RIP Sonia Scurfield

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
They did a story on her on one of the sports networks a couple weeks ago. I think they mentioned she was having a surgery at the time. Rest in peace to a pioneer.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I've heard many stories about Harold Ballard, Peter Pocklington, and Bill Wirtz.

Not one about Sonia Scurfield.
Probably because she inherited her husband's interest in the flames when he died in 1980. I don't think she was exactly a female pioneer in the sport.

She married Ralph T. Scurfield, on July 24, 1954, in Edmonton, Alberta. Together they raised seven children in Calgary, Alberta. [4] Ralph Scurfield was part of the original consortium that bought the Atlanta Flames in 1980 and moved them to Calgary, and Sonia inherited his interest upon his death.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Probably because she inherited her husband's interest in the flames when he died in 1980. I don't think she was exactly a female pioneer in the sport.

That makes sense.

Still, even Marge Schott's name comes up from time to time, as far as the ever-rare female owner of a pro sports team. Perhaps the same conditions applied to Schott, marrying into wealth and inheriting the reins of a team. Maybe Scurfield was just content to be the anti-Schott, i.e. capable of owning a team without making headlines for all the wrong reasons. :laugh:

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
That makes sense.

Still, even Marge Schott's name comes up from time to time, as far as the ever-rare female owner of a pro sports team. Perhaps the same conditions applied to Schott, marrying into wealth and inheriting the reins of a team. Maybe Scurfield was just content to be the anti-Schott, i.e. capable of owning a team without making headlines for all the wrong reasons. :laugh:

Georgia Frontiere is pretty famous too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad