NFL: RIP John Madden

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
can't think of another individual who has left his mark on football as much as john madden has

championship coach, broadcaster, and responsible for the most well known sports video game that's played worldwide by people who have never watched a second of football

RIP

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
RIP to a GOAT. He was a huge part of my childhood. Hard to believe he last called a game over a decade ago, still seems like yesterday. Happy he lived a long and distinguished life at least.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
This one blows. A lot.

Madden's contributions to pro football cannot be understated. His legendary run as head coach of the Raiders, being one of the most insightful analysts i ever had the pleasure of listening to in the booth, to lending his name to a small video game that would go on to become a juggernaut and THE brand in sports gaming/merchandising.

My uncle couldn't stand him but as i got older i learned to appreciate him. His breakdowns in the booth could be as simple as "BRETT FAVRE BOOM!" or to a very intricate explanation of a given defensive formation from a prior play and what each guy was thinking. His love for Brett Favre annoyed people, but to me it always came off as Madden living vicariously through Favre's more laid back and fun loving style. As someone else put it today, no person on earth could squiggle lines and circles on a TV and have it make sense like John Madden did.

He was just a guy who loved football and loved to share knowledge with people.

While it can be cliche to say "legends never die" and shit like that, with the amount Madden contributed to the game, i don't think it's wrong to say that the Madden name is likely one that will quite literally never die. Even if the game that carries his name is dogshit now, it's not going anywhere and that alone will be enough to be remembered, let alone the rest.

Edit: And that's not even getting into some of the other stuff he contributed like popularizing the telestrator and the turducken lol.

Reactions: Ol' Jase

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
madden and summerall were the GOAT broadcast team

i think brady's first SB win against the rams was their last game together

Reactions: J T Money

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Yep. Summerall retired after SB38 and Madden jumped ship to work MNF with Al Michaels if memory serves.
That's right. He did MNF for a few years before going to NBC and doing SNF until 08 or 09. Collinsworth replaced him when he retired

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I think one of the more underrated parts of Madden's personality is he was well aware he was a goofball at heart. His hall of fame speech was a good one too

"You have to stay with me a moment on this one. This is a little goofy here. You're going to say, There is old Madden being goofy again. But I started thinking about this after I got voted into the Hall of Fame. The more I think about it, the more I think it's true. Now I know it's true and I believe it.
Here is the deal: I think over in the Hall of Fame, that during the day, the people go through, they look at everything. At night, there's a time when they all leave. All the fans and all the visitors leave the Hall of Fame. Then there's just the workers. Then the workers start to leave. It gets down to there's just one person. That person turns out the light, locks the door.
I believe that the busts talk to each other. I can't wait for that conversation, I really can't. Vince Lombardi, Knute Rockne, Reggie, Walter Payton, all my ex players, we'll be there forever and ever and ever talking about whatever. That's what I believe. That's what I think is going to happen, and no one's ever going to talk me out of that (laughter).
These guys are going, Oh, no, hope I don't have to put up with his BS for an eternity.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

This was my first exposure to John Madden before listening to him call games and his video games.

Madden_NFL_99_Coverart.png

Reactions: trostol

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
You can argue he did more for football's popularity than anyone else in league history.

Superbowl winning coach, all time great announcer and had the foresight to get into the gaming world way back before it was big

Reactions: NJDevs26

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I knew he was a successful NFL Head Coach with Oakland but I had no idea his regular season record was 103-32-7 for a winning percentage of .759. :amazed:

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
He was a true legend who changed the way football on tv was presented with his unique style of analysis and the intro of the telestrator. I hope all of you have a chance to watch the All Madden documentary because it was a spectacular look at his career in football.

RIP Coach.

Reactions: Tarantula

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think Madden once said his '77 team was better than '76 but they just peaked too early. Too bad, because Oakland-Dallas would have been a much better Super Bowl.

RIP
That was a game that still should’ve happened too, that playoff game between the Raiders and Broncos was a shitshow by many accounts.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Very few broadcasters are synonymous with one sport John Madden - NFL Dick Vitale - College basketball Doc Emrick - hockey Andres Cantor - Soccer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad