Tribute RIP Bob Cole

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
I concur with what everyone has already said. And this highlights how bad the state of hockey broadcasting is. No one even close to Bob in his prime or even late career. The man was always classy too.

Reactions: Runner77

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Watched the little tribute during Sportscentre and have to admit, I teared up a little. Which is weird because I don't particularly have an affinity for Bob Cole other than he is probably the best person to ever call hockey games.

I think it might just be that he was the voice of so many iconic moments in the sport growing up.

RIP Bob, no one did it like you did and I don't think anyone ever will. Legend.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Watched the little tribute during Sportscentre and have to admit, I teared up a little. Which is weird because I don't particularly have an affinity for Bob Cole other than he is probably the best person to ever call hockey games.

I think it might just be that he was the voice of so many iconic moments in the sport growing up.

Danny Gallivan was far better than Bob Cole, who idiolized Gallivan (both were Maritimers). Just to be clear, that's only an opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scintillating10

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I guess you missed the part where Dick Irvin did PxP and how he was exceptionally great at it:

After Danny Gallivan's retirement in 1984, Irvin Jr. served as the Canadiens' play-by-play announcer in regional games, staying as a colour commentator for national games. From 1976 through 1997, he also offered radio play-by-play analysis for non-NHIC games.

Even more deserving as he did both PxP and color so well.
Dick was better on radio than TV but his voice was super-annoying. He was not in the same class as Gallivan or Cole as a play-by-play guy,, and I think he'd acknowledge that.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

For me, it reaches back to childhood and as we know, good childhood memories stay with you forever.

Saturday night watching the Habs with my treat night dinner of 2 frozen McCain small pizzas, Swanson chicken tv dinner or a rare fish and chips. The voices of Bob Cole and Dick Irving were as electrifying as watching Kovalev or PK. They simply brought the action to another level.

So for me, friends of mine, millions of others, Bob Cole was somebody I never met, but looked forward to seeing every weekend and he made our childhood just a little bit more enjoyable.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
It’s a crime that the sound cut out ^^^

It cut out because the broadcast microphones couldn't handle the sheer amount of decibels being pumped through them as that giant nose faced rat got absolutely wiped off the face of the earth.

One of the greatest moments in hockey history right there.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
One legendary voice discussing another: In an interview yesterday, Dick Irvin Jr. talks about his memories of Bob Cole:

Irvin is 92 and sounds like he could still be broadcasting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad