Proposal: Robert Thomas to Detroit

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
The value itself I can see for the player Thomas is but he's on a long-term sweetheart deal so it would still get rejected and understandably so.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
not sure why that means it needs to be closed lol its just a discussion

You'll notice a pattern with him. He comes into the thread being needlessly antagonistic and homerific whilst showing insecurity and then demands it be shut down because he's already corrected us poor plebs and our limited understanding so no further need for discussion. For the life of me I can't understand his purpose, but I don't understand why my dog likes to eat cat shit either which goes to show some things are best left a mystery.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
You'll notice a pattern with him. He comes into the thread being needlessly antagonistic and homerific whilst showing insecurity and then demands it be shut down because he's already corrected us poor plebs and our limited understanding so no further need for discussion. For the life of me I can't understand his purpose, but I don't understand why my dog likes to eat cat shit either which goes to show some things are best left a mystery.
He replied to his own comment earlier lmao guess his username checks out 😂😂 god I hate this site cause of ppl like that guy

Reactions: Macheteops

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
(A) it would be Thomas plus, not just Thomas, and (B) I'm not saying Detroit loves the idea. I'm just saying that's what it would take to get the Blues to agree to give Thomas away to another team.
You never said Thomas plus.. so it’s hard to see why I would think you meant that.

Larkin is the essentially the same as Thomas why do they also add a top 6 pick who’s projected to be a top 2 D man? Makes them worse.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Robert Thomas is not available and there is absolutely nothing really a team can realistically offer that would make the Blues trade him. He is 24 year old two way center who plays some of the hardest minutes a center can play while being a positive player AND being over a point per game.

Why would a team who is currently stuck in the middle of the league trade the player who the entire forward core's offense and defence runs through when there is absolutely no center depth behind him?

Trading him will be a absolutely terrible idea if the Blues are stuck in their retool ideas. And even if they decided to do a rebuild, Thomas should be the very very last player to make available.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Thomas is to St. Louis what Larkin is to Detroit. Imagine someone coming and asking for Larkin 4 years ago for pieces. Yes the pieces have value but the idea of trading Larkin away means the team is for sure stuck being unwatchable levels of bad(St. Louis isn't nearly as thin behind Thomas currently as Detroit used to be behind Larkin though) and the team's trajectory changes dramatically. It would have to be a scenario where Thomas is asking out and the front office's hand is being forced.

I guess Blues fans are lucky you weren't calling Thomas a 2C like we used to always hear about Larkin? But yeah don't expect to hear any response other than "no and you're not close" because what motivation does St Louis have to trade their franchise player for pieces?

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Hey Mike,

Are you a blues fan? While I am by no means a blues fan(red wings fan), no way in heck a 31 year old Parayko and a 31 year old Binnington are a part of the future my guy.
Um 31 binnington and 30 year old parayko are great players.
(A) it would be Thomas plus, not just Thomas, and (B) I'm not saying Detroit loves the idea. I'm just saying that's what it would take to get the Blues to agree to give Thomas away to another team.
So trade a better youngee 1c for an older c lol not gonna happe

Wouldn’t really call a 1st, an 8 OA C, and 2 solid D prospects insulting but thanks for adding value to the discussion !

In what world does Thomas get Larkin and Edvinsson? Blues fans are delusional lmao
In the world of 1c better than larkin tied up for 8 years at 8.5 mil 80 point play making center in his prime lol close this thread npw

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
There is no discussion. Robert thomas is a 24yo top 10 center in thw league. Wh9 is under contract for 8 years 8.5 mil.

But here how about sieder evdison for kyrou 1st 2024 buchnevich.
This is a discussion forum. If you don't like the topic, you are free to ignore it, but until/unless this thread goes off the rails or becomes so outlandish that it's considered trolling, this can stay open.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Would need to add Edvidsson

Edivdsson
15OA
Kasper

That is value of a Thomas

Still i think the blues just try to draft their own Edvidsson next 2 years rather than deal thomas and need to find another thomas again

Thomas is a top 10ish C. He is an elite player on a great long term deal

With Kasper, 15Oa, Edvidsson there is still risk factor that they dont translate as expected and if they do what contracts do they want?

Buchnevich for 15OA makes more sense for both teams. Wings can look to extemd buchnevich over this year and hes a 65-80 pt player replacing Kanes offense while being a good defensive winger

Last edited:

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
If Thomas was 29-30 on the last few years of a contract, he would be a good trade target for Detroit.

As it is, two teams that are still rebuilding, albeit at different phases, shouldn't be trading young/future pieces.

Detroit also has to see what they have in Kasper/Danielson before rushing to acquire another C.

A trade for Thomas would require one of Seider, Edvinsson, or ASP in addition to their first, plus other assets. Detroit shouldn't be trading any of those guys. Yet.

As said above, a better trade scenario would be Detroit/STL trying to work something out around 15OA for Buchnevich.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
It's a nice offer, really, a number of interesting pieces.

However, this trades our most valuable asset, without fundamentally fix the one problem we have, which is high end D of the future. There are potentially 3 young Ds in this package, but none of them (including any player still available at 15), would have much potential to be a top pairing D.

It's just not a trade that we would logically consider. The only thing we talked about in another thread, can potentially make moving Thomas worth it (not say that I would, but just that it would be reasonable to consider), is something like #5 + Reinbacher from Montreal. Detroit just doesn't have the pieces to make the overall package appealing to the Blues.

More importantly, NONE are even in Detriot's top 2 defensive prospects in their system.... It is a collection of extra pieces for our top player.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Wouldn’t really call a 1st, an 8 OA C, and 2 solid D prospects insulting but thanks for adding value to the discussion !
Kasper + a mid 1st + B prospect is an insulting offer for a top 10 league wide franchise cornerstone 1C signed long term thru his prime at a steal of a contract. Just because the rest of the league hasn’t woken up to how good Thomas is doesn’t mean Blues fans don’t know his worth.

You asked for one of the most valuable assets in the league and offered what amounts to scraps. There is no valuable discussion to be had here. You are completely out to lunch in your valuation of Robert Thomas.

In what world does Thomas get Larkin and Edvinsson? Blues fans are delusional lmao
You’re not quoting a Blues fan, but they are correct. Robert Thomas is a younger, better player signed to a better contract. There would have to be a significant plus added to Larkin to get the Blues to even consider it.

Last edited:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Listen, I know this player is an absolute stud and the blues will NOT want to trade a 24 year old 1C unless there's a huge overpay... but lets say wings are willing to overpay

What would it take?

DET offers
2024 1st (15OA)
Marco Kasper (C) (former 8 overall pick)
William Wallinder (LHD)
Andrew Gibson (RHD)

Would this be ball park? or do blues want more? I know they wont trade him but just curious cause Larkin, Thomas, Danielson would be a sick 1-2-3 C core
Buffalo should top this if that is all it takes

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
St. Louis should not get rid of Thomas.

But um....he's not even remotely close to a top ten C in the league.

In no particular order:

Hughes
McDrai
Matthews
Crosby
MacKinnon
Point
Barkov
JT Miller
Aho
Pettersson
Reinhart

Reinhart isn’t a center.

I wouldn’t quite have him top 10 but he’s certainly in that 10-12 range discussion with mobility to get even better. Ridiculous vision and puck skills, great two-game and does an extreme amount of heavy lifting for the Blues offense.

He’s definitely very close to the top 10 range. Franchise center. Makes everybody around him better with his playmaking. Two-way player. 24 years-old. Locked into a beautiful long-term deal for his entire prime.

He has insane value.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
St. Louis should not get rid of Thomas.

But um....he's not even remotely close to a top ten C in the league.

In no particular order:

Hughes
McDrai
Matthews
Crosby
MacKinnon
Point
Barkov
JT Miller
Aho
Pettersson
Reinhart
11th in points (86) and 5th in assists (60) last season compared to all centers in the league. On a team that doesn't gave anywhere near the surrounding talent on any of those players you list while also being a positive player on the ice.

He may not be top 10, but, he's much closer to that top 10 than you want to give him credit for.

Reactions: EastVillageBlues

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad