Rise of the Penguins ^√^

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Ben Lovejoy. He was actively against us last year. Now he's helping us out. Same goes for all the newkamas.

In other news, MAF.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Marc-André Fleury is an obvious choice but i kinda like where Pouliot is heading under the good care of The Reverend.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
The biggest improvements have come from up top. We have better decision makers at the helm this year than last, we've got a better playoff roster this year than last and a better defensive system for sure.

Those points shouldn't be lost on anyone.

Otherwise how can you not give the nod to Fleury? His haters will tell us to "wait for the playoffs" and they have a point, but maybe that sports shrink is exactly what he needed.

Scuderi gets honorable mention. For a guy who we wanted traded for a spare skate lace he sure has stepped up.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think this season has actually shown where the glaring weaknesses are. A top 6 winger (maybe 2) has to be found, and a 3rd line center also needs to be found. The crazy thing is, I think this season has seen some of the most average hockey I've ever seen Sid and Geno play, yet they both are 1 and 2 in PPG. I don't particularly like how this roster is constructed, but if things come together and we sort of find a groove in the next few weeks, I wouldn't count them out.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Good as MAF has been, I give Tanger extra props for the health stuff.
The guy had a stroke fer jeebus sake.
He's playing well....really well. Still cannot QB the PP tho...sigh....
Can't have everything. Really this is a misuse of him by the coaching staff IMO.....a poor or hesitant decision maker should never be running the play on PP. Doesn't mean he wouldn't have a spot somewhere, but QB is not it. It's hard to crtiticize too much when there's misuse going on.
Seriously did Tochett dupe us into a job or what? Oy.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Letang, though he isn't great at manning the powerplay, he has proven to be incredible in other facets of the game. His defense has taken strides this season I honestly didn't think he was capable of. I now consider him a shutdown defenseman, which I never thought I would say. When Maatta is healthy, I think Letang and Maatta will make up the best top pair in the NHL.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Letang, though he isn't great at manning the powerplay, he has proven to be incredible in other facets of the game. His defense has taken strides this season I honestly didn't think he was capable of. I now consider him a shutdown defenseman, which I never thought I would say. When Maatta is healthy, I think Letang and Maatta will make up the best top pair in the NHL.

They very well could be. Its really exciting.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
If Maatta had been healthy this year and continued developing as well as he was, i sincerely think the Pens' defense might have been the best in the league. On one hand it's nice that Pouliot is getting playing time in legitimate high-leverage situations, but i don't think there's any question that Maatta would be a more impactful player to have around. If he were healthy, this would be a fearsomely deep defense considering the strides Letang has made and the general improvement from Martin.

I wonder if either deadline trade would have happened in that sscenario. Maybe Despres would have been traded for a forward instead? Who knows. If only.

Also i have to say Scuderi has looked much better this year than last. He's still slow and overpaid but at least he looks like he has his faculties about him.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Despres.

I don't think I count Letang because he was at this level before just had a dip because of all the injuries.

Fleury is playing the best I've ever seen him & is a top 5 goalie this year.

Obviously it looks like Pouliot is going to be a game changer and made some big strides.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Starts and ends with the team MVP - Fleury. Nobody else can touch him in this category.

As for solid runner ups: Despres, Letang, Lovejoy (if you allow this), Comeau. A few of these are all due to their new roles, especially Comeau, but still nobody can touch #29.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Fleury and Letang. There has also been a positive change in regards to coaching, even if there are still complaints.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Without a doubt MAF. He has made some incredible strides. His focus and calmness in the net is 180 degrees from the beginning of the season.

Pouliot is impressing me more each and every game. His poise with the puck in traffic/pressure already exceeds any of our other defenseman. His puck decision making is incredible for someone with so little NHL experience.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
A chicken or egg question, but has it been mostly MAF improving or the defense around him supporting better along with fewer odd man rushes allowed?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Marc-Andre Fleury's having the type of season I'd hoped from him since he was taken 1st overall. However (and here it is...), I'm still waiting to see him carry this over to the post season. If he can be lights out in the playoffs -- not just decent, not just solid, but actually play as well as he currently is -- then he's got my vote.

Comeau's an obvious choice, even though he wasn't a Pen last year. But the Pens version of Comeau is so much better than the one that's been skating around the ice the past few seasons. Such a bargain signing.

I think Letang's also had a much more consistent season, at both ends of the rink. He still has his issues, and I'm still not sure he's ever going to be money on the PP, but he's playing at a level that's well worth his price tag.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
A chicken or egg question, but has it been mostly MAF improving or the defense around him supporting better along with fewer odd man rushes allowed?

I think the defense has gotten better but not nearly as much as people are making it seem. Last night being a prime example. Ton of chances for LA & Fleury just bailed them out time after time.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
MAF by a landslide.

Honorable mention goes to Letang and Comeau. Comeau in particular has gone from 4th line fodder with the BJ's to being a mainstay on our top 6 and putting up some VERY respectable numbers and performances.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
MAF - Without a doubt, he should be a Vezina finalist.
Letang - He's playing norris caliber hockey.

Those two really.

Because they both improved from last year, there are a ton of new comers and a lot of the other guys have been somewhat even or not as good as last year.

I do like the confidence in Pouliot's game since he's been with Lovejoy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad