Confirmed with Link: RJ to come back for his 51st and final season

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
He sure will be missed. I didn't like the idea of Dunleavy coming on at first, but, he is just ok. He's no replacement for RJ, that's for certain. RJ can never be replaced. I don't like the idea of Dunleavy becoming the permanent PBP guy.

And for god sakes lets change the goal song.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I say replace a legend with a legend:
20210717_160848.jpg

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
'Last call' for Rick Jeanneret: Legendary Sabres broadcaster will call 20 games and then retire

Jeanneret’s 20-game schedule appears to have been a compromise between the announcers’ desire to do more games and the Sabres desire to give him a good send-off and also give Dan Dunleavy a larger role in his ninth season as the team’s play-by-play announcer.
“We bargained a little bit going back and forth but it didn’t take very long,” said Jeanneret in a telephone interview.
It is a win-win, with Jeanneret getting a final season to say goodbye and being celebrated in what will be billed as his “last call” and the Sabres avoiding a public relations issue if he wasn’t given a final season.

He was incredibly gifted at bringing games to life on radio only broadcasts. His descriptive play by play was without peer. Back in the early days the Sabres used to do separate broadcasts for radio and TV. If you can find any of those gems give them a listen. When they went to a single play by play for both media the radio quality took a huge step back. I'd like to see them go on a tear with RJ in the booth and the team saying "we're not going to sit him as long as we keep winning". :laugh:

Last edited:

Hashbrown77

Apr 25, 2017
Always loved RJ on the call. Back in the day before he was on the TV broadcast, we'd always mute the TV and turn on the radio to listen to him. That being said.....he should've retired years ago. He struggles with player names not just on opponents but on the Sabres as well. Listening to his calls now just hurts because hes nowhere near where he used to be. :)

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
He was incredly gifted at bringing games to life on radio only broadcasts. His descriptive play by play was without peer.
Early Goatheadish era they made RJ tv-exclusive and made us radio-only folks listen to Pete Weber and Danny Gare. It was a struggle.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I’ve been a Sabres fan for over 20 years and RJ is the voice I connect with hockey. I agree it’s time that his commentary career draws to a close but man I’m going to miss that enthusiasm.

One of my prized possessions is a signed photo of Rick that his wife Sandra organised for me. Once my renovations are done at home it’s getting framed and finding pride of place somewhere on our walls.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I’d expect…..

1 if fans can be inside they do a game or two from the seats.

he probable does a few broadcasts that is picked up fora national feed.

If they can travel…he goes to Seattle to do the game. If he hasn’t gone to vegas to do a game he probably does that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00