RIP Mr Lafleur

Attachments

• IMG20220424184746.jpg
    IMG20220424184746.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 7

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I will rehash 5/10/79 until the day I die.

As painful as looking at the tying goal is to this day the key is how he set it up.

The late Danny Gallivan says on CBC that Lafluer is skating gingerly and Don Marcotte takes his eyes off of him for a split second......:cry:

To our younger members, you have to look at the time frame. Too Many Men came just 220 days after Bucky Dent - it was crushing.

I honestly have no recollection of my drive home that night except remembering having breakfast at the Red Arrow in Manchester, NH around 7:30 AM. The waitress looked at us and said it looked like we had a long night. I held up the Montreal papers we had and she gasped YOU WERE THERE???? Your breakfast is on me.

Although separated by 300 miles, a border and a language, Montreal and Boston are remarkably similar. Founded 12 years apart in the first half of the 17th century, the cities are home to renowned universities, drivers who treat their turn signals as optional, and distinctive accents, such as that represented by the aigu over the ein the surname of Jean Béliveau, and the pronunciation of number foah, Bobby Oah. The two towns also have the curious ability to mingle religion and hockey.

In keeping with the French-Catholic origins of a city whose architectural landmark is the illuminated 98-foot cross atop Mount Royal, the Canadiens skate in vestments as much as jerseys, bleu, blanc et rouge sweaters often called, without a hint of irony, la Sainte-Flanelle (the Holy Flannel). The spirituality of Boston hockey is not as overt, but at times the Bruins have embodied the purse-lipped Calvinism of colonial New England. Harry Sinden, their longtime general manager, famously explored the concept of predestination when he listed his certainties of life: “Death, taxes and the first penalty in the Forum.”

Armchair theologians can debate if the defining moment of hockey’s most compelling rivalry—Boston and Montreal have played 899 games in 90 years—was quasi-sacred (“We didn’t know if the hockey gods were still with us,” Canadiens left wing Steve Shutt says) or verging on profane (“Complete screw-up,” says Montreal defenseman Brian Engblom). But it definitely was math.

Too Many Men. Three little words. Like Bucky F------ Dent, on ice.

May 10, 1979. Boston led Montreal 4–3, at the Forum no less, with 2:34 left in Game 7 of their Stanley Cup semifinal when linesman John D’Amico made, in conjunction with referee Bob Myers, a call as indisputable as it was ineluctable. In violation of Rule 18, the Bruins had too many skaters on the ice. Guy Lafleur scored on the ensuing power play to tie the game, which the Canadiens would win midway through the first overtime period on Yvon Lambert’s goal. This series was the de facto Cup finals; Montreal would roll to its fourth straight championship less than two weeks later, defeating the New York Rangers in five games.

I remember hearing that they goaded the Too Many Men penalty when Lafleur skated towards the bench for a change, then reversed course and stayed on the ice, so the Marcotte line reversed as well.

In my mind's recollection, I believe Ron D'Amico was quoted in the paper saying that he didn't blow the whistle at first but had no choice when the Bruins had so many players on the ice for that long a period.

I have rewatched that game endlessly. Gilbert was amazing, IMO he was the best player on the ice. Ratelle was amazing as well.

I also maintain that if Middleton's goal stands as the GWG, he is now in the Hall of Fame.

I still hate that game. And still love game 5 in 1988 over any other pro sports moment, including the Sox in 2004 and the Bruins in 2011.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
First off, I am a Habs fan.

Secondly, I was in Montreal for the Boston/Habs game, and I must say, Boston fans were absolute class. I saw a few of the older crew bring flowers and lay them at his statue.

During the game, a father and son were sitting behind me, both Bruins, and the son was probably younger than 10, and I heard his Dad telling stories of the great Le Demon Blond and he son just soaking in the information. It was a class moment and I was completely impressed with the respect Bruins fans showed our great #10.

This picture I had was with this fella who was telling people stories of all the headaches Lafleur gave him growing up, and it was said with complete respect and admiration.

GuyStatue.jpeg

So thank you Bruins fans.

Lordstanley

MusicMan
Feb 10, 2010
From The Soul

Secondly, I was in Montreal for the Boston/Habs game, and I must say, Boston fans were absolute class. I saw a few of the older crew bring flowers and lay them at his statue.

During the game, a father and son were sitting behind me, both Bruins, and the son was probably younger than 10, and I heard his Dad telling stories of the great Le Demon Blond and he son just soaking in the information. It was a class moment and I was completely impressed with the respect Bruins fans showed our great #10.

This picture I had was with this fella who was telling people stories of all the headaches Lafleur gave him growing up, and it was said with complete respect and admiration.

View attachment 536975

Somebody who loved the game as much as #10...that's very easy for this kid...nothing but respect and admiration. What a Honor to see him play at the old Boston Barn...:)

Reactions: Eco

Lordstanley

MusicMan
Feb 10, 2010
From The Soul

View attachment 536975

Somebody who loved the game as much as #10...that's very easy for this kid...nothing but respect and admiration. What a Honor to see him play at the old Boston Barn...:)

Reactions: Eco

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
Amazing

I can only recall a sports figure lying in state in Boston twice - Reggie Lewis at the Arena and Will McDonough at the then Fleet Center.

Is there any US coverage of his funeral Wednesday??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad