In Memoriam RIP Peter McNab (1952-2022)

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Peter McNab and Gregg Sheppard are my co-all-time favorite Broons. Never really clear to me who signed whom first: Andre Savard or McNab. In any event, two free agents were exchanged for each other.

Sinden had a great summer that year (1976), getting McNab for Savard and Rick Middleton for Ken Hodge.

Savard scored 20 goals the first half of the season and Peter did well too. We got lots of grief from Sabre fans about who won the trade. However, Savard only scored 5 goals in the 2nd half of the season, whereas Peter got 38 for the year, to Savard's 25. Went to a game at the old Aud that year and Savard was skating all over the ice, slamming his stick on the ice, demanding the puck. LOL.

McNab and Rick Middleton were Don Cherry's projects. He rode both players constantly to become 200-foot players, driving them almost mad, but Cherry succeeded beyond his wildest dreams.

In the infamous Game 7 against Montreal in 79, in OT, McNab had a partial breakaway and sent a rocket to the upper corner glove side, but Dryden flashed the catcher at the last split second. Some time later, McNab said that in his dreams that shot goes in and da Broons beat the Rags for the cup. If only.

Another great memory I have is being at the Gahden, last game of the 79-80 season and McNab got the hat trick to finish with 40 goals, his 2nd 40-goal season.

I was also very disappointed when he was traded in 84 for Jim Nill.

RIP, Peter. Condolences to widow, Diana, his entire family, and all the former teammates, and friends
I was very young, and should look something up, but I have read Savard was signed first. But it was the same day, so who knows.
According to Cherry, Sinden really liked Savard and thus always had criticism for McNab. The Bruins made out in that deal as Peter was a much better offensive player.

Last edited:

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
I was very young, and should look something up, but I have read Savard was signed first. But it was the same day, so who knows.
According to Cherry, Sinden really liked Savard and thus always had criticism for McNab. The Bruins made out in that deal as Peter was a much better offensive player.
Savard was the better skater and Harry loved his first-round draft picks, so not surprised. But, as you stated, Peter was the better offensive player; he had much the better hands and had the size to stand in front of the net. McNab was a very good playoff player as well. He never lacked hustle, and usually had Marcotte and O'Reilly on his wings. Ratelle usually had Middleton on his right. Cashman played both wings because the team had Secord, Jonathan and Wensink on LW. Schmautz on RW, Sheppard and Miller at center. Cherry would mix the lines too.

I also have read that Savard was signed first, but I've also read it the other way, so who knows. What I do know is that we got the better player. 35 or more goals in each of his first six years with da Broons. Then he slowed to 22 goals and then 14 in 52 games before the trade to Vancouver.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Savard was the better skater and Harry loved his first-round draft picks, so not surprised. But, as you stated, Peter was the better offensive player; he had much the better hands and had the size to stand in front of the net. McNab was a very good playoff player as well. He never lacked hustle, and usually had Marcotte and O'Reilly on his wings. Ratelle usually had Middleton on his right. Cashman played both wings because the team had Secord, Jonathan and Wensink on LW. Schmautz on RW, Sheppard and Miller at center. Cherry would mix the lines too.

I also have read that Savard was signed first, but I've also read it the other way, so who knows. What I do know is that we got the better player. 35 or more goals in each of his first six years with da Broons. Then he slowed to 22 goals and then 14 in 52 games before the trade to Vancouver.
Savard had astonishing junior numbers,it just didn't translate.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Savard had astonishing junior numbers,it just didn't translate.
This is true, but back then, it wasn't that unusual, as QMJHL players often had high numbers that didn't translate. That league very offensive and was considered a notch below the OHL and WHL. That is not the case in more recent times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad