Rochester Americans to go to 2013 Spengler Cup

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Is this the same Rochester Americans team that hasn't traveled to Milwaukee for an AHL game in years because they don't have the money? What gives?

Rochester is the only Western Conference team that didn't play the Admirals this season. And last season. And the season before that. And ...

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Is this the same Rochester Americans team that hasn't traveled to Milwaukee for an AHL game in years because they don't have the money? What gives?

Rochester is the only Western Conference team that didn't play the Admirals this season. And last season. And the season before that. And ...

Include all the teams in this area in your post.... :laugh:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Include all the teams in this area in your post.... :laugh:

I did that on the Let's Go Amerks board. I said that "King David should rent a bus and have the Amerks come out for a weekend against Milwaukee, Chicago and Rockford. It is only 12 hours, not 12 time zones."

One of their fans agreed with me. They played Grand Rapids and down in Texas this season. I am pretty sure that Milwaukee is closer than Austin.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Excited for this. Amerks are a good team to represent the AHL.

How do you figure that? No one knows what next years team will look like and the Amerks haven't won anything in eons.

They should send a team like Hershey who always seems to be at the top of the standings in the East or the Marlies or Stars who have been near the top in the West.

The only reason they are sending Rochester is because of their name.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
They are a good representation mostly for their name and tradition. Hershey would have been good, too. But the Amerks were the first team from the AHL to participate in this tournament, makes sense to have them come back. And it appears the Amerks were invited by the people who run the Spengler Cup, so maybe they want the Amerks.

PattyLaLa16

Apr 1, 2006
Rochester, NY

The Amerks are owned by billionaire Terry Pegula, so I doubt it's a money issue. The Amerks have been trying to get into the EC for years. This ownership and last has requested to the league that they play a EC modeled schedule. The only reason why they even go to Texas is because the Texas teams have requested the Amerks the last several years.

On the original topic of the Spengler Cup, I think it's fantastic. The Amerks will have a busy month of Dec. hosting an outdoor game as well as participating in this tournament.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Pegula has come off as nothing but a cheapskate freaksow who is all interested in the side nonsense. I hope he enjoys his terrible NHL team. He came in talking a big game and has nothing to show it. His team might be in more disseray than the Bills now as far as the product is concerned and Ralphie has set the bar pretty low.

I agree with your sentiment Tommy Hawk. The Americans have done squat in almost 15 years. History should nly mean so much, they aren't even a Top 10 AHL Franchise at the moment if we are talking about current successes.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Pegula has come off as nothing but a cheapskate freaksow who is all interested in the side nonsense. I hope he enjoys his terrible NHL team. He came in talking a big game and has nothing to show it. His team might be in more disseray than the Bills now as far as the product is concerned and Ralphie has set the bar pretty low.

I agree with your sentiment Tommy Hawk. The Americans have done squat in almost 15 years. History should nly mean so much, they aren't even a Top 10 AHL Franchise at the moment if we are talking about current successes.
Who cares? The tournament is not about just taking the best team from this season or something like that. That team could be terrible next year. It's about bringing in a franchise with a rich tradition. By all indications, the Spengler Cup invited Rochester. There's a reason for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad