Rochester and Cincinnati All-Purpose Thread 2022-2023 Season (Conference Finals: Hershey wins 4-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
For anyone who is angry right now ask yourself this question: Would you trade our roster straight up for Hershey's? Why or why not?

The answer is obvious.
The reality is the philosophy behind the way Hershey's roster is built vs Rochester's is going to mean that more often than not (if not almost always) Hershey is going to be better positioned to make noise for the Calder Cup than Rochester.

This series wasn't determined by officiating, it was determined by Hershey's more experienced roster being able to play to situations better than the Amerks did (look no further than the blown lead in game 4, and the absolute chasm in special teams effectiveness throughout the series)

Things came together nicely for the Amerks in the post season, but this was also a roster that was literally a bad day of results on the last day of the regular season away from playing in the play in round against the team that eliminated them last year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This was a fun, and unexpected run. It sucks to see them lose, but some of the nearly ready guys got a lot of experience in harder games under more trying physical conditions. Hopefully they can use that experience to springboard them in the coming months and years.

This was the most entertaining Amerk season in a long time.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
ah well, good season for the Amerks and some amazing experience for our young guys. You gotta think either Rousek is on the Sabres next year or they use him as trade bait to bring in a defensemen.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
The reality is the philosophy behind the way Hershey's roster is built vs Rochester's is going to mean that more often than not (if not almost always) Hershey is going to be better positioned to make noise for the Calder Cup than Rochester.

This series wasn't determined by officiating, it was determined by Hershey's more experienced roster being able to play to situations better than the Amerks did (look no further than the blown lead in game 4, and the absolute chasm in special teams effectiveness throughout the series)

Things came together nicely for the Amerks in the post season, but this was also a roster that was literally a bad day of results on the last day of the regular season away from playing in the play in round against the team that eliminated them last year.
Great point. Many, myself included, largely view the AHL as a developmental feeder league. It is a natural progression and a solid place for prospects to build their endurance and skill sets in preparation for an NHL shot.

In the end, I want the team to win in the playoffs so that key prospects gain that experience for the next level. If Rochester was built with a roster full of career AHLers (Michael Mersch, Sean Malone, Dylan McIlrath, etc), I would not be watching the games, nor would I care if they won at all.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Loosing three at home is bit like the parent club, need to find out what the problem is at home. Still, the future looks bright, and it was good run.

Reactions: jamienwalker

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Figure we'll leave this open for up through whatever locker cleanout stuff they might do or playoff post mortems, and then start one for next season for Rochester and Cincy.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Agree with the most of the above.

Specific to the series…. I‘m curious how much of a difference Biro could have made, especially on the PP. They had enough PPs in the last few games to make a difference had they produced.

Probably shouldn’t have changed their lineup approach for game #2 from 11/7 to 12/6, at least wait until they lost. They had a rhythm with the 11/7 setup. It allowed the forwards who were going extra shifts beyond their line. Plus it spread out the pounding the dmen took. But they kind of had to go 12/8 to get Savoie in. In hindsight, that was probably something they should have waited on.

Thats how sports can be sometimes. Look no further than the Panthers in the Cup Final.

That said, it’s certainly a product of the organization’s approach to Rochester. Where first year pros/first year in NA (or both) are on the roster. It’s not unusual for them to come on later in the season after a period of adjustment.

Last edited:

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021

Edit: Leave it up to Harrington to ask Karmanos about interviewing for the Penguins lol but I am glad he did because Karmanos gave a reassuring answer. Karmanos seems to enjoy what the Sabres are building as an organization and wants to continue to be apart of it.

His family likes it here too, thats very important factor too.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Still amazed at how the current management and coaching staffs have altered the conversation with how the Sabres press guys. That's been one of the more interesting outcomes of Adams' organization, including Harrington kicking off his questions to Appert by actually thanking Apps for how he and the org dealt with the press.

What timeline am I in? :laugh:

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Still amazed at how the current management and coaching staffs have altered the conversation with how the Sabres press guys. That's been one of the more interesting outcomes of Adams' organization, including Harrington kicking off his questions to Appert by actually thanking Apps for how he and the org dealt with the press.

What timeline am I in? :laugh:
yea, the press and their tenure really drove out the players and tainted everything.. MCD, beane KA and even skinner have held up an ugly mirror to sheets like Harrington.. Cool that's being noticed

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Great year for the Amerks. Bravo!

They absolutely gave their all, which is all we fans can ever ask.

The player in the playoffs that suprised me the most to the upside.....was Jobst. What a motor.

Honorable mention to Pilut as well. He played his heart out. I hope he wants to stay as a top pairing AHL guy. Unfortunately, there just isn't enough there to make the big club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad