News Article: RIP Dale Hawerchuk

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Never knew he was ill. RIP

Concur on what a great player he was. One of my favorites of the time that was not an Oiler. He elevated his teams so much, gave everything.

Defined heart and soul player.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
It seems like it was just yesterday where Dale was living the good life to heart-wrenchingly watch Cheveldayoff confirm the rediagnosis during a press conference and to his death today. The realities of life is just scary, could happen to anyone. I feel for him and anyone associated with him.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Terrible news ... I also never knew he was ill. One of the all time greats for sure. Deepest condolences to his family. RIP.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
If it hasn't been mentioned already, any summary of Dale Hawerchuk's hockey career simply must include that timewhen he won the crucial face-off prior to the Gretzky-to-Lemieux goal of 1987.

Mike Keenan called Messier off the ice to make way for Dale, and the rest is history.

RIP

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
If it hasn't been mentioned already, any summary of Dale Hawerchuk's hockey career simply must include that timewhen he won the crucial face-off prior to the Gretzky-to-Lemieux goal of 1987.

Mike Keenan called Messier off the ice to make way for Dale, and the rest is history.

RIP

Hawerchuk also hooked down a player not allowing him to catch Lemieux

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I remember seeing a TV piece on him about a year or so ago, and it had a heartwarming portion where he walked down the hall of the cancer clinic and rang the bell, which is symbolic when someone finishes their cancer treatments and appear to have beaten the disease.

Terrible loss.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Really wonderful Canada Cup 87 documentary, lots of great footage here of Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux too, but you can see what an integral part of Canada's wins Dale Hawerchuk was. 2nd leading goal scorer for Canada.

RIP, Dale, thank you in particular for 1987.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
RIP. Dale Hawerchuk carried the Jets franchise on his shoulders from his draft year. Often overlooked I think playing in a division with the NHL's best of all time Oilers teams and strong Flamers clubs. Always an underdog it seemed and always came to play. From what I gather he was an even better person off the ice. I loved that he continued to fuel his love for the game as a junior coach. Too young to leave us but he leaves an incredible legacy. RIP and condolences to his family.

Reactions: yukoner88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad