RIP Richard Loney. Longtime Anthem singer of the Canucks

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=778542&hootPostID=7cf9689641e87d54c202972d63fa7c6e

COfqln7WoAEeJQh.jpg:large

“The entire Vancouver Canucks organization is deeply saddened to learn of the passing of longtime anthem singer, Richard Loney. Richard sang the anthem at the first Canucks NHL game in 1970 and his rendition of our National Anthem remained a welcome tradition at Canucks home games for over 40 years. I was lucky enough to hear him sing O Canada so many times during my playing career. He’s been such a big part of our team’s history and was a true icon in BC, lending his one-of-a-kind voice to the Lions, Whitecaps, Giants, and even at Safeco Field when the Blue Jays would come for their annual visit. He supported sports at all levels and often volunteered for charities and for minor league hockey, baseball and soccer events around the Lower Mainland. He was such a nice man and I will miss him. Our heartfelt condolences go out to his wife Marion, and his family and friends.â€

One of the best anthem singers in the league, alongside mark donnelly. Awful news. #RIP

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
An underappreciated icon, one of the few constants through the franchise's history. Will always prefer his classic, understated style to the Donnelly overkill.

Very sad news. RIP. :(

JA

RIP Mr. Richard Loney.

An iconic contributor to the Canucks' history. There isn't much footage online of him performing in his younger days. Here he is during Game 5 of the 1994 Stanley Cup Western Semifinals against Dallas at the Pacific Coliseum.

2:28:

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I don't know how long it went on, but I remember going back to 2007 at least the tradition of him doing the American and Donnelly ding the Canadian anthems for the playoffs. He was pretty old even then, but still had a very powerful, yet classic voice. I'll miss his great anthems for sure.

JA

This performance from April 19, 1993 was posted 28 minutes ago on YouTube.

The building was loud and electric that evening.

Last edited by a moderator:

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
I have two great memories of Richard Loney.

The first was at my first Canucks game at the Pacific Colosseum. Loney was in the hall signing augtographs for his new record. I got one on my program (since lost). My brother razzed me up and down telling me its title and greatest hit was "O Canada".

The second memory was the 1982 run to the cup. Richard came out to sing the anthem, and he had a towel under his arm. The fans went nuts and he was laughing the whole time. The video of it was replayed on TV that night and for years.

I noticed the very next game he was sans towel and did not once crack a smile. It was pretty obvious the league was not happy with an impartial anthem singer - at least one that was cheering on the Canucks.

be so great if someone could that find that image again - or a copy of his album :D.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I remember his rendition of the anthem when I first started watching Canucks games in the 80's...didn't know he had been there since 1970.Very sad to hear he's gone,watching those clips sure brings back memories.

VanCity15

Apr 8, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Mr. Richard Loney was whom I like referring to as "the Jim Robson of national anthem singing". In no disrespect to Mark Donnelly, Mr. Loney was one of hockey's all-time great anthem soloists. Right up there with Montreal's Roger Doucet.

I still remember how great it was to hear his anthem singing while the Pacific Coliseum still had the great-sounding organ - especially during the '82 playoffs. I was very fortunate to meet him during an intermission of a game. What a gentleman and a first-class act. Too bad the Canucks never had more lengthy playoff runs during their Coliseum days. He would have had far more exposure around the league.

RIP Mr. Loney, Forever A Canuck.

KahunaBaby

Oct 31, 2011
Whalley, B.C.
Mr. Richard Loney was whom I like referring to as "the Jim Robson of national anthem singing". In no disrespect to Mark Donnelly, Mr. Loney was one of hockey's all-time great anthem soloists. Right up there with Montreal's Roger Doucet.

I still remember how great it was to hear his anthem singing while the Pacific Coliseum still had the great-sounding organ - especially during the '82 playoffs. I was very fortunate to meet him during an intermission of a game. What a gentleman and a first-class act. Too bad the Canucks never had more lengthy playoff runs during their Coliseum days. He would have had far more exposure around the league.

RIP Mr. Loney, Forever A Canuck.

Great post.

Seeing a Canuck home in the 70's was rare for me but when i did hearing Loney sing the national anthem was comforting.

Very sad to here the passing of Mr. Loney. RIP Richard, you will always be a part of Canucks heritage.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
An underappreciated icon, one of the few constants through the franchise's history. Will always prefer his classic, understated style to the Donnelly overkill.

Very sad news. RIP. :(

Yep. Was also very humble - when the Canucks jumped on the Donnelly bandwagon he happily did Giants games.

RIP.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
RIP.

Whenever we had to sing the National Anthem in Elementary and Middle School as part of a school assembly, I always tried to sound like Richard Loney.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad