Rocked in ankles

CN8

May 31, 2010
Canada
Anyone got advice on teaching a 6 year old with really rocked in ankles. Often this is a beginners problem but he has skated for 3 years and still bad. Skates are tight so not the problem.I’ve heard lots of people say never tape ankles but I always did. I think I heard Bure use to tape them like he was in a cast. Any tips on that or drills to straighten them up?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Anyone got advice on teaching a 6 year old with really rocked in ankles. Often this is a beginners problem but he has skated for 3 years and still bad. Skates are tight so not the problem.I’ve heard lots of people say never tape ankles but I always did. I think I heard Bure use to tape them like he was in a cast. Any tips on that or drills to straighten them up?

Do the skates fit properly?
Is he comfortable in them standing up?

Other than having the right skates and making sure they fit right, i'd say check hockey/skating stance. Should have some knee bend and be able to stand and glide a bit without wobbly ainkles.

If you can't fix it, should get him a private lesson.

Reactions: CN8

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016

I agree, that you should first check the sizing of his skates. Next, yeah, don't tape his ankles. In doing that, you're basically using that as a crutch to hold him up instead of letting him develop the strength in his ankles to do it on his own. In addition ankle mobility is key to getting into a proper stance and developing a proper stride.

Bure, was a grown man with massive leg strength. Pro players are such powerful skaters they can flex the boot and crease it. I don't think a 6 yr old kid has that kind of power. And finally, I've heard speculation that one of the reasons Bure had knee problems was because he taped up his ankles like that. Doing that put more stress on his knees because he couldn't use his ankles as much to absorb/cushion the stresses of being such a powerful skater.

CN8

May 31, 2010
Canada
Great insight
I agree, that you should first check the sizing of his skates. Next, yeah, don't tape his ankles. In doing that, you're basically using that as a crutch to hold him up instead of letting him develop the strength in his ankles to do it on his own. In addition ankle mobility is key to getting into a proper stance and developing a proper stride.

Bure, was a grown man with massive leg strength. Pro players are such powerful skaters they can flex the boot and crease it. I don't think a 6 yr old kid has that kind of power. And finally, I've heard speculation that one of the reasons Bure had knee problems was because he taped up his ankles like that. Doing that put more stress on his knees because he couldn't use his ankles as much to absorb/cushion the stresses of being such a powerful skater.
Ya I know his skates fit nice and snug I just dropped him a size. I’m guessing it’s like I thought it’s just patience and with time it develops. This is the first year in real organized hockey.
With these kinds of things it’s funny how competitive dad is usually relaxed well moms pushing “can’t you fix that” 😀

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Great insight

Ya I know his skates fit nice and snug I just dropped him a size. I’m guessing it’s like I thought it’s just patience and with time it develops. This is the first year in real organized hockey.
With these kinds of things it’s funny how competitive dad is usually relaxed well moms pushing “can’t you fix that” 😀
I think I've mentioned before this one kid that my son plays with: his dad, a literal former pro-athlete, is super relaxed and chill, while it's the mom who is the crazy hockey mom.

Patience is still the key. Your kid is only six. If his skates fit correctly he just needs more practice. In particular if this is his first year of actual hockey (I know you said he's been skating for 3 years).

CN8

May 31, 2010
Canada
I think I've mentioned before this one kid that my son plays with: his dad, a literal former pro-athlete, is super relaxed and chill, while it's the mom who is the crazy hockey mom.

Patience is still the key. Your kid is only six. If his skates fit correctly he just needs more practice. In particular if this is his first year of actual hockey (I know you said he's been skating for 3 years).
Just starting to maybe lightly try a few drills that help abit like gliding on one leg or doing C cuts between narrow pylons. Any other ideas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad