Confirmed with Link: Rob Kerr leaving broadcasting

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Kerr has said multiple times that his mentor was Peter Maher. They are extremely different, but in terms of professionalism and being prepared, Kerr is outstanding at his job. This is a very intelligent man, he says some controversial things at times but he talked about the things that really matter and shed light on other areas that deserve it such as women’s and minor hockey. I never minded Kerr as a PBP guy either because I have so much respect for that man’s craft, but I know he really struggled there. I think sometimes he comes across as a little corny but it’s because he’s so damn passionate about what he’s doing. And it’s true, he always asks the tough questions but knows how to phrase it so he’s doing it in a respectful manor.

I wish him well and I definitely know he’s going to be missed. He’s part of a dying breed in the world of media.

Reactions: Janks

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I didn't have the opportunity to listen to him much lately, was this planned or is it out of the blue?

Seemed pretty out of the blue. When he interviewed Treliving yestersday, Brad didn’t even acknowledge it was the last time they would do this. I’m sure he knew, but Rob said he decided this 2 weeks ago.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
I still remember Rob Kerr back when he was on air constantly in 2005 and Calgary traded Toni Lydman to Buffalo for a 3rd pick. I called him on air to confirm hoping we could discuss the trade as the return was poo. Kerr had the tone of, ugh another moron calling in, he was so dismissive and curt. He was soon given less hours on air as, I'm sure, the station realized how exhausted he was getting and it was affecting performance.

I've never called into the show again to this day...

EDIT: I re-read this and it sounds like I'm whining. I'm really not! I found it pretty funny that I've never called into the station again and I totally understood why Robby was dismissive and curt! He was so knowledgeable compared to anyone Calgary ever had that the station put him on air through out the day and that could only exhaust him.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I liked our flight from Dallas to Calgary, when I got to pick his brain a bit and he was a good listener.

Best of luck Mr. Kerr.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I am a little surprised since he seemed to really love what he did and talked so much about leaving his original career choice to go back and break into broadcasting, but from reading around it doesn't seem that odd for guys in more local gigs to leave as the pay is not always that great even for a "big" guy like Kerr.

I think he was great in what he did on the radio, the PBP wasn't great but I think it is a tough gig and probably a big ask for him at that point. He definitely leaves a big hole in the market that hopefully Steinberg can continue to grow into.

Best of luck to him in whatever he does next.

Tical

Jul 1, 2013

I was actually listening to this on Friday live, and made my wife sit through until the end haha, before we went into the grocery store. I was shocked, but the guy gives his heart and soul to the community so I think he deserved the respect of being heard.

Wasn't a huge fan of him as a PBP guy, but I loved his interviews, loved his sarcasm and the whole Dad schtick, and feel like he was and will continue to be a mentor for the rest of the broadcasting staff. Hopefully his professionalism and philanthropy rub off.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Best of luck to him in his future endeavours.

Wasn’t the biggest fan of him as our pbp guy, but what really made me a fan, was when the UFC first went to Calgary. I spent the whole work week listening to his interviews and talk about it. He had zero clue :laugh:, and he didn’t pretend to! Instead of acting like a smug personality and spouting bullshit, he acted like a total nooby nerd, learning and soaking it in as the week went on, I loved it.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad