News Article: Rob Blake Has New Extension to Remain as LA Kings GM

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Honestly not too concerned. I would have waited to see if Blake gets the team into a playoff spot, since that was the goal.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I guess the good thing is that the job security should allow him to not panic sell assets to sneak into the playoffs. This is his fifth season...pretty wild to hand him another four. If his contract expired this season though, it makes total sense they would bring him back to finish his "plan" or whatever. I guess, in the end, they can always fire him before the contract is up but it is probably best not to only give him two years to keep him from making "job saving" trades.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I guess the good thing is that the job security should allow him to not panic sell assets to sneak into the playoffs. This is his fifth season...pretty wild to hand him another four. If his contract expired this season though, it makes total sense they would bring him back to finish his "plan" or whatever. I guess, in the end, they can always fire him before the contract is up but it is probably best not to only give him two years to keep him from making "job saving" trades.

Yeah, that's a pretty big problem in sports that maybe doesn't get talked about enough. It's pretty easy to sell the farm and go for it when mostly it's going to be someone else's problem when the team eventually has to cross that bridge. It's been several years of cleaning up Lombardi's post-cup mess, we're really just starting to turn the corner now.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Yep, I agree with the term for exactly that reason. AEG can place him on gardening leave if they ever feel the need, they can afford it. I’d much rather a long extension than 2-3 years, even though in practice that’ll probably (hopefully) be the amount of rope he will get without the team close to contending.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Guess this means the LA Kings are low on the list of Dan Beckerman’s priorities. He probably took the last two weeks of 2021 off and Luc snuck in a few decisions while Dan was out of office. Coming back to his office at the concert theater, I’m sure he was preoccupied by the music show cancellations and impending departure of the Clippers as tenants. The lack of any kind of press conference just made it fait accompli to rubber stamp the decision. Not like the local press cares or would bother to cover the news.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Guess this means the LA Kings are low on the list of Dan Beckerman’s priorities. He probably took the last two weeks of 2021 off and Luc snuck in a few decisions while Dan was out of office. Coming back to his office at the concert theater, I’m sure he was preoccupied by the music show cancellations and impending departure of the Clippers as tenants. The lack of any kind of press conference just made it fait accompli to rubber stamp the decision. Not like the local press cares or would bother to cover the news.

No need to even have local press when attendance and ratings are terrible.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Just found out Helenius was the 3rd rounder we got in the Campbell/Cliff trade.. have to give credit to the scouts and that trade looks a little better now that Moore seems to have come out of his doldrums and Helenius developing well.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Still not a fan, but can't deny the results so far. I just don't like the type of team he's putting together which is more a personal preference. Always preferred more physical teams. Loved that he grabbed BL though. At the end of the day winning is what counts and LA is dominating some pretty good teams lately.

Reactions: Mcsorley47

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad