OT: RIP Tommy Lasorda

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I know this isn't hockey related but few people have meant more to the city of LA than Tommy, who also loved the LA Kings.

RIP old friend

BqYStwzCIAEaOEs.jpg

tommy-lasorda-drops-the-ceremonial-puck-with-dustin-brown-of-the-los-picture-id167533463

images

OCR-L-LASORDAPICS-09-2.jpg

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
A name totally synonymous with LA. Very sad news to wake up to. Especially given he just went home from the hospital what, 36 hours ago? I was definitely taken by surprise here.

RIP to an LA and MLB legend, can't think of anyone who didn't respect Lasorda. Exudes absolute love for the game, and love for all people. The guy was so open and friendly, you'd think he's just another fan. I had the honor of him simply knowing my name, dude went to so many IE 66ers games that it became like seeing a friend rather than a distant legend...but still, with the millions of contacts this guy had, he knew the names of random people in San Bernardino like they were old friends. They don't build them like that anymore.

Suck it already, 2021.

DrHansReinhardt

Nov 12, 2019
Drafting 14th
Sad, news RIP Tommy. I have nothing but fond memories of Tommy. From being a kid when the Dodgers won the pennant, all the way to him showing Ryan Getzlaf his back rather than shaking his hand at the ceremonial faceoff, lol classic. Tommy was all business on game day. You will be missed Tommy.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
Very sad news. If you dont know who Tommy Lasorda is and what he meant for the City of Los Angeles, you're really not an Angeleno.

Reactions: andys

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Remember him with the great teams of the late seventies and '80's...Lopes,Garvey,the Penguin,F Valenzuela,O Hershiser,M Scioscia,S Sax,M Piazza and K Gibson. When I think of Mangers for the Dodgers,its Lasorda and Lasorda only! RIP Uncle Tommy Lasorda...hey all us Italians are related somewhere down the line...A great manager that managed some great,great LA Dodger teams and he played a huge part in that!

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Remember him with the great teams of the late seventies and '80's...Lopes,Garvey,the Penguin,F Valenzuela,O Hershiser,M Scioscia,S Sax,M Piazza and K Gibson. When I think of Mangers for the Dodgers,its Lasorda and Lasorda only! RIP Uncle Tommy Lasorda...hey all us Italians are related somewhere down the line...A great manager that managed some great,great LA Dodger teams and he played a huge part in that!
With all due respect to Tommy Lasorda, I don't think you can overlook Walter Alston.

He managed the Dodgers for 22 years, won the National League Championship 7 times, and won the World Series 4 times.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hopefully this link works,

On Hockey Central Today, Brian Burke interrupted the Podcast to talk about Mr. Lasorda and share some nice stories about him, starting at ~9:30 in until about 13:00.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...EwjlkLH9sI3uAhVzOX0KHXBoCl8QieUEegQIBxAF&ep=6

I remember reading, "The Artful Dodger" and watching Orel Hershiser joking around with him back in that magical post-season. I always respect people who can laugh at themselves.

I couldn't find the one where Orel walks behind him waddling with his cheeks puffed out like he's as big as Tommy lol.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
With all due respect, there aren't many people left these days who can remember back to when people still got wooden dentures... ;)
It's not like it was 100 years ago. The sun didn't suddenly start shining the day you were born.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
It's not like it was 100 years ago. The sun didn't suddenly start shining the day you were born.
The guy was born 109 years ago, and he last managed a game in 1976. That is well outside the demographic of the vast majority of this board. You're old. It's ok, accept it. And the sun started shining the day before I was born. It had to get ready.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The guy was born 109 years ago, and he last managed a game in 1976. That is well outside the demographic of the vast majority of this board. You're old. It's ok, accept it. And the sun started shining the day before I was born. It had to get ready.
Yes, I am older and wiser than you. You should accept it.

Alston last managed 44 years ago. It's not ancient history, especially in the context of modern baseball.

Pretty sure it was overcast on your birthday.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
With all due respect to Tommy Lasorda, I don't think you can overlook Walter Alston.

He managed the Dodgers for 22 years, won the National League Championship 7 times, and won the World Series 4 times.
I remember the name Walter Alston and Branch Rickey! But will always remember Lasorda the Manager of the Dodgers forever!

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I remember the name Walter Alston and Branch Rickey! But will always remember Lasorda the Manager of the Dodgers forever!

There is nothing wrong with Tommy Lasorda being your favorite manager. The guy was awesome. He was quite a character when he was the 3rd base coach under Alston as well. Loved the guy.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Tommy was a gracious man. Several years ago, he was the guest of honor for a fundraiser at my wife's church. He was friendly and classy, real salt of the earth. He will be missed.
I envy those of you who were able to meet him in person. I bet he told some great stories to some of you who had the good fortune of talking with him in person.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad