Risto Korhonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I would imagine that skating issues were the reason. I think a lot of GM's were apprehensive selecting players that weren't great skaters because of the removal of the redline, and who it may effect the game-it could be even more important to have mobile defensemen.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Laakso and Korhonen both dropped a lot for some reason even though they're both better than most 2nd round drafted d-men (and better than some 1st round drafted d-men as well). With Laakso I can even understand it with all the injuries last season and the attitude he displayed at the U18s this year, but why Korhonen dropped I really couldn't understand.

What I also coulnd't understand is why they were both drafted by teams who had plenty of d-men already (drafted and on roster).

I'm still glad that they picked Laakso before Korhonen since he's clearly the better player in my opinion.

P-M Bouchard

Jun 5, 2004
Legionnaire said:
I would imagine that skating issues were the reason. I think a lot of GM's were apprehensive selecting players that weren't great skaters because of the removal of the redline, and who it may effect the game-it could be even more important to have mobile defensemen.

Korhonen however has played years without redline in Finland.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
The reasoning behind Carolina taking so many defensemen is this, they have tried and failed in numerous attempts to groom one defenseman at a time to take over their defense and that method has failed miserably for quite some time. They are now reverting to the, "throw as many of them against the wall as you can and hope some stick" method to drafting.

Names like Nikos Tselios, David Tanabe, Igor Knyazev, Jesse Lane, Aaron Dawson, Matej Trojovsky, and Brad Fast all speak to the fact that Carolina has been poor at raising their own talent. There are 3 picks in there that were middle of the first round material, and all have busted to some extent. For Carolina at least.

Also, Carolina has quite a bit of mediocre depth on defense and the order of that could change with the tide. I'm impressed with what i've heard of Korhonen, and if he is what he seems to be then it should be no time before getting the recognition that he deserves with this team.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Mestarin malja said:
Korhonen however has played years without redline in Finland.

Correct. However the NHL is a bit different than Finland. There are plenty of talented players in the Finnish league, but not the same calibur of NHL. You're going to have the best in the world coming at you at top speed, and that one step could cost a goal. However, I see your point he does have experience playing without the redline.

I mean honestly, other than that, what could it be? The new deadline to sign Euro's? He seems pretty mature for a kid his age already so I don't think he'd need a ton of time to delvelop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad