RIP Canadiens1958

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
We have just received word that long-time member and former Mod, Canadiens1958 has passed away

Hello, this is Victor Pywowarczuk, Andrew`s brother. It is with great sadness that I inform everyone that my brother passed away several weeks ago. I hope to organize a celebration of life in the new year. To that end I would appreciate hearing back from his friends and learning more about his recent endeavours. Thank you.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
We have just received word that long-time member and former Mod, Canadiens1958 has passed away

Hello, this is Victor Pywowarczuk, Andrew`s brother. It is with great sadness that I inform everyone that my brother passed away several weeks ago. I hope to organize a celebration of life in the new year. To that end I would appreciate hearing back from his friends and learning more about his recent endeavours. Thank you.

I was afraid something might have happened after so many days offline, which was out of the ordinary for him.

Canadiens1958 was a very knowledgable and relentless contributor in the History of Hockey section with deep knowledge of the Montreal hockey scene dating back from the 1950s and beyond. A true passionated guy about the game and its history. He held many controversial opinions and always defended them even when he was standing alone against the group.

I had the pleasure to exchange PMs and emails with him in the last few years and he was very nice to me and insightful.

I'm very saddened by this news. He will be missed.

My condolences to the family and friends.

RIP

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
We traded posts a few times. He certainly had a wealth of knowledge of the Habs from way back and tracked down and shared a great deal of hockey history info on the HOH forum.

He'll be missed.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
This one really stings me to hear. I'm not sure there was anyone I was closer with on this board and I cautiously say, perhaps vice versa. I really learned a lot about the history of the game and really even just the game in general from him. He had a very unique perspective to the sport that I greatly appreciated. Like I had said to BenchBrawl who informed me of this awful news, he was a load-bearing beam on the history board for many, many years. He was very supportive of my burgeoning scouting and coaching career, we talked often outside the framework of the forum (I had sent him a message a few days ago because I saw he hadn't seen him around in a little while, in fact), he ate the cost of mailing me some very interesting historical materials just to extend my own knowledge even...just a good, knowledgeable hockey man.

Selfishly, I say the board is worse off today as a result of this loss. RIP C1958 and if there are any friends or family members that monitor this thread, my sincerest condolences.

byrone12

Aug 2, 2005
For those who may not know, Andy Pywowarczuk was the owner/operator of Cartophilium, which for many years in the 1970’s-1980’s was the largest sports card seller in Canada. If you peruse The Hockey News issues of the day you would see his advertisements for mail-order hockey cards

He also produced early hockey card checklists and price guides, and collaborated with the late Carleton "Mac" McDiarmid to create Hockey Hall of Fame postcards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad