Rink Operators

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Not sure if there is a thread already for people who work in the rinks?

Looking for some advice on work boots. Have a work allowance for clothing and boots, so I want to get a nice pair of boots. Money isn't an option. Basically just looking for a nice work boot for walking on ice, so you don't slip. Something light-weight and comfortable. Also for walking on cement floors all day.

I used to have a pair of Dakota's that had the Tarantula anti-slip rubber outsole specifically for on ice. Its like they had little shards of glass in the outsoles. As advertised, great for on ice. Got them at Mark's Workwarehouse. Can't seem to find them anymore.

If you have a review, please share it.

CAPS LOCK

Aug 10, 2005
If your gonna be doing extended Ice maintenance get a pair of old shoes or boots and strategically drill some small hex head sheet metal screws in the soles. This will give you grip when edging etc. Any sole when walking on the sheet for extended periods will become very slippery when the rubber gets cold. They also sell little slip on flip flop type things for this but they never worked as well for me. If your looking for a good boot be sure to get fiberglass toes insted of steel. They wont get as cold and keep your feet warmer and will also give you a level of protection from heavy zam blades and propane tanks etc. Water proof is also a huge bonus. walking around with wet feet for a **** sucks.

Hex-Head-Sheet-Metal-Screws.jpg

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
You know what sucks more than walking around with wet feet? Walking around on the tops of screws, lol.

Danglous

Dec 5, 2007
Philly
I would love to get a job at my local rink. Do rinks hire anyone or do you need experience? Is keeping the ice a tough job? I love being around the rink so if I could maybe get a second job there and play some free public hockey it would make me very happy

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
I would love to get a job at my local rink. Do rinks hire anyone or do you need experience? Is keeping the ice a tough job? I love being around the rink so if I could maybe get a second job there and play some free public hockey it would make me very happy
I have no idea about what it's like in Philly but in the GTA in Ontario yeah you can get a job in a rink. You need a special license to drive the zamboni so you couldn't do that but operators don't need any experience normally. If there's a proshop it should be the same thing in there too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad