News Article: Roberto Luongo interviews Zach Fucale

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Roberto Luongo and Zach Fucale were born 16 years apart, but they do have several things in common: they’re both Quebec-born goalies and Quebec League stars born to Italian families, and they’ve each represented their country in high-stakes international competitions.

Fucale, 19, has yet to play an NHL game after his hometown Canadiens drafted him 36th overall in 2013, but he attended Canadiens camp this year and had just returned to his Halifax Mooseheads team to start the season. That’s where special guest editor-in-chief Luongo caught up with him for an exclusive, insightful talk, under the supervision of yours truly, that was more conversation than straight-ahead question-and-answer.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/roberto-luongo-interviews-zach-fucale-and-its-awesome/

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Luongo is a hard guy to dislike. It's a shame I stopped being a Canucks fan at the same time as he arrived on the Canucks. About 6 months to 1 year later I became a Habs fan, and have no regrets. :)

Went from:

Sharks to Canucks to Sharks/Habs

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
Luongo is a hard guy to dislike. It's a shame I stopped being a Canucks fan at the same time as he arrived on the Canucks. About 6 months to 1 year later I became a Habs fan, and have no regrets. :)

Went from:

I respect that you have changed allegiance, but i just can't understand how someone can do that. I mean, i just couldn't change like that,... it's in me and it will never change no matter how much i try.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal

Went from:

What?

You can change jobs, women, cars, whatever. But you never change the team you cheer for.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street

Went from:

chloe.gif

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
What?

You can change jobs, women, cars, whatever. But you never change the team you cheer for.

I also did that, but my situation was different I guess.

I grew up in Russia being a Devils fan during early to mid 90's, probably because that was the team they showed most often on TV over there (and there weren't more than 1-2 games I could catch on TV per week).

Once I moved to Montreal I tried to stay faithful and cheer for the Devils, but 3-5 years later I found myself caring much more about the team of the city I lived in. So I switched teams.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I also did that, but my situation was different I guess.

I grew up in Russia being a Devils fan during early to mid 90's, probably because that was the team they showed most often on TV over there (and there weren't more than 1-2 games I could catch on TV per week).

Once I moved to Montreal I tried to stay faithful and cheer for the Devils, but 3-5 years later I found myself caring much more about the team of the city I lived on. So I switched teams.

That's not so bad, tbh

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
I totally forgot Fucale is from Montreal.

ZF: I grew up in Montreal, so it was hard to like any other team than the Canadiens. I went to the Bell Centre a lot to watch games.

RL: How did it feel when they drafted you? Exciting I bet.

ZF: Oh yeah. I don’t know if you saw my dad’s reaction at the draft, but it’s pretty funny. It was a big, big shock to everyone in the family – and to me, too. It was a dream come true, really.

RL: we’re both from Montreal, we’re both Italian, we both played for Canada. Is there anything else we have in common?

ZF: We also both played in the “Q”. But being Italian, there’s nothing else to say…(Laughs)

RL: I know! That’s all that matters. (Laughs)

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I respect that you have changed allegiance, but i just can't understand how someone can do that. I mean, i just couldn't change like that,... it's in me and it will never change no matter how much i try.

Both of them are, but yeah, I've never felt like Luongo deserved much of the crap that has been thrown his way over the years.

What?

Well it's always been the Sharks, but I grew to become a fan of the Habs because I liked the team. When I cheered for the Canucks, I barely knew hockey and it was a bandwagon thing.

And so what? I appreciate the game and won't hold a silly allegiance to one team and one team only. I like a lot of teams, but have a well defined set of 5 teams split into 3 tiers.

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
Well it's always been the Sharks, but I grew to become a fan of the Habs because I liked the team. When I cheered for the Canucks, I barely knew hockey and it was a bandwagon thing.

And so what? I appreciate the game and won't hold a silly allegiance to one team and one team only. I like a lot of teams, but have a well defined set of 5 teams split into 3 tiers.

Reaction-pic---Crying-meme.jpg

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Don't know if Fucale good goalie or result of playing for good team last 3 years? Waite will benefit him though once he gets to Montreal. Look at improvement in Price or Tobarski

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
:laugh:

I'm still a diehard Habs fan. The only thing I'll blindly side with no matter what is my family, and my country.

As it should be, I was lucky enough to live in Montreal in the 50's early 60's, so there is only one team in the NHL (The Habs) but always Team Canada in IIHF events.:nod: Of course if the Habs are out of the playoffs then I cheer for Vancouver or whichever Canadian team is still in the playoffs.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
As it should be, I was lucky enough to live in Montreal in the 50's early 60's, so there is only one team in the NHL (The Habs) but always Team Canada in IIHF events.:nod:

And of course still loyal to Victoria as well. ;) I miss hiking Mt. Finlayson and Mt. Work. :(

Davebo*

Oh - is that what this 45+ year thing I've had with the Habs is. :shakehead

Because you can easily vacillate, doesn't make term loyalty 'silly'. Rethink your word 'silly'. It's insulting.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Oh - is that what this 45+ year thing I've had with the Habs is. :shakehead

Because you can easily vacillate, doesn't make term loyalty 'silly'. Rethink your word 'silly'. It's insulting.

I'd have thought that after 45+ years you'd have learned not to take quotes out of context. If you want to talk about insulting, twisting my words is just that.

It's silly to hold a pointless allegiance to one team, and one team only because I appreciate the game, and don't just pick arbitrarily pick a team and support it for the sake of supporting it. Get over yourself. Not everyone is like you. And where did I associate loyalty with a silly allegiance? You're mixing things up. I said that "I won't hold a silly allegiance..." I'd assert that I'm a more involved Habs fan (without knowing you personally) than you and at least as much of a fan of the team. Do my quotes make me less of a Habs fan? No, not at all.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
FWIW I went Habs to Avs and back to Habs. When Roy got traded and forsberg, sakic, etc... It caught my attention for a bit as a kid.

Davebo*

I'd have thought that after 45+ years you'd have learned not to take quotes out of context. If you want to talk about insulting, twisting my words is just that.

It's silly to hold a pointless allegiance to one team, and one team only because I appreciate the game, and don't just pick arbitrarily pick a team and support it for the sake of supporting it. Get over yourself. Not everyone is like you. And where did I associate loyalty with a silly allegiance? You're mixing things up. I said that "I won't hold a silly allegiance..." I'd assert that I'm a more involved Habs fan (without knowing you personally) than you and at least as much of a fan of the team. Do my quotes make me less of a Habs fan? No, not at all.

I have all the context I need - thanks. You think it's silly to hold allegiance to one team. I don't, and find it (mildly) insulting that you choose to label that level of allegiance as 'silly'.

If you're not comfortably touting your 'fan style', then you should probably downplay it. But don't put down hardcore fans just because you can't roll that way.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I have all the context I need - thanks. You think it's silly to hold allegiance to one team. I don't, and find it (mildly) insulting that you choose to label that level of allegiance as 'silly'.

If you're not comfortably touting your 'fan style', then you should probably downplay it. But don't put down hardcore fans just because you can't roll that way.

No, you obviously don't have the context right, as you're missing half my point. I said that I think it's silly for ME to arbitrarily pick a team and support it, rather than appreciate the game for what it is and pick a team based on how I feel about the organization, history, team, playstyle, etc. I don't know why you keep misunderstanding, as I've laid it out pretty clear. Loyalty is only one factor in deciding what team I like, but apparently loyalty is the most important to you, and that's fine. I couldn't care less.

How am I putting down hardcore fans when I say that I'm a hardcore fan? :laugh:

The funny thing is, my main point has also sailed over your head, because you've selected a portion of a sentence of mine. I said "one team, and one team only," which implies that I'm a hardcore fan of multiple teams, and support others. An example of what you're doing:

Person 1: "I'm not a loser."

Person 2: "'I'm not a loser.' That's all the context I need."

Last edited:

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
I totally forgot Fucale is from Montreal.

ZF: I grew up in Montreal, so it was hard to like any other team than the Canadiens. I went to the Bell Centre a lot to watch games.

RL: How did it feel when they drafted you? Exciting I bet.

ZF: Oh yeah. I don’t know if you saw my dad’s reaction at the draft, but it’s pretty funny. It was a big, big shock to everyone in the family – and to me, too. It was a dream come true, really.

RL: we’re both from Montreal, we’re both Italian, we both played for Canada. Is there anything else we have in common?

ZF: We also both played in the “Qâ€. But being Italian, there’s nothing else to say…(Laughs)

RL: I know! That’s all that matters. (Laughs)

He's actually from Rosemère no ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad