Movies: Rise of Skywalker [SPOILER] Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Let's start this right, with a re-posting of many of the things I loved about this movie.

-I thought the pacing was perfect. The desperation of the situation called for a fast and frenetic pace to the movie and that's what we got.
-Snokes in a vat
-Palpatine's changing face depending the shadows
-Rey's training scene
-I thought they did an excellent job with Leia, considering
-Rey and Poe bickering with Finn being like "guys, cmon"
-Threepio was hilarious... in fact, the humor overall landed really well. And that's not just me, the theater around me was laughing too.
-The healing the sandworm and putting it on their side, which foreshadowed doing the same for Kylo
-The Chewie misdirection
-The D-O droid
-Keri Russell's character
-"You were a spice runner?" "You were a stormtrooper?"
-The little mechanic thing was awesome
-Hux turning traitor didn't make him a hero, and I was perfectly happy with how he went out
-Rey vs Kylo in his quarters
-Rey is a Palpatine! Audible gasps in the theater on that one.
-Kylo didn't really know what he was talking about in TLJ, regarding Rey's parents, which I suspected at the time. I thought he might be lying, but him not seeing the whole story works too.
-Finn isn't the only stormtrooper defector
-The Death Star throne room
-The idea that what turned Kylo Ren back into Ben wasn't just a change in his feelings, but Leia pulling him back and then Rey literally injecting some Light into him when she healed him.
-Ben redoing his final conversation with his dad
-Chewie's reaction to Leia's death (I liked the way Leia died, but wouldn't say I loved it)
-Palpatine's acolytes (not sure if they were real or conjured)
-The arm holding Palpatine
-"It's not a fleet, it's just people!"
-Ben smiled!
-All the Jedi voices, with the inclusion of Ahsoka, Kanan, and a few of other TCW series Jedi.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
But it's a repeat of RotJ, he wants the Jedi to kill him for x reason, and he's like "fulfill your destiny" and his master plan obviously included taking over her body, not just conquering the galaxy again

You're not going to get me to think negatively about something just because it's been done before. Palpatine still has the same basic flaw. He overestimates the power of the Dark Side to get him where he wants to go and he underestimates the power of the Light Side to defy him. The concept of evil not being able to change isn't a new one, but it doesn't need to be.

But either way, I don't think Palpatine had a single result he was aiming for. More that he set up a scenario where he thought, whatever the result, he wins. Rey dead? Good good. Rey here for me to take her over? Good good.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I’m upset they didn’t have a lightsaber duel between Kylo, Rey, and the Emperor. That would’ve been so much fun to watch.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'm actually glad they didn't do that. I thought the Emperor battling would be forced.

Yeah, during the prequels, some of the fight choreography with Palpatine was bad. We don't need to see it if it's not going to look good.

That said, I found that none of the action scenes in this film really stuck with me. Closest was the light sabre duel with the crashing waves. I liked what they were going for in the light sabre battles from different locations, but something didn't quite work for me on that.

I think it was the pacing, that none of action pieces had time for build up. It may improve on a second viewing though.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Yeah, during the prequels, some of the fight choreography with Palpatine was bad. We don't need to see it if it's not going to look good.

That said, I found that none of the action scenes in this film really stuck with me. Closest was the light sabre duel with the crashing waves. I liked what they were going for in the light sabre battles from different locations, but something didn't quite work for me on that.

I think it was the pacing, that none of action pieces had time for build up. It may improve on a second viewing though.

I do think a second viewing will help, because you can just sit back more and enjoy it now that you know where things are going.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
"I am all of the Sith"

"And.... I am.... IRON MAN!!!!!!!"
A Sith should be more intimidating than that. That's what a Jedi would say.

A Sith would imitate Christian Bale's graverly voice and shout....

Because I'm the godamn Batman......errrr Sith!

Btw, Obi Wan never told me that "OhCaptainmyCaptain" is my father!

Noooooooooooooooooo!

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I look forward to not reading the inevitable book that has to try to explain what the heck was up with Palpatine between getting the shaft and secretly building a massive fleet of ships while having a metal tentacle shoved up his ass.

Speaking of shafts though -- kudos to Kylo for being the umpteenth Star Wars character who manages to survive being tossed into a big hole.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
A real shame we don't see the yellow saber in action, it is my favourite lightsaber colour and ending the movie with it was really annoying :laugh:

Ben should have lived with the burden that his actions killed Luke and Rey etc... Leading him to rebuild the Jedi Order as a form of rédemption.

I get why Rey dying instead of him wouldn't be ideal but one of them had to die, having the Skywalker live on while Palpatine's line get extinguished would have worked better for me. In the end Palpatine triumphed over the Skywalkers (corrupted Anakin and ruined all his family) doesn't feel quite right.

And **** all the rectonning of TLJ, god that was frustrating to watch. It feel like the movie was begging for approval.

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Let's start this right, with a re-posting of many of the things I loved about this movie.

-I thought the pacing was perfect. The desperation of the situation called for a fast and frenetic pace to the movie and that's what we got.
-Snokes in a vat
-Palpatine's changing face depending the shadows
-Rey's training scene
-I thought they did an excellent job with Leia, considering
-Rey and Poe bickering with Finn being like "guys, cmon"
-Threepio was hilarious... in fact, the humor overall landed really well. And that's not just me, the theater around me was laughing too.
-The healing the sandworm and putting it on their side, which foreshadowed doing the same for Kylo
-The Chewie misdirection
-The D-O droid
-Keri Russell's character
-"You were a spice runner?" "You were a stormtrooper?"
-The little mechanic thing was awesome
-Hux turning traitor didn't make him a hero, and I was perfectly happy with how he went out
-Rey vs Kylo in his quarters
-Rey is a Palpatine! Audible gasps in the theater on that one.
-Kylo didn't really know what he was talking about in TLJ, regarding Rey's parents, which I suspected at the time. I thought he might be lying, but him not seeing the whole story works too.
-Finn isn't the only stormtrooper defector
-The Death Star throne room
-The idea that what turned Kylo Ren back into Ben wasn't just a change in his feelings, but Leia pulling him back and then Rey literally injecting some Light into him when she healed him.
-Ben redoing his final conversation with his dad
-Chewie's reaction to Leia's death (I liked the way Leia died, but wouldn't say I loved it)
-Palpatine's acolytes (not sure if they were real or conjured)
-The arm holding Palpatine
-"It's not a fleet, it's just people!"
-Ben smiled!
-All the Jedi voices, with the inclusion of Ahsoka, Kanan, and a few of other TCW series Jedi.
Was that Anthony Daniels piloting a resistance fighter in the final battle?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah once he drained Rey and Kylo of their life force that would've been cool.

The original idea was to have the bond between Rey and Kylo be an actual thing that was explained as "Force Dyad": the main cast spent a bunch of time looking for an oracle who explains it via exposition. This movie already had too much exposition dumps so they cut it.

But the original final battle had Palpatine become younger by absorbing Kylo and defeated by the force ghosts instead of us just hearing their voices. Also didn't have Rey and Kylo kissing which is just wtffffffff

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
A real shame we don't see the yellow sabre in action, it is my favourite lightsaber colour and ending the movie with it was really annoying :laugh:

Ben should have lived with the burden that his actions killed Luke and Rey etc... Leading him to rebuild the Jedi Order as a form of rédemption.

I get why Rey dying instead of him wouldn't be ideal but one of them had to die, having the Skywalker live on while Palpatine's line get extinguished would have worked better for me. In the end Palpatine triumphed over the Skywalkers (corrupted Anakin and ruined all his family) doesn't feel quite right.

And **** all the rectonning of TLJ, god that was frustrating to watch. It feel like the movie was begging for approval.

Palpatine didn't triumph over the Skywalkers :laugh:

They were his ultimate downfall.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The original idea was to have the bond between Rey and Kylo be an actual thing that was explained as "Force Dyad": the main cast spent a bunch of time looking for an oracle who explains it via exposition. This movie already had too much exposition dumps so they cut it.

But the original final battle had Palpatine become younger by absorbing Kylo and defeated by the force ghosts instead of us just hearing their voices. Also didn't have Rey and Kylo kissing which is just wtffffffff
I honestly kind of like that the force ghosts just became voices though. If we had gotten a full scene of ghosts people would be endlessly bitching about how JJ couldn't stop ripping off the OT but he had to rip off Harry Potter too.

But yes I remember the leaks for the original plot. Also I don't hate Kylo and Rey kissing. I don't love it as an idea but I think there's a sort of odd development for it throughout the trilogy. I don't think it's as out of left field as some people claim.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Palpatine didn't triumph over the Skywalkers :laugh:

They were his ultimate downfall.

They are all dead by the end of the movie. The mantle is taken up by the grand daughter of the one who orchestrated their downfall.

Palps didn't get what he wanted but he did wipe out the real Skywalkers

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Didn't catch that. Things were happening crazy fast at that point. I did like Wedge's one line about Poe's flying.

Someone did mention to me that one of the pilots is John Williams.
Maybe that's who it was, but it looked like Daniels to me, and he had a British accent.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
79788281_453003522028676_3916237745558650880_n.png

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I honestly kind of like that the force ghosts just became voices though. If we had gotten a full scene of ghosts people would be endlessly *****ing about how JJ couldn't stop ripping off the OT but he had to rip off Harry Potter too.

But yes I remember the leaks for the original plot. Also I don't hate Kylo and Rey kissing. I don't love it as an idea but I think there's a sort of odd development for it throughout the trilogy. I don't think it's as out of left field as some people claim.

It just feels so out of place with TLJ where Rey's final scene has her closing the door on Kylo after she spends most of the movie thinking he can be redeemed.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

I enjoyed the Endor duel among the waves a lot better the second time I saw this more for the acting of Driver and Ridley. If OT duels were better for the emotion and context behind them, the actors really sold it in a way I enjoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad