RIP Ted Green

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
For those who dont know he was known to slash faces, yes faces. then an opposing player slashed him in the face and fractured his skull. He makes Gudas and Tom Wilson look like saints. One nasty, tough SOB.

Shibumi

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
When he was coaching the Oilers many years ago, he had a tooth that was causing him discomfort. He said he didn't have time to go see the dentist, so he pulled the tooth out himself with a pair of pliers. very tough individual. Wayne Maki almost killed him.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Who’s the toughest guy I ever faced? Teddy Green (in practice),” said Orr, who rushed to Green’s defence to pound Maki in the Boston-St. Louis exhibition game in 1969 after Green had hit Maki with his stick below the shoulder area, and Maki swung back, catching the bare-headed Green.
He fought for his life in 2 1/2 hours of surgery for the brain injury, had lasting paralysis, missed a season but returned to help Boston win the 1972 Stanley Cup.
He played from the start to the finish of the World Hockey Association, retired to coach intermediate hockey in Carman, Man., then was brought to the Oilers by Sather in 1982.
“He wrote me a letter asking if we could talk about coaching and he showed up with a binder about two inches thick on all the teams he had scouted. He wrote it all out, left-handed … you remember he had to learn to write with his other hand after the injury? Soon as I saw what he had done, I said ‘you’re hired.’’’ said Sather, his teammate in Boston.

Ted Green was tough on ice but kind-hearted off it

Ted Green Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

R.I.P.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I remember when he was the Oilers head coach he told me my Sharks hat was the ugliest thing he'd ever seen.....and a wink

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Green was a key player in a watershed moment in the history of hockey.

Greatest Hockey Legends.com: Wayne Maki And The Terrible Stick Swinging Incident

Hexi Riihiranta, his defensive pair in Winnipeg Jets 1975-76 remembers in the Finnish article:

Kaukaloiden kovanaamana tunnettu Ted Green kuoli – Hexi Riihiranta entisestä pakkiparistaan: ”Sitä kaveria pelättiin aidosti”

The metal detector went off at every airport because of the silver plate in his head, and Green kept having to explain it.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
I grew up watching Green as a coach on the Oilers. He was teddy bear Ted to me.

Reading about the player, and the historical accounts of the incident with Maki is interesting. The first hand accounts with fans who were at the game, give good insight.

Anybody here on the boards recall the game ?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00