TBN: RJ Diagnosed with Throat Cancer; now cancer-free & will call 1st period Nov 15

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Damn. That's some pretty terrible news, though I will say an 85% recovery chance is pretty damn good for stage III. Hopefully he pulls through!

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
oh boy. This town is a cavalcade of sadness.

I wish RJ the best, losing him would hurt as badly as any playoff series possibly could, probably more.

Definitely more. I never met him personally though my mom has several times where she works. She says hes a really nice guy.

For me though Sabres games just aren't the same unless its RJ doing the play by play. Hes one of the biggest reasons why I watch hockey and why I'm a Sabres fan.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Not sure how I missed this thread seeing how I check Hf every day, but I almost started crying when I saw the thread title. Then I checked the date of the OP... then immediately went to the last post... and phew!

I know the battle may not be over for RJ, but this was a gut-punch if I've ever felt one. He's been immortalized in my head, and to hear something like this was absolutely crushing. So glad he seems to be making a nice recovery though.

(still a little teary-eyed, not gonna lie)

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'd honestly somehow forgotten about this until the Carolina crew gave him well wishes during last night's game. I suppose I was just thinking that he was sitting out preseason. I hope he takes his time and make sure his throat's really healthy before returning. We're gonna need him in top form for our miraculous Cup run in 2016.

Tachycineta

May 2, 2006
Gaithersburg, MD
I had no idea- wow. I'm glad that at least the worst is over and hopefully, he is in that 75% that recover. Yikes. Prayers to him and his family, as there is still quite a bit of recovery.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I had no idea- wow. I'm glad that at least the worst is over and hopefully, he is in that 75% that recover. Yikes. Prayers to him and his family, as there is still quite a bit of recovery.

Any reason why UG and BR are Gold in your signature? I'm looking for a hidden gem or theme or meaning :laugh:

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I, for one will shed a tear the day The Rick passes. Hopefully that's not soon and hopefully he's got some more epic quotables in the arsenal.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
So happy to hear the great news about RJ!

I Facebook messaged one of the Rangers on air personalities that I thought it was a crime that RJ has yet to be mentioned on the telecast during HFC, as he is one of the MSG brethren. He said he'll bring it up in the production meeting, and he's hoping to be able to give RJ a shout out tonight!

Is he going to get back into the booth for a game? I'd really love to hear him call one. I hope that somehow, someway, they nationally televise the Sabres feed of the game so I can take it in as well.

Fantastic news :nod:

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I'm really missin' RJ...Games aren't even close to being on the same level as when he called the games...Mistakes or not...I'd take a 70% RJ over anyone else all day long..... AINEC

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

RICK JEANNERET TO REJOIN BROADCAST TEAM IN LIMITED ROLE FOR SABRES-LEAFS NOV. 15

The Buffalo Sabres today announced that Hall of Fame broadcaster Rick Jeanneret will rejoin the Sabres broadcast team to call the first period of the Sabres-Maple Leafs game on Nov. 15. The game, which begins at 7 p.m. on MSG, will be the Foster Hewitt Award winner’s first game since being treated for throat cancer in early September.

“The time seems right to slowly begin transitioning back to work,†Jeanneret said. “My doctors have told me I’m cancer free and I’m feeling well enough to get back in the booth, even if it’s only on a limited basis for the time being. The kindness and well-wishes from everyone, especially Sabres fans and the Western New York community, has been overwhelming and I’m truly grateful for the tremendous support during this process.â€

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Talkin' TV - Jeanneret To Work One Period Of Sabres Play By Play Saturday-Full Game Soon -
Alan Pergament - Buffalo News TV Critic - BuffaloNews.com - Friday, November 14.

Rick Jeanneret, who was diagnosed with throat cancer over the summer and told a TV audience last week that he was cancer-free, said this morning that he plans to call one period of Saturday’s game vs Toronto Maple Leafs and has a four-game, twelve-day plan to get his energy level up to work a full game by Thanksgiving Eve.

If all goes well, Jeanneret’s plan is to work another period at Tuesday’s home game with San Jose Sharks and work two periods of games on Friday, November 21 against the New York Rangers at home and the Washington Capitals on the road on Saturday, November 22. “If it is good after that, let it rip,” said Jeanneret. By that, he means he plans to do a full game for the Thanksgiving Eve home game with Winnipeg on Wednesday, November 26.

His long-term plan is are to do all 47 games he is contracted to do this season and all 41 games he is contracted to do next season.

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2014/11/14/jeanneret-work-one-period-sabres-play-play-saturday/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad