Tribute RIP Bob Cole

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Bob Cole and Dick Irvin Jr. Man.

Thanks for the memories Bob Cole. RIP.
Was a gift from the heavens man, god handcrafted Cole for this purpose, a true gentleman and legend…..the greatest voice in ALL of sport

RIP BOB, thanks for lending your voice to our living rooms every Saturday night and bringing excitement to EVERY game you’ve ever broadcasted….

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Irvin sounds as sharp as a tack on that clip.

Watching and reading all these Bob Cole highlights and great memories from over the years here and around the internet today has been like a huge nostalgic trip down memory lane of pretty much my entire life of watching hockey plus other memories.
You had to know that you’d pique our curiosity with those “other memories.”

“Plus” as in a bonus edition? “Never before divulged?” You mean, you have extra memories that don’t involve watching hockey? :amazed::amazed::amazed:

Is there a special access code to set them free?

Did they involve the time you booked a motel room with a crate of cod cheeks? Doing counter-espionage on @OldCraig71 ’s lobster stash?

God knows what else it could be, b’y! :naughty:

Last edited:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Irvin sounds as sharp as a tack on that clip.

You had to know that you’d pique are curiosity with those “other memories.”

“Plus” as in a bonus edition? “Never before divulged?” You mean, you have extra memories that don’t involve watching hockey? :amazed::amazed::amazed:

Is there a special access code to set them free?

Did they involve the time you booked a motel room with a crate of cod cheeks? Doing counter-espionage on @OldCraig71 ’s lobster stash?

God knows what else it could be, b’y! :naughty:
Oh I have lots of memories from my younger years that would be best to not repeat in public. :)

Lots of these other memories involve hockey as well but not about the actual game itself but the fun times watching with family and friends who are unfortunately no longer with us or I don't see often enough.

Since there were many many adult beverages involved during some of these night's I'd imagine there's lots of other stuff I shall never remember though. :)

Had pan fried cod cheeks just last Saturday and lobster season starts Saturday. Be interesting to see the price.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Truly the last of the great broadcasters to call a game. To me there's really only 3 on the mount rushmore of "voices".

Foster Hewitt
Danny Gallivan
Bob Cole

Even in his latter days when he'd stumble with his call, his voice still rang true and felt like home.

It's a sad day for hockey.
4 figures on Mount Rushmore. Dick Irvin deserves a spot.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm speaking strictly of guys who were their generations callers of the game.

Dick Irvin stands alone as the GOAT of colour commentators. It's why I didn't include him.
I guess you missed the part where Dick Irvin did PxP and how he was exceptionally great at it:

After Danny Gallivan's retirement in 1984, Irvin Jr. served as the Canadiens' play-by-play announcer in regional games, staying as a colour commentator for national games. From 1976 through 1997, he also offered radio play-by-play analysis for non-NHIC games.

Even more deserving as he did both PxP and color so well.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I guess you missed the part where Dick Irvin did PxP and how he was exceptionally great at it:

After Danny Gallivan's retirement in 1984, Irvin Jr. served as the Canadiens' play-by-play announcer in regional games, staying as a colour commentator for national games. From 1976 through 1997, he also offered radio play-by-play analysis for non-NHIC games.

Even more deserving as he did both PxP and color so well.

No I didn't, I'm aware of his stint as a play by play man. I just feel he's best known for his insightful colour commentary, knowlege of the history of the game and class. He was amazing, no doubt, but he wasn't the voice of a nation like the other three.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No I didn't, I'm aware of his stint as a play by play man. I just feel he's best known for his insightful colour commentary and class. He was amazing, no doubt, but he wasn't the voice of a nation like the othe three.
I shall not bicker in a Bob Cole thread. :laugh:

Loved them both. I’ll build my own Mount Rushmore maquette good Sir. Enjoy yours although it’s missing a figure. :sarcasm:

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I shall not bicker in a Bob Cole thread. :laugh:

Loved them both. I’ll build my own Mount Rushmore maquette good Sir. Enjoy yours although it’s missing a figure. :sarcasm:

LOL No bickering, just explaining my reasoning for not including Dick Irvin, as I have the greatest respect for him, and didn't want you to think I wasn't aware of how amazing he was. He was/is incomparable. (As a colour commentator) :sarcasm:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
LOL No bickering, just explaining my reasoning for not including Dick Irvin, as I have the greatest respect for him, and didn't want you to think I wasn't aware of how amazing he was. He was/is incomparable. (As a colour commentator) :sarcasm:
If language is not a defining criteria, René Lecavalier was sublime.

We’re all blessed as hockey fans to have had so many great broadcasters.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I hated that they kept him on way too long. It was hard listening to him struggle to process what was happening on the ice. He was an absolute legend and the more meatheads they bring onto CBC/Sportsnet, the more you appreciate what a legend he truly was. RIP.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
RIP to a legend who was the voice for a couple of generations of Canadians and the voice of HNIC

Such a classic voice. This is definitely one of his best calls. The Dehhhhh - jardin call just chills.

The 24th banner in Montreal forum, and the everything is happening against the Bruins calls are up there too.

Rest In Peace, Cole. You are missed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad