RIP Chris Simon

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If the league wants to continue denying the link between hits to the head and CTE, for liability reasons, that's up to them.

But if they're going to do that, they need to do A LOT MORE for players post career, especially the enforcers.

They need to take a very pro active approach to helping players navigate their life post career. Not a reactive one. Enough is enough.

RIP

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
It's easy to forget that no matter what a player looks like on the ice or how healthy they are, anyone in the NHL puts their body through a lot. That's before you factor in the effect of what we'd call 'physical' play now, never mind being the sort of brutal force that Simon and players like him were during a period which is more recent than we probably realise. There's a lot to be said about what guys like him put themselves through to keep a job and the long-term effects of that, but I suppose all we can do in the immediate aftermath of his death is be glad he's not in pain any more (I saw posts in the Around the League thread referencing migraines/arthritis/depression).

'96 was before my time and I'm not going to kid anyone on and say I remember him as an Avalanche, or that I really know anything about him besides him being suspended for 30 games once, but while looking for a picture of him with the cup I found this interview about his time in Russia: Chris Simon: Being a Tough Guy is Serious & Respectable Choice

But to answer the question – I fight because I do it well. When I see my teammates picked on, I understand that you have to punish those people. And if someone runs into your goalie, a fight is unavoidable. You have to be able to do a lot of things in hockey. When a guy can fight and accepts a tough guy’s challenge, I respect that person. To be a tough guy is a serious and respectable choice. Maybe even as respectable as choosing to become a goalie. When a goalie makes a mistake – it’s a goal. When a fighter makes a mistake – it’s a smashed face and a lot of pain. There is a lot of pressure on a tough guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad