Herbie Lewis - Evgeni Malkin - Helmut Balderis
Johnny Gottselig (A) - Phil Goyette - Owen Nolan
Brian Rolston - Dale Hunter - Rick Tocchet

Serge Savard (C) - Earl Seibert
Babe Pratt - Tom Johnson
Carol Vadnais - Joe Hall

Patrick Roy
Miikka Kiprusoff

Spares: Bernie Nicholls, C - Brian Bellows, LW/RW - Al Arbour, D - Mike Ridley, C

PP1: Tkachuk - Malkin - Lafleur - Pratt - Seibert
PP2: Nolan - Gilmour - Balderis - Vadnais - Hall
PK1: Gilmour - Savard - Johnson - Seibert
PK2: Rolston - Gottselig - Vadnais - Hall

Forward Minutes
Player | ES | PP | PK | Total
Doug Gilmour| 14 | 3 | 4 | 21
Guy Lafleur| 14 | 5 | 0 |19
Keith Tkachuk| 14 | 4| 0 | 18
Evgeni Malkin| 13 | 4 | 0 | 17
Johnny Gottselig| 14 | 0 | 3 | 17
Helmut Balderis |12 | 2 | 0 | 14
Owen Nolan| 11 | 3 | 0 | 14
Herbie Lewis| 12 | 0 | 0 |12
Phil Goyette| 11 | 0 | 0 | 11
Rick Tocchet | 9 | 0 | 0 | 9
Brian Rolston | 6| 0 | 3 | 9
Dale Hunter| 8 | 0 | 0 | 8
TOTAL | 138 | 21 | 14 | 173

Defensemen Minutes
Player | ES | PP | PK | Total
Earl Seibert | 18 | 4 | 4 | 26
Serge Savard | 17 | 0 | 4 | 21
Tom Johnson | 17 | 0 | 4 | 21
Joe Hall | 14 | 3 | 3 | 20
Babe Pratt | 15 | 4 | 0 | 19
Carol Vadnais | 11 | 3 | 3 | 17
TOTAL | 92 | 14 | 14 | 120

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Oh boy, this is going to be a bloodbath

I don't know exactly what you're trying to say about me or about dreakmur here, but I suggest you go take a look at our MLD 2014 series if you want an example of what this might look like. We share mutual respect and don't fight dirty.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I don't know exactly what you're trying to say about me or about dreakmur here, but I suggest you go take a look at our MLD 2014 series if you want an example of what this might look like. We share mutual respect and don't fight dirty.

I think he just means that the series should be good. I really like both our teams this year. Should be a fun one.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Looking forward to hearing both GM's on this one. Two teams I have high up in my rankings.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Anyway - lets start with the easy comparison. Patrick Roy vs. Martin Brodeur.

The top 3 goalies are all close - Dominik Hasek, Patrick Roy, and Jacques Plante. I have Patrick Roy as a close #2 to Dominik Hasek, but that's counting the regular season. In the play-offs, I'd take Roy.

Brodeur is in the next group with Terry Sawchuk and Glenn Hall. I have Brodeur #5 behind Glenn Hall... but again, he'd better in the play-offs.

Patrick Roy is a moderate advantage for Regina.

I do think that Brodeur, as the best puck-handling goalie of all time, adds something outside of his ability to stop the puck. It does nothing to close the gap between he and Roy in net, but it will help my defensemen.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Obviously two very strong teams.

Question for Orillia: How do you see your relatively small forwards fairing against the size and skill and smart of Regina's top pairing?

Question for Regina: While your blueline is overall strong, if there is a weaknesses of your team, it's probably puck movement from the back end. How do you see your team fairing against the strong forecheck of players like Ted Lindsay, Craig Ramsay, and Frank Foyston?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Well, let's take a look at the top-6s.

Ted Lindsay-Bill Cowley-Frank Foyston vs. Keith Tkachuk-Doug Gilmour-Guy Lafleur

Well, the first thing to do is compare their offensive games. Guess the easiest way is to just fire out the 7 season vs. X numbers and go from there.

Orillia: 104.3 / 97.0 / 78.4* = 279.7
Regina: 79.1 / 82.1 / 103.9 = 265.1

I would say, since Ted Lindsay played with Gordie Howe, and generally was not the offensive driver of his line, his numbers are probably higher than his actual ability as an offensive player. That would drop the Orillia closer to Regina, but still ahead.

Defensively, Doug Gilmour is easily the best one here. Ted Lindsay and Frank Foyston are both good, but not elite. Bill Cowley is the weakest. Regina, having the edge in the middle of the ice, probably has the defensive edge.

Physically, Ted Lindsay is easily the strongest, and Cowley the weakest. Even with Cowley, I think Orillia's wingers give them an edge.

Lynn Patrick-Darryl Sittler-Mark Recchi vs. Herbie Lewis-Evgeni Malkin-Helmut Balderis

Orillia: 79.4 / 85.7 / 88.3 = 253.4
Regina: 74.9 / 90.7 / 80.0* = 245.6

With this season over, Malkin jumps up over 90. which makes him a real nice offensive player in this role. Can we agree that 80 is a fair score for Balderis?

I do really, really like my Sittler-Recchi combination here. Easily my favorite 2nd line duo I've made. Both well rounded offensive players. Both have good peaks and longevity. Both bring physical play. :nod:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Anyway - lets start with the easy comparison. Patrick Roy vs. Martin Brodeur.

The top 3 goalies are all close - Dominik Hasek, Patrick Roy, and Jacques Plante. I have Patrick Roy as a close #2 to Dominik Hasek, but that's counting the regular season. In the play-offs, I'd take Roy.

Brodeur is in the next group with Terry Sawchuk and Glenn Hall. I have Brodeur #5 behind Glenn Hall... but again, he'd better in the play-offs.

Patrick Roy is a moderate advantage for Regina.

I do think that Brodeur, as the best puck-handling goalie of all time, adds something outside of his ability to stop the puck. It does nothing to close the gap between he and Roy in net, but it will help my defensemen.

There's no hiding what kind of goalie Patrick Roy is. Not only does he have a regular season peak to rival Hasek, but he has the best sustained playoff numbers of all-time and some of the most dominant finals runs ever put together by a goalie.

In clutch situations he was practically unbeatable. Once he got into the zone, there were times it seemed like nothing was going to beat him. I'm trying to think of a way to encapsulate his playoff aura and reputation in a single sentence, and it's just not possible.

Even if we were simply judging the two goalies based on their overall resumes, Roy would have the clear and decisive advantage, but considering it's playoffs and we begin to weigh playoff performance more heavily now, the difference is only more pronounced.

I guess where I'm going with this is, I don't quite know what you mean by the word "moderate". :laugh: - you haven't made any other comparisons for me to compare this one to. Maybe moderate is the right word, maybe not. I don't know if it would be appropriate for someone who has Howie Morenz to claim his opponent Wayne Gretzky is only a "moderate" advantage.

We can come back to goaltending though.

Question for Regina: While your blueline is overall strong, if there is a weaknesses of your team, it's probably puck movement from the back end. How do you see your team fairing against the strong forecheck of players like Ted Lindsay, Craig Ramsay, and Frank Foyston?

I'm surprised that you think puck movement from the back end is a weakness.

Earl Seibert was a very fast skater, likely the fastest defenseman of his time and in some peoples' opinions, possibly the fastest player period. His offensive numbers (7 times top-3 in defense points) coupled with the quotes about his rushing ability, puckhandling skills, and literally puck moving skills, I don't see him being a problem.

Serge Savard didn't produce what he could/should have based on his pre-injury years when he was a bigger and more defensive J.C. Tremblay, but that doesn't mean he had any problems moving the puck. This is not something that ever came up in my research.

Babe Pratt is a player you're quite familiar with. He was a good skater and an outstanding producer. He described his play as follows: "any time I had the puck I’d go down the ice with it". Getting the puck to the opposition's end is exactly what he was best at.

Tom Johnson's first quote in my bio reads: "he was an excellent puck handler and passer and could get the puck up to the forwards with efficiency. Part of Montreal's rapid transition game." If you dig deeper you'll find notes like "deft at getting the puck out of the corners and out of danger in the canadiens’ zone".

Carol Vadnais was a high end "offenseman" whose rushing style was compared to that of Bobby Orr. His offensive numbers also speak to his ability to move the puck.

Joe Hall, it turns out, was an excellent producer for a defenseman in his era and throughout his bio there are passages describing him rushing the puck every season.

I know I didn't get myself a Brian Leetch or Scott Niedermayer, but I also deliberately didn't get a Ken Morrow or Craig Ludwig. I consider this defense corps very mobile, and well above average offensively and with the puck in general.

To answer the question, guys like Lindsay, Foyston and Ramsay are in the ATD for a reason. They're smart players and good forecheckers that will give even ATD defensemen trouble on occasion. I don't consider this a key point in the matchup, because my defensemen are not particularly suceptible to forecheckers, and at the other end of the rink I've got Tkachuk, Lewis, Nolan, Hunter and Tocchet who can play that way as well.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Well, let's take a look at the top-6s.

Ted Lindsay-Bill Cowley-Frank Foyston vs. Keith Tkachuk-Doug Gilmour-Guy Lafleur

Well, the first thing to do is compare their offensive games. Guess the easiest way is to just fire out the 7 season vs. X numbers and go from there.

Orillia: 104.3 / 97.0 / 78.4* = 279.7
Regina: 79.1 / 82.1 / 103.9 = 265.1

I would say, since Ted Lindsay played with Gordie Howe, and generally was not the offensive driver of his line, his numbers are probably higher than his actual ability as an offensive player. That would drop the Orillia closer to Regina, but still ahead.

Defensively, Doug Gilmour is easily the best one here. Ted Lindsay and Frank Foyston are both good, but not elite. Bill Cowley is the weakest. Regina, having the edge in the middle of the ice, probably has the defensive edge.

Physically, Ted Lindsay is easily the strongest, and Cowley the weakest. Even with Cowley, I think Orillia's wingers give them an edge.

Fair analysis. A few things:

- VsX is supposed to knock the war years down a peg, but the spreadsheet I see gives him a score of 103 for 1945 when he was 4th in scoring. Something doesn't seem right there. I think his score should be closer to the 72 I previously calculated for him. Same with 1944 (not the 92 I'm seeing). Do I have an old sheet, maybe?

- That's good that you recognize Lindsay's ability doesn't match his score. But how much do we really drop him by? I recall Sturm's point that when the Bruins were breaking the system in the 70s, the best thing to do for the Cashmans and Hodges is to compare them to the high scoring players they benefitted from. The same thing should apply to lindsay and Howe. His career VsX scores would be as follows, if we use Howe as his benchmark in seasons where he played on the same line yet lagged behind offensively:

1945-37
1946-33
1947-67
1948-87
1949-100
1950-113
1951-68
1952-80
1953-75
1954-77
1955-51
1956-70
1957-96
1958-55
1959-77
1960-33
1965-34

using the best 7, he would be at exactly 90.0. I realize that's probably a little lower than you'd like to see him, but I don't see why he'd be handled any differently from Cashman and Hodge. He's obviously far better than either of them, but his numbers benefited in a way similar to theirs when his generational linemate peaked.

A properly brought down to earth Ted Lindsay means that if you're just summing up the offensive skill on these lines, they are very even - well within the "margin of error" (assuming there's not an update to be made to Cowley).

second, are you sure that Lindsay is "easily" the strongest physical player? Keith Tkachuk was devastatingly powerful himself. He wasn't just some Shanahan who coasted off his early reputation. He banged and crashed and fought for over a decade, was incredibly strong and had the speed to really hurt people physically. Ted Lindsay is an all-time legend, but it's not because he was on another plane physically, it's because he was extremely physical while being a star offensive player. I'm not trying to put Tkachuk on Lindsay's level as an overall player, but I see no reason to believe Lindsay will be far more effective in that area, either. Even adjusted, his size (5'11", 193 lbs) is not fear-inspiring.

lastly, that's nice of you to claim that Regina gets a defensive edge because of center, but I believe you kind of implied that the overall ability on the lines might be similar. I just checked through the Lindsay and Foyston bios, and is it really appropriate to say they are good defensively in an ATD setting?

I think Regina takes this by virtue of being even in talent and physicality, ahead in puckwinning ability (Tkachuk/Gilmour>Lindsay/Foyston) and definitely ahead defensively. It's a line that has everything. Orillia's line is well constructed, too, but lacks some size (all these forwards adjust to 187-198 lbs except the 235 lb Tkachuk), an excellent defensive presence and a true gamebreaking talent (Lafleur).

It's worth noting that in a playoff setting, Doug Gilmour is a couple of tiers above where one might normally rank him, and Lafleur, the MVP of a dynasty, managed to exceed his high expectations in the playoffs as well. Tkachuk is minus in the playoffs, definitely, but overall, this should be a line that's even better in the playoffs. Is Orillia's line much better in the playoffs?

Lynn Patrick-Darryl Sittler-Mark Recchi vs. Herbie Lewis-Evgeni Malkin-Helmut Balderis

Orillia: 79.4 / 85.7 / 88.3 = 253.4
Regina: 74.9 / 90.7 / 80.0* = 245.6

With this season over, Malkin jumps up over 90. which makes him a real nice offensive player in this role. Can we agree that 80 is a fair score for Balderis?

I do really, really like my Sittler-Recchi combination here. Easily my favorite 2nd line duo I've made. Both well rounded offensive players. Both have good peaks and longevity. Both bring physical play. :nod:

Kind of similar lines in a way. No major physical presences. Meant to just provide secondary scoring.

Balderis an 80? Well that's lower than I'd have him (my soviet system puts him at 86) but I would expect that from a competitive opponent. Again, with those 6 points, we'd be right in the margin of error for total offensive skill, if we're not already. However:

- Again, Regina has the one real gamebreaking talent (by 2nd line standards) on this line (Malkin)
- Regina again has the best defensive player on either line by a wide margin (Lewis)
- Regina has the only player with an exceptional playoff record (Malkin)

Lewis and Recchi are about even physically - nothing intimidating, but hard working, never quit guys who will compete hard. Balderis and Patrick cancel out as non-factors. And yes, Sittler will have a little more fight in him than Malkin, but how much, really? I'm not seeing this as a real physical mismatch, are you?

In conclusion, in the team's respective top-6 forwards I have big concerns about the overall defensive ability of Orillia compared to Regina (something Regina managed to do without sacrificing too much offensive skill), the gamebreaking talent of Lafleur and Malkin being too much for these lines to handle in power-on-power situations, and their ability to match their clutch heroics.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
There's no hiding what kind of goalie Patrick Roy is. Not only does he have a regular season peak to rival Hasek, but he has the best sustained playoff numbers of all-time and some of the most dominant finals runs ever put together by a goalie.

In clutch situations he was practically unbeatable. Once he got into the zone, there were times it seemed like nothing was going to beat him. I'm trying to think of a way to encapsulate his playoff aura and reputation in a single sentence, and it's just not possible.

Even if we were simply judging the two goalies based on their overall resumes, Roy would have the clear and decisive advantage, but considering it's playoffs and we begin to weigh playoff performance more heavily now, the difference is only more pronounced.

I guess where I'm going with this is, I don't quite know what you mean by the word "moderate". :laugh: - you haven't made any other comparisons for me to compare this one to. Maybe moderate is the right word, maybe not. I don't know if it would be appropriate for someone who has Howie Morenz to claim his opponent Wayne Gretzky is only a "moderate" advantage.

We can come back to goaltending though.

I think you would agree that Roy is in the top tier of goalies. He is at best #1 and at worst #3. Though, I think it would be pretty hard to make an argument that he is clearly any place within that tier.

Would you disagree that Brodeur is in the next teir with Sawchuk and Hall? That's where I see him. Much like the top tier, this one is pretty murky as well - I can see an argument for any of the three to land any place within this tier.

How much of an advantage do you think you have? When I say moderate, I mean an advantage that is undeniable, but not a wide margin.

I'm surprised that you think puck movement from the back end is a weakness.

Earl Seibert was a very fast skater, likely the fastest defenseman of his time and in some peoples' opinions, possibly the fastest player period. His offensive numbers (7 times top-3 in defense points) coupled with the quotes about his rushing ability, puckhandling skills, and literally puck moving skills, I don't see him being a problem.

Serge Savard didn't produce what he could/should have based on his pre-injury years when he was a bigger and more defensive J.C. Tremblay, but that doesn't mean he had any problems moving the puck. This is not something that ever came up in my research.

Babe Pratt is a player you're quite familiar with. He was a good skater and an outstanding producer. He described his play as follows: "any time I had the puck I’d go down the ice with it". Getting the puck to the opposition's end is exactly what he was best at.

Tom Johnson's first quote in my bio reads: "he was an excellent puck handler and passer and could get the puck up to the forwards with efficiency. Part of Montreal's rapid transition game." If you dig deeper you'll find notes like "deft at getting the puck out of the corners and out of danger in the canadiens’ zone".

Carol Vadnais was a high end "offenseman" whose rushing style was compared to that of Bobby Orr. His offensive numbers also speak to his ability to move the puck.

Joe Hall, it turns out, was an excellent producer for a defenseman in his era and throughout his bio there are passages describing him rushing the puck every season.

I know I didn't get myself a Brian Leetch or Scott Niedermayer, but I also deliberately didn't get a Ken Morrow or Craig Ludwig. I consider this defense corps very mobile, and well above average offensively and with the puck in general.

To answer the question, guys like Lindsay, Foyston and Ramsay are in the ATD for a reason. They're smart players and good forecheckers that will give even ATD defensemen trouble on occasion. I don't consider this a key point in the matchup, because my defensemen are not particularly suceptible to forecheckers, and at the other end of the rink I've got Tkachuk, Lewis, Nolan, Hunter and Tocchet who can play that way as well.

I agree Earl Seibert is an under-rated offensive player. He's actually not far behind Larry Robinson.

Guys like Savard and Johnson were good puck-movers in the NHL, but this is a whole different level. They certainly don't stack up with Tremblay and Keith.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Fair analysis. A few things:

- VsX is supposed to knock the war years down a peg, but the spreadsheet I see gives him a score of 103 for 1945 when he was 4th in scoring. Something doesn't seem right there. I think his score should be closer to the 72 I previously calculated for him. Same with 1944 (not the 92 I'm seeing). Do I have an old sheet, maybe?

I just crunched the numbers from the vs. X thread, which had war time adjustments included.

- That's good that you recognize Lindsay's ability doesn't match his score. But how much do we really drop him by? I recall Sturm's point that when the Bruins were breaking the system in the 70s, the best thing to do for the Cashmans and Hodges is to compare them to the high scoring players they benefitted from. The same thing should apply to lindsay and Howe. His career VsX scores would be as follows, if we use Howe as his benchmark in seasons where he played on the same line yet lagged behind offensively:

1945-37
1946-33
1947-67
1948-87
1949-100
1950-113
1951-68
1952-80
1953-75
1954-77
1955-51
1956-70
1957-96
1958-55
1959-77
1960-33
1965-34

using the best 7, he would be at exactly 90.0. I realize that's probably a little lower than you'd like to see him, but I don't see why he'd be handled any differently from Cashman and Hodge. He's obviously far better than either of them, but his numbers benefited in a way similar to theirs when his generational linemate peaked.

In my head, I actually gave him a downgrade of 10 points, putting him at about 95. I think 90 is too harsh.

second, are you sure that Lindsay is "easily" the strongest physical player? Keith Tkachuk was devastatingly powerful himself. He wasn't just some Shanahan who coasted off his early reputation. He banged and crashed and fought for over a decade, was incredibly strong and had the speed to really hurt people physically. Ted Lindsay is an all-time legend, but it's not because he was on another plane physically, it's because he was extremely physical while being a star offensive player. I'm not trying to put Tkachuk on Lindsay's level as an overall player, but I see no reason to believe Lindsay will be far more effective in that area, either. Even adjusted, his size (5'11", 193 lbs) is not fear-inspiring.

Yes, I am absolutely sure Ted Lindsay is easily the most physically dominant player on either line.

lastly, that's nice of you to claim that Regina gets a defensive edge because of center, but I believe you kind of implied that the overall ability on the lines might be similar. I just checked through the Lindsay and Foyston bios, and is it really appropriate to say they are good defensively in an ATD setting?

There was a lot said of Lindsay's defensive game. The read I got on him was that he was near-elite in every aspect of the game. Fosyton, less so, though he was a well-rounded guy, wasn't he?

I think Regina takes this by virtue of being even in talent and physicality, ahead in puckwinning ability (Tkachuk/Gilmour>Lindsay/Foyston) and definitely ahead defensively. It's a line that has everything. Orillia's line is well constructed, too, but lacks some size (all these forwards adjust to 187-198 lbs except the 235 lb Tkachuk), an excellent defensive presence and a true gamebreaking talent (Lafleur).

Obviously, I have to disagree. These lines are definitely close though. I really like them both.

Offensively, the numbers are clear, aren't they? Even if you treat Lindsay as harshly as you did, it's still a small edge for Orillia. Maybe more importantly, Regina's line relies more heavily on one player to carry the line, which makes it a bit easier to shut down.

Actually, Orillia is perfectly build to put a stop to Lafleur. Obviously, the Craig Ramsay match up is pretty sweet, but he also has to go against the left side of my defense, which is Larry Robinson, Duncan Keith, and Mike Ramsey

It's worth noting that in a playoff setting, Doug Gilmour is a couple of tiers above where one might normally rank him, and Lafleur, the MVP of a dynasty, managed to exceed his high expectations in the playoffs as well. Tkachuk is minus in the playoffs, definitely, but overall, this should be a line that's even better in the playoffs. Is Orillia's line much better in the playoffs?

Frank Foyston was a damn good play-off performer. Lindsay and Cowley pretty much stay the same. Lafleur was about the same in the play-offs as he was I the regular season too.

Balderis an 80? Well that's lower than I'd have him (my soviet system puts him at 86) but I would expect that from a competitive opponent. Again, with those 6 points, we'd be right in the margin of error for total offensive skill, if we're not already.

So, you're suggesting that Balderis and Ted Lindsey are essentially offensive equals? 86 v. 90. Sorry, I don't buy it. Not even close actually.

- Again, Regina has the one real gamebreaking talent (by 2nd line standards) on this line (Malkin)

Malkin is slightly better than Recchi (90.7 vs. 88.3), and that's ignoring longevity and teammates.

- Regina again has the best defensive player on either line by a wide margin (Lewis)

Yeah, Lewis is probably the best defensive player on either line, but let's not exaggerate what he is. He's a good back-checker, not a defensive ace.

- Regina has the only player with an exceptional playoff record (Malkin)

I don't see what makes Malkin's play-off performances particularly great. Yeah, he scored a lot, but no more than he did in the regular season.

Lewis and Recchi are about even physically - nothing intimidating, but hard working, never quit guys who will compete hard. Balderis and Patrick cancel out as non-factors. And yes, Sittler will have a little more fight in him than Malkin, but how much, really? I'm not seeing this as a real physical mismatch, are you?

Sittler was a really hard worker and a willing fighter, but no, he wasn't a big physical presence.

In conclusion, in the team's respective top-6 forwards I have big concerns about the overall defensive ability of Orillia compared to Regina (something Regina managed to do without sacrificing too much offensive skill), the gamebreaking talent of Lafleur and Malkin being too much for these lines to handle in power-on-power situations, and their ability to match their clutch heroics.

I left the top defensive players for my 3rd line. Though, I'm still not seeing the defensive miss-match you are.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Well, with these two teams being so close, I think match-ups will play an important role. Which team has the best chance to shut down the opposing top players?

As said before, Orillia is perfectly built to shut down Guy Lalfeur. If we succeed in that, I think the series should go in our favour. With Craig Ramsey, Orillia has arguably the best defensive forward of all time - certainly among the best wingers. Jack Walker is another one of the top defensive forwards of all time, and could easily be used as a secondary match-up when we don't have last change. Perhaps more importantly, Larry Robinson will see a lot of ice against Lafleur. As one of the best shut-down guys I the draft, he has a good chance to keep Lafleur in check.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think you would agree that Roy is in the top tier of goalies. He is at best #1 and at worst #3. Though, I think it would be pretty hard to make an argument that he is clearly any place within that tier.

I would say he's clearly "not 3rd". My days of putting Plante with Roy and Hasek ended probably 2-3 years ago.

However, in the playoffs he's a clear #1 and I'm not aware of a case in which it would be particularly close.

Would you disagree that Brodeur is in the next teir with Sawchuk and Hall? That's where I see him. Much like the top tier, this one is pretty murky as well - I can see an argument for any of the three to land any place within this tier.

Assuming Plante is his own tier, yes.

How much of an advantage do you think you have? When I say moderate, I mean an advantage that is undeniable, but not a wide margin.

:laugh: I see the word "wide" as so subjective! We could perfectly agree on the quantitative difference but disagree on what word to describe it. For the record, I'd say Roy over Brodeur is wide, and any post I've ever made comparing the two will confirm that is indeed my stance :thumbu:

anyway, what I'm trying to say is it's semantics. I think Roy is significantly better, in a "Gretzky vs. Morenz" kind of way, but ultimately it's up to the voters how significant it really is.

Guys like Savard and Johnson were good puck-movers in the NHL, but this is a whole different level. They certainly don't stack up with Tremblay and Keith.

I agree that not everyone here is above average at everything. They can't be.

Maybe this will help. I know that puck movement and offensive production are not the exact same thing, but they are at least linked. There are very few point producers who weren't good at moving the puck, and though there are guys who moved it well without scoring points, they're not that common. The 7 year VsXD score for our guys are as follows:

Pratt: 710
Seibert: 620
Vadnais: 587 (or 610 if it's correct that he only scored 6 points as a forward in 1969 as the evidence suggests; currently this season is omitted)
Hall: 580 (details described earlier in the draft thread)
Johnson: 472
Savard: 466

Tremblay: 701 (includes WHA)
Robinson: 644
Keith: 614 (includes this season's 95 score, 4th place shattenkirk is the benchmark, the top 3 are clear outliers)
Larson: 611
Harper: 294
Ramsey: 286

Pratt and Seibert stand up well to Tremblay and Robinson, both statistically and in the accounts of their play. Vadnais and Hall are very good mid-level ATD puck movers but Keith and Larson probably have them by a small margin. It's actually Johnson and Savard, the supposed weak links, that show up as the strengths here. Star ATD puckmovers they are not, but my that measure I don't see what would make them more exploitable than Harper or Ramsey.

In addition to a defenseman's general efficiency in moving the puck, their size contributes a lot to their durability in standing up to the forecheck over the course of a series. Duncan Keith and J.C. Tremblay, for example, have been pretty unflappable in real life against NHL/WHA level competition, but in an ATD environment they're a bit shrimpy and stand out as guys who the likes of Tocchet, Hunter, Nolan and Tkachuk can really wear down. Here are the adjusted sizes of our blueliners:

Pratt: 6'6", 242
Savard: 6'5", 230
Seibert: 6'5", 228
Hall: 6'3", 215
Johnson: 6'3", 210
Vadnais: 6'3", 205

Robinson: 6'5", 235
Ramsey: 6'4", 205
Harper: 6'3", 220
Larson: 6'1", 205
Keith: 6'1", 192
Tremblay: 6'1", 190

Regina's blueliners have an average of 1.7" and 14 pounds on Orillia's guys. In addition, let's look at who the four biggest forechecking threats are on each team:

Tkachuk
Tocchet
Nolan
Hunter

Lindsay
Mackell
Ramsay
Walker

I'm just guessing on the last two for Orillia. Because Lindsay and Mackell are the only two Orillia wingers with a real appreciable physical game that can cause trouble. Ramsay and Walker would be the next most effective due to their smarts, but the ones who really have a shot at forcing turnovers through intimidation are Lindsay and Mackell. The problem is, Regina has four guys like that and they are going up against a much smaller defense corps with a lower overall puck moving ability. What was originally brought up as an area of concern for Regina is something I think Orillia actually needs to worry about more.

In my head, I actually gave him a downgrade of 10 points, putting him at about 95. I think 90 is too harsh.

It might be or it might not. But I think logically it makes sense to use one's outlier teammate as the benchmark. I can't think of anything better, personally.

There was a lot said of Lindsay's defensive game. The read I got on him was that he was near-elite in every aspect of the game. Fosyton, less so, though he was a well-rounded guy, wasn't he?

You find this stuff and then don't put it in bios? Sounds very unlike you.

As for Foyston, the general impression seems to be he was not deficient. Put it this way, we question his all-around mettle a lot less than we do Bernie Morris. I think the biggest reason is because he was awarded that trophy once as the best "all-round" player in the league. But I don' actually know if we have much else on him.

Offensively, the numbers are clear, aren't they? Even if you treat Lindsay as harshly as you did, it's still a small edge for Orillia.

Let's be careful not to treat VsX as anything more than it is - a useful shorthand. Let's say that 10 is actually the correct amount to knock down Lindsay - that puts the total prime offensive production of the two lines within 2% of eachother. There's a point where you just have to call something within the margin of error.

It's great that you put three pretty good VsX scores together. But if the two lines are close enough talent-wise, I think it's important to note that one has the ingredients to be more useful in more situations - it has the defense, it has the size, it has the clutch gamebreaker.

Maybe more importantly, Regina's line relies more heavily on one player to carry the line, which makes it a bit easier to shut down.

I don't know if that is more important, actually. Is that really how it works in real life? I think you want that game breaker on your line because he's the one who will actually make something happen in the crucial minutes when everything tightens up and the best defensive players are determined to stop you.

Frank Foyston was a damn good play-off performer. Lindsay and Cowley pretty much stay the same. Lafleur was about the same in the play-offs as he was I the regular season too.

Foyston was very good. He made my top-60 list in the project. He was always there, often went deep and scored as expected, if not better. I don't mean to downplay him. But he's not Gilmour and he's not Lafleur. Lafleur was "about the same" in the playoffs? I'm not sure what to say to that. Lafleur was so good in the regular season that his numbers approached "impossible to duplicate in the playoffs" levels - like we all know Lemieux, Gretzky, Jagr and Crosby did. The fact that he led the playoffs in points three times and the cartoonish margins he outscored his teammates over four years should tell you all you need to know about his playoff ability. He didn't just "meet expectations".

So, you're suggesting that Balderis and Ted Lindsey are essentially offensive equals? 86 v. 90. Sorry, I don't buy it. Not even close actually.

Well I'm open to the possibility that those numbers can be inaccurate, after all, it's all subjective. However, there is quite the difference between 86 and 90, is there not? Don't forget that Lindsay ranks as high as he does as an all-time player not only on the basis of offensive talent, and also note that Balderis' record of sustained regular season production remains highly underrated.

Malkin is slightly better than Recchi (90.7 vs. 88.3), and that's ignoring longevity and teammates.

You know what the above statement really ignores? games played. Malkin is quite the injury case and I freely admit he will miss one game in this series with some sort of ailment. But he'll be replaced by Bernie Nicholls (VsX 77.4 after Gretzky adjustment), not a Malkin-sized pocket of air. His VsX may say 90.7 but that doesn't mean that in the other 5-6 games he will merely play at a 90.7 level. In his best 7 seasons he played at a level that would have earned him a VsX score of 102.7 (yes, significantly ahead of Orillia 1st line center Bill Cowley) and that is what you can expect from Malkin when he plays. Recchi, of course, never missed games in his prime. And good for him, he's a hell of a guy and I love him to bits, but no one seriously thinks he's a Malkin-level talent, or close to it.

Yeah, Lewis is probably the best defensive player on either line, but let's not exaggerate what he is. He's a good back-checker, not a defensive ace.

You sure? Lewis scored at a level that would have made him an ATD 2nd line caliber player even if he was one-dimensional; yet, he was more known for his defense than his offense.

I don't see what makes Malkin's play-off performances particularly great. Yeah, he scored a lot, but no more than he did in the regular season.

Not every single one of his performances has been great. But he has a Smythe trophy (I'm on record saying he didn't deserve it but the dude was 2nd at worst and scored an incredible 36 points) and already has one of the highest playoff VsX scores of all-time, a symptom of consistently being an important player to a team that goes deep in the playoffs.

I left the top defensive players for my 3rd line. Though, I'm still not seeing the defensive miss-match you are.

The two best defensive players out of our 12 top-6 forwards are Gilmour and Lewis, with the lesser of the two, Lewis, being 1-2 tiers ahead of anyone else. I'd say the defensive mismatch is clear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad