Added “Showroom” to preview premium content
- Competitive Season 2 has ended and rewards will be given to participants who achieved “Prospect I” and above
- Competitive Season 3 has begun! All competitive skill ratings have been reset.
- New “Rare” and “Very Rare” items can now be found after Online matches, there are many new items for you to discover and collect!
- Multiple Bug Fixes

Complete list below...

There's also an item trade in system and customizable quick chat messages.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Been using Sweet Tooth since day 1...don't see that changing. None of these cars can top that.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
As a side note, they reset everyone's MMR, so everyone starts off in Prospect 1/2/3/Elite after the placement matches.

I faced people ranging in skill level from prospect to super champion (from season 2). It was quite jarring from game to game.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I have about 20 hours logged into the game and I'm still pretty bad. In any event, anyone want to play a game sometime? My Steam ID is Guy Pearce.

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Won all 10 pre ranked matches by at least 2 goals, 6 of them by either 5 or a forfeit. Got put in prospect elite :laugh:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Won all 10 pre ranked matches by at least 2 goals, 6 of them by either 5 or a forfeit. Got put in prospect elite :laugh:

Basically everyone is getting put into the prospect ranks after their placement matches, even the champion rank players from last season. It's because they wiped everyone's MMR. Thankfully ranking up is faster than usual.

I was in rising star last season and was put into prospect 3 to start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad