Confirmed with Link: RJ to come back for his 51st and final season

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
As a Bruins fan who started watching hockey in the mid 90s, there is no other local market announcer that reminds me of watching hockey in my adolescence like RJ. It was rare I got to hear him, but somehow just watching daily highlights on SportsCenter and yearly VHS tapes like Ice Hot were enough to really implant his voice and game calls into my nostalgic past memories.

I can’t believe he is still doing the job given his health battles, and what I believe to be many hints at imminent retirement in prior years. I’ll miss hearing new genuine excitement and trademark calls as a reminder of the past. Best wishes to him in retirement.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I'm shocked that he's interested in returning for what is sure to be another low point in Sabres lore.

Hopefully Granato makes this organization likable again.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
This has been the worst part about the last 10 years. Watching RJ in slow decline and him holding on hoping the team will get better.

The game where he was replaced in game I thought for sure he'd hang them up.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
I'm really frustrated about the idea of Dunleavy taking over the play by play full time, specifically on the radio. I suppose we've been spoiled by RJ, but Dunleavy gives almost no description of the on-ice play if you aren't viewing it. There are huge gaps in time and he rarely references where they are on the ice and sometimes who even has the puck. There is no point in listening when he calls it - you have no idea what is going on.

They need to seriously consider an independent radio broadcast if they are going to keep Dunleavy full time on the TV side.

Last edited:

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
For as rough as he may be now (and I still find him passable) there is nothing but sadness from my side as a true fan of the team and promotor of Buffalo is hanging them up. 51 years is INCREDIBLE and I hope he has his health long after this season is over.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Such a shame the team has been utter trash for a decade. The only "fun" moment I think I remember seeing RJ and Ray enjoy this last decade of suffering was that Eichel OT GWG vs Canes

Reactions: The Red Helmet

FormerSabresFan

Sep 14, 2015
RJ has been the only bright spot for the last 10+ years and I still rate him well above almost any other broadcaster.

I'm sad they never got it together to give him a chance to call a Stanley Cup victory or another great playoff run at the least...or even a push for the playoffs.

And it's even more of a shame how bad this final season is going to be for him to call...this team on paper looks at least 2 x worse than the team that finished 31st last season....ugh.

This franchise continues to find ways to disappoint...

Reactions: PuckSim8

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Good to see an absolute legend leave on his terms. RJ's lost a lot off his fastball, but for my money, he's still one of the few guys that enables you to "see" the game if you aren't watching it. I don't think there will ever be another hockey broadcaster like him.

Disgraceful that the franchise/ownership has wasted a good 20% of his career.

Reactions: PuckSim8

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I'm really frustrated about the idea of Dunleavy taking over the play by play full time, specifically on the radio. I suppose we've been spoiled by RJ, but Dunleavy gives almost no description of the on-ice play if you aren't viewing it. There are huge gaps in time and he almost never references where they are on the ice and sometimes who even has the puck. There is almost no point in listening when he calls it - you have no idea what is going on.

They need to seriously consider an independent radio broadcast if they are going to keep Dunleavy full time on the TV side.
Wholly agree.
The Sabres have made themselves unwatchable.
Dunleavy makes the Sabres unlistenable.

I'd love to have a beer with RJ before either of us is gone.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'm really frustrated about the idea of Dunleavy taking over the play by play full time, specifically on the radio. I suppose we've been spoiled by RJ, but Dunleavy gives almost no description of the on-ice play if you aren't viewing it. There are huge gaps in time and he rarely references where they are on the ice and sometimes who even has the puck. There is no point in listening when he calls it - you have no idea what is going on.

RJ growing up on radio broadcast really makes a massive difference in how he calls the game compared to his peers. Back when I'd still listen to games if I was driving while the Sabres were playing, nothing was worse than Ray going, "You see right here..." to start almost every one of his asides. No, I can't see, dumbass, nor can the other listeners.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Thankfully we didn't have an on-ice product that deserved stellar commentary the past decade, for all those glad he is doing his last season.

RJ is the best.

Tsujimoto

Jan 23, 2006
I know he doesn't have a number to retire, but he belongs in the rafters
I'd suggest naming the press box after him if they hadn't already named it after Ted Darling. What else could they name after him? Maybe the bar on the 100 Level?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad