RIP John Havlicek

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Really sad news tonight as Celtics great John Havlicek passed away at the age of 79. Havlicek and Dave Cowens were the main guys in Boston when I started watching the NBA and I loved how he always hustled at both ends of the court. RIP Hondo.

from espn.com

i

John Havlicek won eight championships in his 16 seasons with the Celtics.

The Boston Celtics announced Thursday evening that John Havlicek, one of the greatest players in the history of one of the sport's most decorated franchises, died at the age of 79.

Havlicek played all of his 16 years in the NBA with the Celtics, winning eight championships -- including one in each of the first four seasons of his career. Only two players -- Celtics teammates Bill Russell (11) and Sam Jones (10) -- have won more championships in NBA history.

He had been suffering from Parkinson's disease.

"I loved the man. I won two championships with him," former teammate Paul Silas told ESPN. "When I first got to Boston, we talked all the time. All I wanted him to do was shoot. And when he didn't, I'd go right at him. He really was one of the greatest shooters I ever saw. When we needed a big basket, he was always the guy we wanted to take the shot.''

The Celtics called Havlicek "the face of many of the franchise's signature moments."

"His defining traits as a player were his relentless hustle and wholehearted commitment to team over self," a team statement read. "He was extraordinarily thoughtful and generous, both on a personal level and for those in need, as illustrated by his commitment to raising money for The Genesis Foundation for Children for over three decades through his fishing tournament.

"John was kind and considerate, humble and gracious. He was a champion in every sense, and as we join his family, friends, and fans in mourning his loss, we are thankful for all the joy and inspiration he brought to us."

Full story here: Boston Celtics legend John Havlicek dies at 79

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site
As a Knicks fan I saw Havlicek play many times.

What a fantastic player. 100 percent the whole game. Swear to god, I thought he must've had a 3rd lung.

RIP.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Had no clue he played at Ohio State, it was mentioned during game 1 of the Bruins/Jackets series, small world. RIP

Elvis P

Revolution was a B side
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
He's #1 all time in Celtics FGs, games, and points. Amazing career.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00