Movies: Road House (Gyllenhaal March 21)

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I thought someone had started a thread about this one but can't find it. They are calling it a reimagining and that is for sure suddenly making him a UFC fighter etc.

In this adrenaline-fueled reimagining of the 80s cult classic, ex-UFC fighter Dalton (Jake Gyllenhaal) takes a job as a bouncer at a Florida Keys roadhouse, only to discover that this paradise is not all it seems. Road House is open for business March 21 on @primevideo.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Should have gone with someone more masculine than Jake Gyllenhaal... like Maggie Jake Gyllenhaal.

Considering Keith David's part got cut from the original (4th billed and only like one line) they should have brought him back for this one.

• Haha
Reactions: Primary Assist

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
It will never top the original with Patrick Swayze.

This looks like one of those films I'll watch on Netflix.

In the trailer McGregor was cringeworthy. Agree with the razzie award comment!

Reactions: RR44

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'll watch it, but that trailer doesn't make me excited. For one, it's sure to not have the charm of the original with the setting change from rural Missouri to the Florida Keys.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
IMG_7703.gif

Can’t beat the original

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
View attachment 811696

Can’t beat the original
I say this as someone who has seen the original like 20 times...

It's almost campy. The plot and acting are all over the place, and it should not work as a movie, but somehow it does. This feels like it is leaning into that. I'm sure I'll have notes, but damn Roadhouse was kind of accidentally great.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

It's almost campy. The plot and acting are all over the place, and it should not work as a movie, but somehow it does. This feels like it is leaning into that. I'm sure I'll have notes, but damn Roadhouse was kind of accidentally great.
It was 1980’s great. Love it.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

Almost campy? It's definitely campy to some degree.

And it's f***ing awesome.

Reactions: RR44 and Mrfenn92

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I wouldn't call it campy because that means exaggerated for the sake of amusement, i.e. deliberately silly. It may seem silly (in the best ways) now, but I think that it was meant to be an unironically cool action movie in 1989. At least that's what it was for me back then.

Last edited:

RR44

Jan 29, 2024

Swayze really does make the movie...here's a guy that can do chick movies yet can play the badass which you can buy into. Plus his Chippendales skit w/Farley is comedic gold, the best SNL skit ever.

Oh and Kelly Lynch...damn!

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad