Music: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2020: Doobies, mode, T Rex, Biggie, NIN,

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
outside of Canada they are barely known

Tragically Hip (Who I hate) are better known

how the F you gonna hate the Hip?

Anyways, unfortunately, only bands that make it big in the USA or UK get on these lists....because otherwise the Hip would already be in, seeing as how they're better than tons of artists already inducted. And I personally doubt many of those artists could garner a tv audience of the size the Hip got for their last show in any one country.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
how the F you gonna hate the Hip?

Anyways, unfortunately, only bands that make it big in the USA or UK get on these lists....because otherwise the Hip would already be in, seeing as how they're better than tons of artists already inducted. And I personally doubt many of those artists could garner a tv audience of the size the Hip got for their last show in any one country.

I liked their stuff up to to Road Apples but after that nothing. And I just felt the media hyped them more than they should have

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
We're at the point where these early 70s bands have been eligible for 20-30 years, yet new names from then keep popping up on the list.

Pat BenatarNo. Don’t really have any complaints. She’s certainly closer to yes for me than most all of the other nos on this list, but I’ll stick with no.

Dave Matthews BandNo. They’ve managed to re-release the same album almost ten times with a different name and cover art, and no one has seemed to notice.

Depeche ModeYes. They had a pretty original sound and found a lot of success.

The Doobie BrothersNo. The reason they are only now being nominated is because, every prior year the committee thought about them, they’d pass out from boredom in their meeting as soon as someone hit play on a Doobie Brothers album. I guess they got better coffee for this year’s meeting.

Whitney HoustonNo. Not rock. Not even close, but I guess after Madonna was put in, the rules are out the window. The only reason she might not get in is because she’s dead. The Hall prefers live acts who can help sell induction ceremony tickets.

Judas PriestNo. It would be nice to see the hall recognize more metal bands at some point, but there are far better options.

Kraftwerk No. On the influence side of the equation, they satisfy all of the requirements. Many artists point to Kraftwerk as influences, but to be in the hall, you also need at least some element of fame.

MC5 No. Someone on the committee must love these guys because their name keeps popping up, despite them being a third tier act that only continues to make the list because pretty much every other band from the 60s to have ever had a #1 album has already gotten in.

Motörhead No. This one is a strange one. It’s a band all metal heads and rock fans will say they love to death, but Motörhead’s best-selling album in the U.S. during their prime peaked at #142. How real is all of that love if no one bought their albums? To pretty much all Americans, this is a one-hit wonder with “Ace of Spades” being the only song they could name.

Nine Inch NailsYes. As a super fan, I'll avoid blubbering about them. I'll just point to the facts. Tons of record sales over several decades. Multiple huge hits. Reznor was named the most influential person in music a couple of times. Easy yes.

The Notorious B.I.G.Yes. While he certainly benefits from the early death, he had a couple of albums that were massive crossover hits. He had an album where one song was an instruction manual for selling crack, and the album sold 11 million copies. He reached an audience beyond his genre, which can’t be said for most of the D team 70s bands still percolating on this list.

Rufus featuring Chaka KhanNo. No act featuring “featuring” deserves to get in. Leaning on a part time member’s fame is no reason to get in.

Todd RundgrenNo. He can go petition the State Fair Tour Hall of Fame for entry.

Soundgarden Yes. One of the biggest bands in the land for a while that also worked to launch Chris Cornell to even more greatness later on.

T.RexNo. I put “T.Rex” into google. A link to them didn’t pop up until the bottom of the fourth page, and it was a link to their Spotify page. If you look at google’s suggestions, you have them suggesting “T.Rex arms” before “T.Rex band.” This might be the least relevant act ever nominated.

Thin LizzyNo. Essentially a one hit wonder with the extremely overplayed “The Boys Are Back in Town”. There’s a reason why they’ve been eligible for over 20 years and have not been previously nominated. But I get it. Gotta keep offering some old bands to appeal to the Boomer donors.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So you say no to Whitney Houston citing that she is not "Rock" and then give a yes to Notorious BIG who is even further from "Rock"

The reality is non-Rock acts have been in since nearly as soon as HOF opened and the HOF being called "Rock and Roll HOF" is issue not the inductions

And sorry but Whitney Houston is more influential and bigger success then everyone else on that list so she very much is deserving and should be 1st ballot HOF

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
So you say no to Whitney Houston citing that she is not "Rock" and then give a yes to Notorious BIG who is even further from "Rock"

The reality is non-Rock acts have been in since nearly as soon as HOF opened and the HOF being called "Rock and Roll HOF" is issue not the inductions

And sorry but Whitney Houston is more influential and bigger success then everyone else on that list so she very much is deserving and should be 1st ballot HOF
He gave a NO to Pat and a YES to Depeche mode? Nuff said.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

I consider rap to be far more akin to rock and/or roll because of its attitude than I do the pop dance genre. It's why I'm fine embracing rap as belonging in the rock hall over artists who are primarily featured on adult contemporary stations.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
The Monkees is a hot topic because of the fact evidence proves that on their first couple of Albums that it was the wrecking crew who played on the songs and the four guys just sang the songs
BUT, they did eventually take over, made two (arguably three with The Birds, The Bees etc. ) far more creative and groundbreaking albums, and were influential. The Monkees get played on HoF inductee Tom Petty's Sirius channel, for instance, because Petty was a huge fan who was influenced by their music. Their songs have been covered by fairly large number of other artists as well. And let's be honest, they didn't play on their first two albums because they weren't ALLOWED to play on their first two albums. They wanted to, but it took Mike Nesmith punching a hole in a wall in a hotel conference room in Hawaii to pull it off, and how rock and roll is THAT? :D

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Judas PriestNo. It would be nice to see the hall recognize more metal bands at some point, but there are far better options.
I would love to know who you consider to be "far better options" in the metal genre over Judas Priest. There's Sabbath and then uhhhh, who else, really?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

I find more flaws in his logic than that.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
XTC should be a lock. Those guys had the longevity and were brilliant songwriters.

How are the Deftones not nominated? First album came out in 1995, and they've continued to improve.

Love and Rockets and Husker Du go in my HOF any day.

And before Whitney Houston please put in Minnie Ripperton who had some rock songs (no disrespect to Whitney Houston just facts, Ripperton was more diverse in her styles) and Patrice Rushen.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
We're at the point where these early 70s bands have been eligible for 20-30 years, yet new names from then keep popping up on the list.

My hot takes on this list:

Pat Benatar – Eventually she'll go in but she's borderline to me. Not yet.

Dave Matthews Band – Industry darlings and their fans during my college days were insufferable HOWEVER, being unbiased based on sales, influence, and how they did it as a grassroots bands for the first 3-4 years and were this lineup of assembled all star local musicians in Virginia/DC plus Carter Beauford wore hockey jerseys (lol) and Steffon Lessard is really underrated (ok those last two points are only for us).. a slam dunk.

Depeche Mode – One of the biggest bands of the 1980s. Yes.

The Doobie Brothers – Absolutely. They were hit makers and had two eras in their career. Even the later stuff like Taking It To The Streets and Minute By Minute with Michael McDonald are still played at sporting events, malls, etc. to this day. Numbers and longevity don't lie.

Whitney Houston – Not yet. She'll get in based on reputation. But Minnie Ripperton and other singers from the 70s should be in first.

Judas Priest – Should have been in a long time ago. The main hall voters hate metal and it takes a Tom Morello or Eddie Trunk to really lobby for hard rock or metal acts. I put them in but the hall won't yet.

Kraftwerk – I love them but not yet. Borderline. Very influential in the alternative and electronic scene,

MC5 – No. One big hit and not enough recordings.

Motörhead – They'll get in for Lemmy being the old crazy uncle who says bad things but everyone loves. And I genuinely like some of the music they did in the 80s like Another Perfect Day. They don't get in in my opinion however they will as guys like Morello/Trunk/other voting members will go to bat for them and because of personal relationships with the band.

Nine Inch Nails – Easily yes. It helps that Reznor's cleaned up but one of the biggest acts of the 90s.

The Notorious B.I.G. – Yes. Transcended a genre into the mainsteam and in the world of rap is still a top 3 MC all time despite a small discog.

Rufus featuring Chaka Khan – No. I love Rufus but not enough consistent material. Three hit albums and Chaka Khan basically "took over" the band like Fonzie in Happy Days (not all her fault a lot of interference and people making bad decisions on drugs).

Todd Rundgren – He should be in as a builder or overall contributor for his production alone.

Soundgarden – Most interesting of the Seattle bands. Double thumbs up.

T.Rex – Yes, apparently everyone in that era listened to them and loved them.

Thin Lizzy – They were a very big deal and popular back in the day. I'd say not this year but definitely next year.

Mescaleroman

Jan 13, 2019
Southern Shore
How the hell the Jam isn't in before some of these other English bands , or at least Weller , if it's because they didn't have a big enough repertoire , is beyond me.
But sure , induct Whitney Houston , which to me is like inducting Roberto Clemente into the Hockey Hall of Fame :dunno:.

Number 9

What rhymes with Gagne?
Oct 14, 2008
Park City, UT
look up Marc Bolan for T-Rex. He was influential in many other areas then just his band. NIN is an easy one and so is Depeche Mode for what they were in the 80's.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm surprised to see Thin Lizzy on the ballot, not that I really know their stuff but I absolutely love the smashing pumpkins cover of Dancing in the Moonlight, I had never even heard Thin Lizzy play that song till just now and it sounded terrible but the cover I could never get sick of hearing it.

Aside from a few of them I wouldn't vote for any of them to get in and several I never even heard of.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I'm surprised to see Thin Lizzy on the ballot, not that I really know their stuff but I absolutely love the smashing pumpkins cover of Dancing in the Moonlight, I had never even heard Thin Lizzy play that song till just now and it sounded terrible but the cover I could never get sick of hearing it.

Aside from a few of them I wouldn't vote for any of them to get in and several I never even heard of.

I learned about Thin Lizzy through Iron Maiden - they were one of a handful of bands (along with Wishbone Ash and perhaps UFO) that pioneered dual lead guitars in the context of hard rock.

"Live And Dangerous" might be my favourite live album of all-time (though there are debates about how much of it was later over-dubbed in the studio). "Jailbreak" is their best (and most famous) studio album.

I don't know (or care) if Thin Lizzy ends up in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - home of NWA and 2Pac, but not Judas Priest. But they have some very good material worth checking out.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm a bit ashamed to say that I'm always mixing up Pat Benatar and Belinda Carlisle.

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
If voters pass on The Notorious B.I.G., and there are 8 inductees

The 2020 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Inductees

Pat Benatar
Whitney Houston
Depeche Mode
The Doobie Brothers
Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan
Dave Matthews Band
Nine Inch Nails
Soundgarden

This would make an amazing class!!

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

for me Bono and Edge gave the best reason for them to be in

For Irish Bands in the 70's? name the other ones

and then you have a black singer fronting a rock band?

Double guitar leads? Stones,ACDC then Lizzy--

If you are talking about influence Def Leppard and how they did the double guitars is a direct reflection of lizzy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad