Robin Lehner - Just how good will he be?

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Going to be a very good starter if he lives up to his potential. Got a great makeup about him--> works extremely hard, great attitude, huge size, very good technique. Needs to work on consistency and concentration (lets in some very weak goals from time to time) and rebound control. He was got a very bright future though, there is no one else to challenge him in the Sens system except for the main goalies. He will be in Bingo next year, and if he continues his development, I could see him as a back-up in 2011-12.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
We managed to nab an exclusive interview with him on GMHockey.com

http://www.gmhockey.com/ottawa-centaurs-f31/robin-lehner-interview-t4178.htm

His head is in the right place, his father trained Lundqvist and continues to pour over game tape for Robin so that he never for one moment remains stagnant. His main issues right now are pretty similar to most young goalies - rebound control. His mental makeup is second to none though for a young man and his reflexes are off the chart.

I would say he'll spend next year in the AHL splitting the games, then the year after he'll hopefully take the reigns in the A and start most of the games. In the third year I think the hope would be that he comes to Ottawa to backup Elliott forming a young and talented duo.

His size, his lateral speed, his mental makeup - the skies the limit for Robin Lehner. He's gonna be really, really good IMO.

SlapStick53

Apr 10, 2010
Kitchener, ON
cloutsnchara.com
When I was at the rookie camp in Kitchener, the first thing that struck me about Lehner is how much he looked and moved like Lundy in the net. His fundamentals look excellent but at times he looked a little scrambled. That being said, he looks to have all the tools to become the #1 guy in Ottawa one day.

Nager

Oct 5, 2008
Tank Nation
When I was at the rookie camp in Kitchener, the first thing that struck me about Lehner is how much he looked and moved like Lundy in the net. His fundamentals look excellent but at times he looked a little scrambled. That being said, he looks to have all the tools to become the #1 guy in Ottawa one day.

His dad was Lundqvists coach.

wwvdw

Dec 22, 2009
Sweden
Anders Nilsson is better.

Nilsson hasn't made the same steps in his development as Lehner. If I had to pick right now I'd go for Lehner. Nilsson had a bit of a slump after the WJC's this year and hasn't done anything more then he did last year. Combine that with the fact that Lehner is 18 and Nilsson is 20 and the choice is very easy.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
very untrue nilsson is a struggling SEL goalie playing on a pretty good team, yes lehner is playing in the CHL but he has more potential than nilsson.

lehner also played for one of the worst teams in the CHL whom gave up 40 or more shots most nights. Lehner stood on his head most nights and still put up respectable numbers including a number of shutouts...

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
I think it's safe our goalie situation is looking good no matter what. Markström, Lehner, Lindbäck, Pettersson-Wentzel, Eriksson etc all have NHL potential imo.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
its really hard to tell at this point. One problem is that Lehner is a lot more technically polished than his peers. Once his peers start to learn more from pro goalie coaches, we might see Lehner's skills as being weaker. As with most goalies, this is a 'wait and see' situation.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Soo's record with Lehner: 27-13-3
Soo's record without Lehner: 9-14-2

Shows how important he was to the Greyhounds, can't wait to see how he does in the AHL next year.

TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Soo's record with Lehner: 27-13-3
Soo's record without Lehner: 9-14-2

Shows how important he was to the Greyhounds, can't wait to see how he does in the AHL next year.

Their other goaltender is Bryce O'Hagan, who is no slouch. Although he was not drafted last year, he was one of Team Canada's goaltenders at U18 last season, and hence one of the better goalies of his age in Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad