Confirmed with Link: Robert Hagg to Florida for a Calgary's 6th Round Pick in 2022

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don't get why people slam a 6th round pick like it's useless. It's a flier on a high skill longshot in a draft. Or a throw-in for a future trade. For a month and a half of a player who isn't good and will be gone. Like, do some people think they should have just kept him at that price? Power is coming. He will need a spot. There are other bodies around.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We got what he deserves. He didn't look good and Pysyk pulled him, his charts not good, he's a depth defenseman.

Eh, his xGA is kinda league average. With Buffalo shifting away from their d-men playing zones and getting back to them dedicating people to netfront defense rather than having to support their partner in board battles, it seems to have helped with the danger of the shots being lower. There are still shots - they don't move the puck cleanly enough to have people like Bjork blowing the zone early, but here we are - and for what Florida needs, he's a 6/7 piece who can give them 16-ish minutes a night so they don't grind their non-injured d-men into dust down the stretch.

Reactions: Fjordy

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
Calgary Florida is getting a better Hagg than Buffalo got. He's better off after a helping of meatballs.

Edit: Read the tweet as him being traded to Calgary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Calgary is getting a better Hagg than Buffalo got. He's better off after a helping of meatballs.

Just in how the Sabres have shifted their approach to what they ask for the defensemen to do in their own zone, it's a marked improvement to have a guy actively seek the front of the net to defend rather than playing in soft zones or having to double the puck carrier to support his partner. We've had a lot less WTF moments just by that simple adjustment to positioning and support. It's now on the center to support the defenseman in the puck battle on the wall rather than being fully responsible to defend the front of the net. Hagg's better off when he's just sealing the wall on the rush and then moving himself to position in front of the net than trying to think about what and where he's supposed to go.

Mr Orangeshirt

Dec 12, 2008
Xville,TN
Should've asked for a nice cuban sandwich as that's way better than a 6th round pick that's virtually worthless.

Screenshot 2022-03-20 at 13-32-23 Brandon Hagel Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com.png

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
So Ristolainen becomes Isaak Rosen, a second and a sixth. Not a bad return.

Plus Kevin Adams is just making room for Power and whoever they pick up to partner him. Would’ve been nice if it’d been a 4th or 5th but no biggie.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
Just in how the Sabres have shifted their approach to what they ask for the defensemen to do in their own zone, it's a marked improvement to have a guy actively seek the front of the net to defend rather than playing in soft zones or having to double the puck carrier to support his partner. We've had a lot less WTF moments just by that simple adjustment to positioning and support. It's now on the center to support the defenseman in the puck battle on the wall rather than being fully responsible to defend the front of the net. Hagg's better off when he's just sealing the wall on the rush and then moving himself to position in front of the net than trying to think about what and where he's supposed to go.

Agreed. Something that has been missing this season has been the hand-grenade defensive "strategy" from previous campaigns. That entirely has to do with positioning, not just of the defender, but the other players as well.

Reactions: Chainshot

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I was definitely expecting a 4th in this market. Seems odd to not wait until tomorrow to pull the trigger as a team may up the ante a bit on deadline day. Not overly concerned as Zito seems to get good deals from Adams. Curious to see what Ollie, Hino, Pysyk, Miller, Eakin, Hayden, Butcher, Bjork, Anderson get. I'm not saying trade all them but if this market is as hot as it is, maybe look. I'd also be pushing the hell out of Bjork as a team may get desperate

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Should've asked for a nice cuban sandwich as that's way better than a 6th round pick that's virtually worthless.
I had a cuban sandwich once. Then got me some food a little later.

Seriously, though, why do people say something like this? Who'd get to eat that sandwich? And even if it's the most delicious sandwich in the world, what do I care if I'm not the one enjoying it?

No no, I much prefer the pick, even if it's only a 6th rounder.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I don't get why people slam a 6th round pick like it's useless. It's a flier on a high skill longshot in a draft. Or a throw-in for a future trade. For a month and a half of a player who isn't good and will be gone. Like, do some people think they should have just kept him at that price? Power is coming. He will need a spot. There are other bodies around.
Brandon Hagel says hello.

Re: Weekes, men’s room, Eakin.
“Eakin for a deuce.”

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The only way the Sabres have a chance of landing players who would otherwise become top UDFA's is drafting them in the 6-7th rounds.
If Devon Levi had gone undrafted the Sabres wouldn't be in the conversation to sign him as an UDFA.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
This is the most hilarious trade for anyone to complain about. A 5th or 6th for hagg is spot on.

He barely has positive value and this value reflects that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad