Proposal: Rock Paper Scissors

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This summer there are several players that Yzerman will need to make decisions on, whether due to contract status or how they played this season. So let's play a game. You can only pick 2 players to put in each of the following categories, and state your reasons:

1) Rock. Pick 2 players you're certain you want on new deals ASAP.

2) Paper. Pick 2 players you wouldn't mind keeping, but you're willing to look at all your options, even if that means they might get traded or lost to free agency.

3) Scissors. Pick 2 players that need to be cut loose, whether that means not extending an expiring deal, trying to trade someone for peanuts, or even buying out a contract.

I'll start:

Rock - Raymond, Seider. No brainer moves to lock both up long term. Ray has already exceeded my expectations as a player, and if he can take yet another step (putting together a full season like he played down the stretch) he could be a very special player in this league. Seider had an up and down year with far more mistakes than I'd like to see, but I'm still certain he's a top pairing minute muncher that will continue to get better as he refines his game and as talent improves around him.

Paper - Kane, Veleno. Kane brought much needed elements of firepower and clutch scoring. But I would have a very long end of season interview with him to gauge his thoughts on his own health, his interest level to return, and what kind of deal it would take to bring him back. Veleno had moments where he played well and moments where he brought nothing to the table. He plays a premium position, so I'd see how cheaply I could keep him versus what I might get if I packaged him with other assets in a sign and trade.

Scissors - Gostisbehere, Holl. That move by Ghost to jump up and grab the puck for what led to the tying goal was the stuff of legends. But he simply doesn't play any defense, and I think keeping more pucks out of their own net is where the team needs to improve the most. And Holl was a total disaster of a signing, to the point that I'm willing to buy him out. Honorable mention to Petry and Husso, but I'd rather look at the press box and LTIRetirement as options for those guys and just launch Holl via trebuchet.

So pick 2 rocks, 2 papers, 2 scissors, and shoot away! (And no use of dynamite...or lizard or Spock, for you Big Bang Theory fans.)

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I'll play!

Rock: Seider and Raymond. Give them both 8 year deals. Both have been great this season.

Paper: Kane and Fischer. Kane for obvious reasons. I like Fischer. Seems to be a good locker room guy, and he is great on the fourth line. Cheap. And he only just turned 27.

Scissors: Holl for sure. Can't afford to have 3.4M as the 7th defenseman. Reimer as the other guy, as he's only good with very limited starts.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I'll play!

Rock: Seider and Raymond. Give them both 8 year deals. Both have been great this season.

Paper: Kane and Fischer. Kane for obvious reasons. I like Fischer. Seems to be a good locker room guy, and he is great on the fourth line. Cheap. And he only just turned 27.

Scissors: Holl for sure. Can't afford to have 3.4M as the 7th defenseman. Reimer as the other guy, as he's only good with very limited starts.
Seider wasn't great this season. Yeah, his partners continue to stifle the pairing defensively but his offensive production was mediocre considering this team's powerplay and goal output in a higher scoring league. He should have hit at least 55 points.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Seider wasn't great this season. Yeah, his partners continue to stifle the pairing defensively but his offensive production was mediocre considering this team's powerplay and goal output in a higher scoring league. He should have hit at least 55 points.
I'll counter with 200+ hits, 200+ blocked shots, and matchups. Not everything is revolved about points.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I'll counter with 200+ hits, 200+ blocked shots, and matchups. Not everything is revolved about points.
No, but it helps. He had 42 points, just like last season. Even strength this team still struggles, hence why most of the roster had a negative plus/minus. I expected Seider and Raymond to both step up. I feel like Raymond stepped up significantly and Seider incrementally. I understand he plays a much tougher position. I was convinced his rookie season that he could become an elite defenseman (frequent Norris candidate) but now I'm not so sure.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Agreed. I think Seider's offensive play was limited because for most of the season this team had plenty of offense but was bleeding goals badly. Trying to lock it down defensively was more important a lot of the time.

And honestly if he's gonna have a down year offensively, right before a big contract probably helps the Wings cap space.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I wouldn't say i'm worried about Seider or anything but I will say that I thought he would win a Norris at some point in his career a couple years ago and no longer think that's particularly likely

doesn't mean the Wings shouldn't still lock him up long term though

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
We kinda take Mo for granted, 32nd in defense scoring while taking all the bad assignments is pretty good. Teams would line up to have this guy.

He's 23 and thinking there is no more upside to his game is funny. Kind of like people who were down on Raymond.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
This is the OZ deployment and QoC of Mo and every D that outscored him this season. And this doesn't account that he was on PP2 for most of the season. It's honestly ridiculous he scored as much as he did.

1713453494349.png

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Rock: Obvious two, Ray and Seider. Next two: Kane and Fischer.

Paper: Veleno and Walman. Wouldn't mind either of them back, but they are headed for lower usage as the team improves yet have decent trade value for what I hope will be a more impactful player(s) in top six/top four. Next two: Maatta and Fabbri for the same potential trade value reasons.

Scissors: Holl and Sprong. Next two: Husso and Reimer.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad