News Article: Roberto Luongo interviews Zach Fucale

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Oh - is that what this 45+ year thing I've had with the Habs is. :shakehead

Because you can easily vacillate, doesn't make term loyalty 'silly'. Rethink your word 'silly'. It's insulting.

Isn't it pretty silly, though? I mean... you're loyal to what, exactly? Some colours? A brand? Ultimately, a business, right? It's like being loyal to Starbucks for their coffee, only the coffee probably has more of an impact on your daily productivity, and it's less of an emotional deal, and less of a consumption of your time. Or loyal to Louis Vuitton bags. That's nice. I'm sure LVMH appreciates it, though they don't know your name and other than sales, you're pretty irrelevant to them.

I do think the concept of loyalty when applied to this sort of thing is silly. As though loyalty to a fanbase is somehow equated to loyalty as a friend, family member, business partner, etc.; in other words, some core element of your life.

But that's really neither here nor there on a hockey fanatic's forum.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
FWIW I went Habs to Avs and back to Habs. When Roy got traded and forsberg, sakic, etc... It caught my attention for a bit as a kid.

Yeah, those were pretty incredible Colorado teams. And it was tough not to be caught up in the West at that point. To me, that was some of the greatest hockey in history.

Dallas, Colorado, Detroit, and St. Louis.

Those big 4 going at it (with St. Louis as a brutal playoff opponent but more pretender than contender)

Still. Modano v. Sakic v. Yzerman.

Nieuwendyk, Forsberg, Fedorov.

Zubov, Foote, Lidstrom, Bourque, Blake, Ozolinsh, Lemieux, Roy, Belfour, Shanahan, Konstantinov, Chelios, Robitaille, Hull, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Tanguay, Drury, Lehtinen, Derian Hatcher, Langenbrunner, Morrow, Matvichuk, Verbeek, Larionov, Lapointe, McCarty, Draper, Hasek, Hejduk, Fetisov, Larry Murphy, Coffey.

The former Hab connection in Colorado with Keane, Roy.

The former Hab connection in Dallas with Muller, Carbonneau, Skrudland. And then the management with Jarvis, Gainey.

Looking at that list of players... how many of the greatest players of the last 20 years are there? And some amazing role players. And just a whole slew of characters. Those were great clubs, and seeing them clash every single year in the West was phenomenal.

Hard not to pick sides there. I was admittedly pulling for the Avs, too. I've since migrated over to being a fan of the Wings, since the Avs undid a lot of their success through stupid moves, while the Wings kept coming with smart management and adapted better to the times.

I was thinking last night, I'd love to see the Caps well managed. Getting Ovechkin, Backstrom up to their potential. Johansson too -- I think he's more than a speedy 40-45 pt guy. Mike Green. Then their new talent, Burakowsky and Kuznetsov. Carlson, Alzner on D. Really support that core and build it properly. Then the East could actually develop a great long-term Washington/Pittsburgh clash -- something I was hoping for years ago when Montreal helped derail that Capitals train.

In the West, I'm hoping Chicago, LA and Dallas create a 'big 3' format similar to how Colorado, Detroit and Dallas did in the past. Dallas has a ways to go, but the management's there to do it. And they have some fun characters (Roussel, Benn, Garbutt, Eakin, Dillon) to get things going. Anaheim's another candidate.

Surge101

Apr 28, 2014
South Florida
Well it's always been the Sharks, but I grew to become a fan of the Habs because I liked the team. When I cheered for the Canucks, I barely knew hockey and it was a bandwagon thing.

And so what? I appreciate the game and won't hold a silly allegiance to one team and one team only. I like a lot of teams, but have a well defined set of 5 teams split into 3 tiers.

Five teams? That's a lot.

Sometimes I feel weird because I like two teams, NHL is the only professional sports league where I have two teams (Habs and Panthers) that I STRONGLY like and support, although, Montreal is my clear cut favorite, when the two play each other I forget I even like the Panthers.

I'm born and raised in Florida, but I got into hockey watching a few Habs games. Once I really started liking hockey, I started going to Panthers games, as that is my local team. Whenever they played Montreal though, I couldn't root against the Habs. Nothing I could control. That's when I realized, i'm a Habs fan.

So yeah, I strongly support the Panthers, but the Habs are my team and it isn't even close. I don't even want to call the Panthers my "second favorite" because saying that makes it sound closer than it is.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Five teams? That's a lot.

Sometimes I feel weird because I like two teams, NHL is the only professional sports league where I have two teams (Habs and Panthers) that I STRONGLY like and support, although, Montreal is my clear cut favorite, when the two play each other I forget I even like the Panthers.

I'm born and raised in Florida, but I got into hockey watching a few Habs games. Once I really started liking hockey, I started going to Panthers games, as that is my local team. Whenever they played Montreal though, I couldn't root against the Habs. Nothing I could control. That's when I realized, i'm a Habs fan.

So yeah, I strongly support the Panthers, but the Habs are my team and it isn't even close. I don't even want to call the Panthers my "second favorite" because saying that makes it sound closer than it is.
I only actively follow and support two teams. I really like, and root for the Islanders and BJs. The Lightning just have a lot of players I like on their team.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Don't know if Fucale good goalie or result of playing for good team last 3 years?
I've seen him play a lot down here. The answer is "Both". He did struggle big-time in the Q semi-final series against Val D'Or last season, and he freely admits as much. He sometimes does give up a softie, but so did Carey in his younger days. He also comes through with more than his share of clutch saves; the Mooseheads wouldn't have won that Memorial Cup final vs Portland in 2013 without them.

I think his potential isn't a top-10 NHL goalie but he can probably make it as a starter, provided he doesn't hit any major bumps along the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad